Recommendations for modern turntables

kratu

I’m considering few of these modern turntables. If someone here owns/owned any of these or have auditioned them, I’d be keen on knowing your thoughts.

Rega RP6/RP8
Clearaudio Concept (Basic/Active)
Technics 1200mk7/1500c
Scheu Audio Cello Classic

Apart from superior engineering, performance, low-noise characteristics, I'm also keen on the aesthetics.

I’m also open to getting some recommendations (under 3L budget). Although, I’m open to suggestions on the vintage turntables, but the focus here is the newer turntables. (Also I have my eyes set only on Gerrard 301).

The budget is for turntable only? or including tonearm?

All the best.
As far as I know, the newer turntables listed here come as a package, including tonearm. So, I was considering that in when I mentioned about the budget.

As far as I know, the newer turntables listed here come as a package, including tonearm. So, I was considering that in when I mentioned about the budget.
I have the Kuzma Stabi S turntable. I am very satisfied with it . You may consider it . You may buy it new from abroad and explore a pre-owned Kuzma tonerarm ( Stogi reference ) .
You may have up your budget by a lakh or so.

I have a Dr. Feickert Volare purchased recently. It's the entry level TT from Dr Feickert. Upgraded from a Rega Planar 6 (with Ania) which was already very good. Didn't expect to see a big difference, but there is a massive difference. The backgrounds are quieter, detail a lot more and the sound is much fuller and impactful. Couldn't be more thrilled.

@Naturelover
I’ll explore this further. It’s good to see a custom-make in India. The tonearm has an ‘antique’ aesthetic.

@oracle1974
Kuzma is interesting, especially their Kuzma Stabi M. I’m currently looking at options reachable within India.

@sydney I'll explore Origin Live, Avid, AudioNote. These along with @CircleGame suggested Dr. Feickert Volare seem like precision instruments. A characteristic that I find common in the high end turntable space.

Hope you must have come across VPI Industries TTs,their Prime series Signature TT has good reviews
Yes, I've heard of VPI. There are quite a few premium turntables in the reference range. Most of these turntables brands are not represented in India. So, this has to be a blind buy. Also, I find many of them to look like lab instruments. I'd rather prefer a minimal, simple design that looks like a turntable. Clearaudio Concept fits that bill. It's relatively accessible (in terms of cost and availability). I'm wondering if there are others closer to that.

Yes, I've heard of VPI. There are quite a few premium turntables in the reference range. Most of these turntables brands are not represented in India. So, this has to be a blind buy. Also, I find many of them to look like lab instruments. I'd rather prefer a minimal, simple design that looks like a turntable. Clearaudio Concept fits that bill. It's relatively accessible (in terms of cost and availability). I'm wondering if there are others closer to that.
I do agree majority of premium TT brands do not have representation in india,however
VPI brand has authorised dealer “Harmonie Audio” in Kolkata,they do have PRIME series TT in stock as per their web information.Check the below web links

I would consider the one made by Tariq of Noida. He said that he is trying to replicate a Rs14lakh TT at a sub Rs3l price point. He seems to know his stuff. Many people here including me have got high end cartridges redone by him and are happy. His TT will definitely be worth a serious look.

Clearaudio Concept is my first TT. Purchased in 2016 and preferred it over Rega and Project. To be fair, the Rega and Project that I compared the Concept with was not in the same price range. The concept did sound fuller. Subsequently, I upgraded to a VPI prime. Some months back, I had set it up and I could hear that there is a speed issue. I was worrying if there is a motor issue.Spoke to the dealer and he was confident that it was a belt issue and there can never be a problem with their motor. He was right. Such is German engineering.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back