receiver/amp advice

steamcracker

Hi all,
I am in US rite now and planning to buy a receiver from here. my budget 200 -300 USD. options (amazon :))
Yamaha 363, 397
Onkyo 506, 8255, 8555
HK 3390

I will primarily be using for streo setup. I like the 363 and 506 cos they have MP3 optimizer which will be good as I wil be using my Ipod and computer for the audio source in the beginning I know they are AV receivers and not the best suited for streo setup. For speakers I an keen on buying Wahferdales or good FS in Rs 15- 20K in India cos of weight issues. I like Rock, instrumental - Yanni, piano etc, and punjabi pretty varied I know. please suggest the best amongst the above options. other suggestions welcomed too.

Looking at the amplifier's features & specifications, I suggest the Harman Kardon 3390 from your list. Regarding speakers, you can go for the Wharfedale Diamond 9.5 or the Mission M34i. Both are decent performers and value for money speakers under 25K INR.

Cheers :)

Hi,
You can buy HK 3490 from online store such as One call or jr.com for just $ 299 . You could get WF floor standers at a discount 10-15 % on MRP. 9.5s are sold at 23K. by some dealers.
Ajithlal

Last edited:
thanks for the replys. has anyone had any experience with the MP3 optimizer feature. for the speakers I was considering Diamond 9.1/9.2

You mention that you are aware that AVRs are not the best for stereo playback, but you mention that most of your use will be stereo, then why exactly are you going for an AVR? For that same money you can buy a good stereo amp, why don't you consider that. Remember that you will need a high quality transformer for the voltage in India.

Punjabi music, rock etc., the 9.5 floorstanders might be better suited than the 9.1s or 9.2s.

thanks for the replys. has anyone had any experience with the MP3 optimizer feature. for the speakers I was considering Diamond 9.1/9.2

psychotropic
the prob is that i will be using a lot of music from my Ipod and I feel the mp3 optimizer function will do well. Am i right or wrong. I dont want to go with NAD as the donot have an integrated radio (if i am not wrong). I would like to have radio too in my receiver. I understand your comment about the transformer. my budget is around 30K. is it possible that you could suggest me a conf. that I could buy in India as that I will not have to get anything from US and forget about the transformer issues.

If you are truly interested in good sound, MP3s cannot be a long term answer for you, and to build your system around a single factor of making MP3s sound good, is not a great idea. Also, aren't there MP3 optimizers that you can put into your ipod itself? I really don't know how these ipods work, i myself only have a transcend flash player that i used primarily while jogging or travelling.

Why don't you use the 30k, get a good system, and then slowly try and move to audio CDs, or at least high bit-rate (320 kbps) MP3s or lossless files on your iPod?

For 30k in India do you want to buy the amplifier and speakers? if so then you could consider the CA 340SE amplifier and Wharfedale 9.1s, together it would set you back by about 26-27k (or for 30k, the 9.2s). You could also consider the NAD C315BEE, although i suspect the CA might be better suited for your tastes.

One option that you could also consider, and I am saying this becaues of the MP3 factor is to just get a pair of Audioengine A5. They are apparently excellent powered speakers (with built in amplification) and they cost 20k in India. They are apparently very good with MP3s, but at the same time do excellent reproduction of more pristine audio sources..... For the rest of the money you can even buy a good radio, or some stands for the A5 speakers. Do read the reviews of the A5.

psychotropic
the prob is that i will be using a lot of music from my Ipod and I feel the mp3 optimizer function will do well. Am i right or wrong. I dont want to go with NAD as the donot have an integrated radio (if i am not wrong). I would like to have radio too in my receiver. I understand your comment about the transformer. my budget is around 30K. is it possible that you could suggest me a conf. that I could buy in India as that I will not have to get anything from US and forget about the transformer issues.

If you are truly interested in good sound, MP3s cannot be a long term answer for you, and to build your system around a single factor of making MP3s sound good, is not a great idea. Also, aren't there MP3 optimizers that you can put into your ipod itself? I really don't know how these ipods work, i myself only have a transcend flash player that i used primarily while jogging or travelling.

Why don't you use the 30k, get a good system, and then slowly try and move to audio CDs, or at least high bit-rate (320 kbps) MP3s or lossless files on your iPod?

For 30k in India do you want to buy the amplifier and speakers? if so then you could consider the CA 340SE amplifier and Wharfedale 9.1s, together it would set you back by about 26-27k (or for 30k, the 9.2s). You could also consider the NAD C315BEE, although i suspect the CA might be better suited for your tastes.

One option that you could also consider, and I am saying this becaues of the MP3 factor is to just get a pair of Audioengine A5. They are apparently excellent powered speakers (with built in amplification) and they cost 20k in India. They are apparently very good with MP3s, but at the same time do excellent reproduction of more pristine audio sources..... For the rest of the money you can even buy a good radio, or some stands for the A5 speakers. Do read the reviews of the A5.

Hi,

Totally agree with psychotropic. I have gone with Audioengine speakers for my PC since I listen to a lot of music on the PC and most of my music collection is in mp3, wma, ogg, etc. formats. Getting a good CD player/AVR/speakers is an option if you have an extensive Audio CD collection.

Coming to the "MP3 optimizer" bit, it will make a difference but do not really expect magic, but yes it will enhance it and it will certainly sound good. I use the Dolby PLII Music mode on the AVR when playing my mp3s via a budget Philips DVD player and it certainly sounds good. I have heard with this "MP3 optimizer" feature turned on and it certainly adds more punch and bang for the buck so to say. Just will not elevate mp3s to pristine audiophile quality though. I have personally found the Audioengine speakers did a better job though and also they make more sense financially too especially for playing off of an iPod or a PC. I would certainly recommend Augioengine A2 at 10K or A5 at 20K based on your requirement and you should audition them personally carrying your iPod with your collection of music. They are certainly an option rather than going for a new AVR/speakers and a standalone CD player.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back