Recent Tamil movie song recording quality

This thread reminds me of the days of my biannual trips to chennai from delhi. In those days (circa late 70s and 80s)we hardly got to listen to latest tamil songs in Delhi.So once the ritual visit to relatives started i used to pester my cousins(lot of them) to list me the best songs released since my last visit. I used to listen to radio also in chennai. I used to compile a list of at least 100 songs in a couple of weeks. Then search for nearest good quality recording shop started. If the recording was album wise then the charges were less. But if one had to pick and choose the songs then the rates for recording per cassette was higher.
The shopkeepers had a hard time:lol::mad: with me as if recordings contained crackle,pop etc of vinyl at any point they had to rerecord the songs.
the net result was that i had an enviable collection at the end of the trip which my cousins did not have as i had collected the songs from various sources.:):)
Basically it was recorded in C-60 songs as C-90(90 minutes) cassette were not supposed to be kind to cassette players due to their longer playing period and it was also quicker to rewind etc. with 60 minute cassettes end to end.

I had a few collection too. My brother had a friend in Pondicherry (he passed away few years ago) and he visited him once in a while. The recording quality was really good. He also bought boxes of blank cassettes which were cheaper there. He bought his YP woofers from there (good sound).

Hi all,

Some of the good recordings of Ilaiyaraaja, worthy of mention are:

1. Aanandakummi
2. Naan Paadum paadal
3. Udayageetham
4. Mouna Raaagam (Mono)
5. Ninaivellam Nithya
6. Agni Natchathiram
7. Moondram Pirai
8. Thendralae ennai thodu
9. Kunguma Chimizh (Mono)
10. Kozhikoovuthu
11. Kaithiyin Diary
12. Poonthota Kaavalkaran
13. Payanangal Mudivathillai
14. Pudhu kavithai
15. Paadu Nilavae
16. Sipikul Muthu
17. Dharma Pathini(Mono)
18. Unnakagavae Vaazhkiraen (Mono)
19. Kadalora kavithaigal
20. Punnagai Mannan
21. Vikram
22. Poovizhi Vaasalilae
23. Solla thudikuthu manasu
24. Karagattakaran,
25. Enga Ooru pattukaran
26 En rasavin Manasilae
27. Pudhiya Raagam
28. Thangamagan
29. Kaakisattai
30. Andha Oru Nimidam
31. Soorasamharam
32. Kaadhal Parisu
33. Singara Velan
34. Nayagan
35. Thani Kaatu Rajaa
36. PillaiNila
37. Vellaikaaran
38. Indrunee naalainaan
39. Unnai naan santhithaen
40. Sindhu Bhairavi
41. Varusham 16
42. Gopura Vasalilae
43. Priya (Tamil's First 16-Track Stereo)
44. Alaigal Oyvathillai
45. Vaidehi Kaathirunthaal (Mono)
46. Padikathavan (Mono)
47. Panakkaran
48. Maapillai
49. Thoongathae thambi thoongathae
50. Shatriyan
51. Patta kathi Bhairavan
52. Naanae Raja Naanae Mandiri
53. Rajarishi
54. Poovae poo choodavaa
55. Kokkarako
56. Amman koil kizhakkalae
57. Vellai Roja
58. Mudhal mariyadhai
59. Aan Paavam
60. Mudhal Vasantham
61. Pudhu Pudhu Arthangal
62. Michael Madana Kama Rajan
63. Guna .................................etc. :licklips:

Dont judge the recordings from the commercially available CDs, listen to his LPs then you will know for your self.

N.Murali

Hi Murali,

Just chanced upon this post; I'm a noob to this forum.
I have almost 90% percent of the titles though have not gotten around to listen to each and every one. One that I think is not mentioned would be Aruvadai Naal. I must say the first track.....Deivanin Koyil is my go-to track to impress friends. Room filling and the sound sort of envelopes you.
Was surprised to learn that Guna was released in LP format.

Cheers

I dont think so it should be re-recorded it will loose itz charm and beauty. Earlier recording are best.
Many cover versions of english songs are better than the original and badly recorded versions of IR definitely deserve their own cover versions by current day singers, and they may even better the originals. I always wonder why it is not being done here, even in HIndi... and LPs/TTs are possessed only by a miniscule of people...and we know how difficult it is to source good condition records. Cover versions are like new version of old classic movies, it may be better or worse, but they can try... Music of IR should not be exclusive only to people with TT/LPs.

Last edited:
True True.
Many cover versions of english songs are better than the original and badly recorded versions of IR definitely deserve their own cover versions by current day singers, and they may even better the originals. I always wonder why it is not being done here, even in HIndi... and LPs/TTs are possessed only by a miniscule of people...and we know how difficult it is to source good condition records. Cover versions are like new version of old classic movies, it may be better or worse, but they can try... Music of IR should not be exclusive only to people with TT/LPs.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back