My New Camera !

This is a nice camera. However the 1/1.8" sensor is a bit noisy. How much did you pay for it and why didn't you go for a full featured SLR?

Hi,
Thanks for the comments, The cost was the main concern to go for it ! I din want to spend too much on it as I have some other things cooking right now(see my DIY Speaker and Speaker Cable).I've posted the pics taken from the cam so far I've not faced any noise issue ( lucky perhaps ;) !)

I paid 25K for it and seems worth every penny to me !!

Regards.

Hi,

You are right particleman I did have Nikon as one of the options but grey market some steered me away from it and also as you mentioned the lens (if I have make best use of the cam then have to buy the atleast 35MM wide zoom lens which not to mention costs a bomb) so checked all around and the panasonic's FZ50 priced 37K (with bill in most of the places) finally got it at 25k with bill and warranty ( don't know how he gave,But what do I care:p)

Also checked all the photo mags and the net this cam was rated amongst the best and in some they've even compared it Nikon D40 with standard lens,So I didn't want to break my head too much.

Regards.

Hi,

Thanks for the comments buddy !
Yes it was one of the better models in the market and almost very very close to a Digital SLR !! So I bought it, I bought it in bangalore for 25k.

Regards.

Hi,

Thanks for the comments buddy !
Yes it was one of the better models in the market and almost very very close to a Digital SLR !! So I bought it, I bought it in bangalore for 25k.

Regards.

I'd not make such a tall claim. Yes the ergonomics and optics are quite SLR like but the sensor is a far cry from an SLR. An APS-C sensor is around 10 times as big as a 1/8" sensor. So the image quality is gonna be no way close to an SLR.

It all depends on who :rolleyes: take the pic and how skilled :cool: they are in the technique

I'd not make such a tall claim. Yes the ergonomics and optics are quite SLR like but the sensor is a far cry from an SLR. An APS-C sensor is around 10 times as big as a 1/8" sensor. So the image quality is gonna be no way close to an SLR.

It all depends on who :rolleyes: take the pic and how skilled :cool: they are in the technique

Absolutely... the monkey behind the camera is way more important than the camera itself. However better equipment does raise the level of what can be done a bit even for a complete newbie. The simplest case being a technology like image stabilization... it produces more number of usable images no matter whether you are a complete newbie or a seasoned professional.

Hi,
Buddy I've checked the spec of Nikon D40 Digital SLR and not only that as I've already mentioned I've read enough reviews and comparison between both !! So only said that, but even now if you say that its no good then fine by me ! I have a strict policy of no argument ! I have put Nikon D40 Digital SLR cam spec,Please compare it yourself and decide ! Am no expert but the Spec reads loud and clear that Nikon Has 23.7 X 15.6 MM (convert that into inches) its .948 inch (25MM is inch) by .624 inch !! Where as the Panasonic is solid 1 inch by 1.8 inch !! even the max resolution and other aspects says it all, I have nothing more to say !

As I said Am not interested in Arguing,But why in gods name did a monkey come into the camera discussion (its not a discussion either,strictly speaking) is beyond my level of comprehension ! and whats next donkey,zebra and entire ZOO ??:confused:

Sensor ? 23.7 x 15.6 mm CCD sensor
? Nikon DX format (1.5x FOV crop)
? 10.2 million effective pixels
? 10.8 million total pixels
? RGB Color Filter Array
? 12-bit A/D converter
Image sizes ? 3872 x 2592 (Large, 10.0 MP)
? 2896 x 1944 (Medium, 5.6 MP)
? 1936 x 1296 (Small, 2.5 MP)
Image quality ? NEF (12-bit compressed RAW)
? JPEG fine
? JPEG normal
? JPEG basic
? NEF (RAW) + JPEG basic
Color space ? IIIa (sRGB - more green for colourful landscapes) default
? Ia (sRGB)
? II (Adobe RGB)
Lens mount Nikon F mount (with AF contacts)
Lens compatibility
Type G or D AF Nikkor

? AF-S, AF-I
? Other Type G or D AF Nikkor
? PC Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/2.8D

? Other AF Nikkor*2/AI-P Nikkor

? Non-CPU

? IX Nikkor- All functions supported
- All functions supported except autofocus
- Can only be used in mode M; all other functions supported except autofocus
- All functions supported except autofocus and 3D Color Matrix Metering II
- Can be used in mode M, but exposure meter does not function; electronic range finder can be used if maximum aperture is f/5.6 or faster
- Can not be used

Autofocus ? Three area TTL phase detection
? Nikon Multi-CAM530 autofocus module
? Only with AF-S or AF-I lenses
? Detection range: EV -1 to +19 (ISO 100 equivalent, at normal temperature)
Lens servo ? Single-servo AF (AF-S)
? Continuous-servo AF (AF-C)
? Automatic AF-S/AF-C (AF-A)
? Manual focus (M)
AF Area mode ? Single Area AF
? Dynamic Area AF
? Closest Subject Priority Dynamic Area AF
Focus tracking Predictive focus tracking automatically activated according to subject status in continuous-servo AF
Focus area One of three areas can be selected
Focus lock Focus can be locked by pressing shutter-release button halfway (single-servo AF) or by pressing AE-L/AF-L button
AF Assist White light lamp
Exposure mode ? Digital Vari-program
- Auto
- Flash off
- Portrait
- Landscape
- Child
- Sports
- Close up
- Night portrait
? Programmed auto (P) with flexible program
? Shutter-priority auto (S)
? Aperture priority auto (A)
? Manual (M)
Metering TTL full-aperture exposure metering system
? 3D color matrix metering II
? 420 segment RGB sensor
? Center-weighted: Weight of 75% given to a 8mm circle in center of frame
? Spot: Meters 3.5 mm circle (about 2.5% of frame) centered on active focus area
Metering range ? EV 0 to 20 (3D color matrix or center-weighted metering)
? EV 2 to 20 (spot metering) (ISO 100 equivalent, f/1.4 lens, 20 °C)
Meter coupling CPU coupling
Exposure compen. ? +/- 5.0 EV
? 1/3 EV steps
AE Lock Exposure locked at detected value with AE-L/AF-L button
AE Bracketing None
Sensitivity ? Auto
? ISO 100
? ISO 200
? ISO 400
? ISO 800
? ISO 1600
? ISO 3200 equiv. (HI 1)
Auto ISO options ? On/Off
? Maximum ISO (200, 400, 800 or 1600)
? Minimum shutter speed (1 to 1/125 sec)
Shutter ? Combined mechanical and CCD electronic shutter
? 30 to 1/4000 sec (1/3 EV steps)
? Flash X-Sync: up to 1/200 sec
? Bulb
White balance ? Auto (TTL white-balance with 420 pixels RGB sensor)
? Six manual modes with fine-tuning
o Incandescent
o Fluorescent
o Direct sunlight
o Flash
o Cloudy
o Shade
? Preset white balance (immediate or from photo)
WB fine tuning Yes
Image parameters ? Preset modes: Normal, Softer, Vivid, More Vivid, Portrait, B&W
? Sharpening: Auto, 6 levels
? Tone: Auto, 5 levels, Custom curve
? Color mode: Ia (sRGB), II (Adobe RGB), IIIa (sRGB)
? Saturation: Auto, 3 levels
? Hue: -9° to +9°
Viewfinder ? Optical fixed eye-level
? Penta-mirror type
? Built-in diopter adjustment (-1.7 to +0.5 m-1)
? Eyepoint: 18 mm (at -1.0 m-1)
? Frame coverage 95% (approx.)
? Viewfinder magnification approx. 0.8x with 50mm lens at infinity; -1.0 m-1
? Focusing screen: Type B BriteView clear matte screen Mark V with superimposed focus brackets
Viewfinder information
Focus indications, AE/FV lock indicator, Shutter speed, Aperture value, Exposure/Exposure compensation indicator, Exposure mode, Flash output level compensation, Exposure compensation, Number of remaining exposures, Flash-ready indicator

LCD monitor ? 2.5" TFT LCD
? 230,000 pixel
Built-in flash ? Auto pop-up in Auto, Vari-program modes
? Manual pop-up in P, S, A or M modes
? Guide number approx. 17 at ISO 200
Sync contact X-contact only; flash synchronization at shutter speeds of up to 1/200 sec
Flash control
? TTL flash control by 420-segment RGB sensor. i-TTL balanced fill-flash for digital SLR and standard i-TTL fill-flash for digital SLR available when CPU lens is used with built-in flash, SB-400, SB-800, and SB-600
? Auto aperture with SB-800 and CPU lenses
? Non-TTL auto with SB-800, 80DX, 28DX, 28, 27 and 22s
? Range-priority manual with SB-800

Flash mode ? Auto, Portrait, Child, Close-up: Auto, auto with red-eye reduction; fill-flash and red-eye reduction available with optional Speedlight
? Night portrait: Auto, auto slow sync, auto slow sync with red-eye reduction; slow sync and slow sync with red-eye reduction available with optional Speedlight
? Landscape, Sports: Fill-flash and red-eye reduction available with optional Speedlight
? P, A modes: Fill flash, rear-curtain with slow sync, slow sync, slow sync with red-eye reduction, red-eye reduction
? S, M modes: Fill flash, rear-curtain sync, red-eye reduction
Flash compensation ? -3 to +1 EV
? 1/3 steps
Nikon Creative Lighting system Supported with built-in flash, SB-400, SB-800, and SB-600; Advanced Wireless Lighting supported with SB-800 or SU-800 as Commander.
Shooting modes ? Single frame shooting (S) mode
? Continuous shooting (C) mode: approx. 3.0 frames per second (slower with NR)
? Self-timer/remote control mode.
Continuous buffer ? JPEG: Limited only by storage
? RAW: Approx. 9 frames (shooting continues at a slower rate)
Self-timer ? 2, 5, 10 or 20 sec
Remote control ? Remote Control ML-L3 (optional, Infrared)
? Camera Control Pro software (optional)
Text input Up to 36 characters of alphanumeric text input is available with LCD monitor and multi-selector; stored in EXIF header
Playback functions ? Full frame
? Thumbnail (4 or 9 segments)
? Zoom (magnified)
? Slideshow
? Histogram indication
? Shooting data
? Highlight point display
? Auto image rotation
Orientation sensor Yes
Storage ? Secure Digital / Secure Digital HC
? FAT / FAT32
? Supports firmware update via SD card
Video output NTSC or PAL selectable
Connectivity ? USB 2.0 (Hi-Speed)
? Mass storage / PTP selectable
? Video out
? DC-IN (optional AC adapter and adapter connector)
Languages
Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish

Power Lithium-Ion battery pack EN-EL9 (7.4 V, 1000 mAh)
Working environment ? 0 to 40°C (32 to 104°F)
? Less than 85% humidity
Dimensions 126 x 94 x 64 mm (5.0 x 3.7 x 2.5 in)
Weight (no batt) 471 g (1.0 lb)
Weight (inc. batt)
522 g (1.2 lb)

Regards.

Hi,
Please compare it yourself and decide ! Am no expert but the Spec reads loud and clear that Nikon Has 23.7 X 15.6 MM (convert that into inches) its .948 inch (25MM is inch) by .624 inch !! Where as the Panasonic is solid 1 inch by 1.8 inch !! even the max resolution and other aspects says it all, I have nothing more to say !

You are completely wrong on that. APS-C is 23mmx15mm or so, full frame is 36mmx24mm. However this camera is (1/1.8)th of an inch for the diagonal or 7mmx5mm roughly. Thats roughly 1/10th the area of an APS-C sensor. Even medium format is not 1inchx1.8inch. A sensor of that size will cost 100000$ or more.

Last edited:
Hi,

Ohh by the way these are few of my older analogue camera's ! I just wanted show these and say that I've been using camera's since I was child (10 or so) have grown up on these (now that Am XX ) So I do have some basic knowledge of camera's I think !! Again Am no expert ! Am not in any field ,Just a student of electronics.

Regards,

P1020923.JPG

P1020927.JPG

P1020929.JPG

P1020931.JPG

Hi,

May be so ! but they are treasure to me ! So I'll take what you said as a compliment ! as with the APS-C Vs the non that you've given figures , I don't want to comment anything and start a new scene ;)! may be you are right ! but as always not necessary that the other is bad ! So hope to just enjoy my cam !

Regards.

Last edited:
Wasn't meant to be derogatory at all and infact a complement. Even I have a super old canon FD mount SLR sitting somewhere though of late, I've been only using EOS as manual focussing is too much of a pain.

Hi,

Ok thats why I told I'll take it as compliment !! No hard feelings I guess:D.

btw I did do some research and found this (just to clarify) ! correct me if I've mis-understood this ! according to this its clearly saying that there isn't too much difference between the two (thats also the primary reason for me saying that mine is close to D-SLR) !

FourThirds is the name of the Kodak/Panasonic/Olympus/etc sensor initiative. It was perhaps derived from the 3:4 format proportion.

For reference, the formats are...

sensor: format - hxw in mm - diagonal in mm
2/3 sensor: 3:4 - 6.6x8.8mm - 11mm
FourThirds: 3:4 - 13.5x18mm - 22.5mm
Canon "APS-C": 2:3 - 15x22.5mm - 27.04mm
Nikon/Pentax/Minolta "APS-C": 2:3 - 15.7x23.5mm - 28.3mm

If you compare a 6Mpixel Canon APS-C sensor with a FourThirds 5Mpixel sensor, and consider cropping to an 8.5x11 paper format print with either, you'll see that the difference in size is in reality very small. FourThirds is smaller but not by a very large percentage.

So from the above figures,what do we see ?

Regards.

Hi,

btw I did do some research and found this (just to clarify) ! correct me if I've mis-understood this ! according to this its clearly saying that there isn't too much difference between the two (thats also the primary reason for me saying that mine is close to D-SLR) !

FourThirds is the name of the Kodak/Panasonic/Olympus/etc sensor initiative. It was perhaps derived from the 3:4 format proportion.

If you compare a 6Mpixel Canon APS-C sensor with a FourThirds 5Mpixel sensor, and consider cropping to an 8.5x11 paper format print with either, you'll see that the difference in size is in reality very small. FourThirds is smaller but not by a very large percentage.

Regards.

Yup 4/3rds is a decent sensor but your camera doesn't use 4/3rds. It only exists in Oly/Panasonic DSLRs as of now. Yours is a 1/1.8" sensor.

Hi,

Regards.

Very informative and interesting thread soundsgreat!

I have been contemplating between Micro Four Thirds camera like a Olympus Pen E-P1 and Panasonic GF1 or GH1

Any ideas on these models.

With so many budding photo enthusiast here I think the MOD here should look into starting a new photography forum.:eek:hyeah:

Hi Everyone...

Glad to know that there are so many photography fans! I'd recently upgraded from Fuji FinePix S9600 to Canon EOS 500D. Also purchased the 18-55mm and 55-250mm lens, along with filters, lens hood.

I've been into photography since fifth grade and started with a Canon Snappy 50! and then to Yashica FX-3 and my fathers proud Canon A-1!

For those of you who have their old cameras... Please dont throw them away for the love of photography...

Thanks,

Nitin

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back