Rebuilding Laptop Battery

kaushik

My friends are complaining of dead laptop batteries ..
it is a fact that laptop battery normally lasts approx 500 cycles.. that to if one keeps on power chord(may be trickle charge discharge ) they die even faster.

Replacements cost 4 - 5k+ .They should be possible to
remake at a lower cost.

as always ,got some pointers online how to rebuild one.I am sharing here.

Here is one page that has a video..
DIY Laptop Battery The UberReview
battery-hack.jpg

Below link shows 3.7 V 18650 2800mAh battery set that the seller claims to have 2000 cycle(even 1500 :D will make them last 2years) ,
Price approx Rs700 home delivered
:
6 x RECHARGEABLE 3.7 V 18650 2800mAh li-ion Battery GTL - eBay (item 250548139911 end time Jan-12-10 14:45:18 PST)

Adding a DC to DC converter a universal external battery pack should be possible.With some diy skills internal battery can be remade..

suri ..

thanks for the encouragement , doing for a friend.

fiddling with hardware :), the the IC is 38pin TSSOP pack,very tiny legs it has.

I need to find new way to attach the programmer jig.

Kaushikji, more power to you!
My Dell has been giving the evil 4 orange & one long green flashes since some time.
Any gyan you can share to keep the battery running will be gratefully received.

Good one Kaushik,

Will wait for your DIY efffort, am in the process of changing my btty for my HP Laptop...

Adding some info here:
The lithium batteries need a particular type of charging curve and the rise of temperature must be taken care otherwise the batteries may explode (!) .

Because of this dedicated charging controllers are deployed. They have temperature sensor input too to stop charging if the temperature rises.I think to prevent explosion etc hazards
the companies limit at 500 cycles. But many li-ions have 2000cycle life ,this 500 limit is waste of money for laptop users.

One big fact "Dell xps laptop original battery lasted 1 year",
So I see every year get ready to pay 6000Rs to dell.

As a safety measure i have replaced with new cells.costed 1/4th of a new battery :).

kamal, If not doing diy here is a suggestion ,all users using laptop all the time.....

"Buy an UPS,delhi u will get for 700Rs, charge lappy battery to 70%,remove and keep at a cool place.run the laptop from UPS"

Last edited:
Did what cranky mentioned in his post above. Found this on the net:
  • The calibration process basically involves first turning off your screensaver and other power management settings that put the computer to sleep.
  • Connect the AC adapter to the notebook.
  • Charge the battery until the Windows battery meter is at 100%.
  • Remove the AC adapter.
  • Keep the notebook on until the battery has completely drained and the notebook automatically turns off.
  • Connect the AC adapter to the notebook.
  • Keep the AC adapter connected to the notebook until the battery has completely charged.

Worked like a charm.

kamal, If not doing diy here is a suggestion ,all users using laptop all the time.....

"Buy an UPS,delhi u will get for 700Rs, charge lappy battery to 70%,remove and keep at a cool place.run the laptop from UPS"

Didnt understand. keep the laptop battery in the closet or almirah and use UPS to power laptop directly? :rolleyes:

Cheers

Didnt understand. keep the laptop battery in the closet or almirah and use UPS to power laptop directly? :rolleyes:

Cheers

Yes..
If you frequently travel with laptop it will be pain. But if you use the laptop as a regular PC at home,UPS option is better.

It will keep the battery usable for many years,
with savings of 6000Rs/year

Yes..
If you frequently travel with laptop it will be pain. But if you use the laptop as a regular PC at home,UPS option is better.

UPS only provides AC power. I dont get it ...

How did you calculate 6000 per year?

Regards

Allow me to share my experience.
I have a Dell Inspiron 6000 bought early 2006.
Just a year & some days after(naturally!), the 4orange & one long green blips started.
The time on batteries came down progressively to abt 15 mins.After reading the posts on this thread I did some net trolling & came upon a thread where everyone had a similar grouse viz batteries that seem to die afterthe warranty period, forcing owners to go in for new batteries or explore options to get more life from their batteries.
There were posts from techies who had the knowledge to open the batteries & fiddle around with the control hardware.
There were also recommendations for non techies which , briefly advised-
1.Charge the batteries till the icon shows 100%
2.Disable the lowpower & critical alarms completely.
3.Thereafter let the laptop run on batteries till it shuts down.
4.Immdtly recharge to 100%.
5.Repeat this procedure once a month.
There were other hints on how to stretch out new batteries etc also.
I followed this procedure & was astonished to find that the laptop ran for more than 35 mts after the icon in the task bar showed 0%/0 mts.
The battery is now yielding over 1hr 45 mts!
Thank you Kaushik for pointing to other possibilities apart from splurging on new batteries.

Yes..

Many Years?/ Are you sure??
AS battery is made of chemicals it has limited shelf life.In fact I heard from some people that if you keep it uncharged for long it will deteorite fast!
EXPERTS PLEASE CONFIRM THE FACTS............

Also how come savings are Rs 6000 a year????So high??

UPS only provides AC power. I dont get it ...

How did you calculate 6000 per year?

Regards

Ups will give backup,cos i told to remove battery ..plug laptop to UPS just like pc .. u can shutdown on power cut.

I am working to fix a dell xps 9cell battery , lasted 1 year exactly , laptop bought from dell directly .

That battery costs 6.5K.. so the math .

Many Years?/ Are you sure??
AS battery is made of chemicals it has limited shelf life.In fact I heard from some people that if you keep it uncharged for long it will deteorite fast!
EXPERTS PLEASE CONFIRM THE FACTS............

Also how come savings are Rs 6000 a year????So high??

hemant ,
i meant keep the battery charged to 70%, u need to charge it twice a month as it will self dischage.

Battery when kept like that will last 3years atleast ..
Kamal,
ur battery got recalibrated , the controller is not
so it shows wrong info. there are diy ways to correct .
i am making a jig for resetting the dell controller.

Kamal,
ur battery got recalibrated , the controller is not
so it shows wrong info. there are diy ways to correct .
i am making a jig for resetting the dell controller.
Will be waiting for advice....

Ups will give backup,cos i told to remove battery ..plug laptop to UPS just like pc .. u can shutdown on power cut.

I am working to fix a dell xps 9cell battery , lasted 1 year exactly , laptop bought from dell directly .

That battery costs 6.5K.. so the math .

Nice! So you are saying detach battery, connect laptop 12V DC brick to UPS?

Will it startup or will internal circuitry get disabled on removing battery?

How easy is it to remove or slide in battery? ex: use when outside home?

Regards

Nice! So you are saying detach battery, connect laptop 12V DC brick to UPS?

Will it startup or will internal circuitry get disabled on removing battery?

How easy is it to remove or slide in battery? ex: use when outside home?

Regards

yes, yes it will start, removal is as easy as removing milk bottle from a baby ;), again u can easily reattach.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back