Recommendations please!

soham

Hi, you wonderful hi-fiites!

I have been trying to gauge what to buy and have followed this forum for last few weeks; although I feel quite enriched, I still cannot decide what to go for and hence this request:

I am looking for a suitable system for our 22 ft x 11 ft bedroom to hook up with 32 inch LCD and a DVD player. Usage typically is one-third each of music, movie and television. TV viewing is one-third each of musical shows, movie channels and news. Viewing distance is 10 ft. The room walls are 60% brick, 20% wood, 10% glass and 10% curtains.

I am considering 2.1 system now, upgradable to 5.1 in future, with a current budget of about 50k, though not a big constraint. I tried auditions in vain, because most guys demonstrated HTIB, which we did not enjoy, or high-end systems, which are far too costly. We love floor speakers and would like to have a system with these.

Can you folks provide few best combinations of AVR and speakers to buy for my requiremnt?

Thanks a lot for going through this.

hi soham
are you looking at satellite speakers or bookshelves. for bookshelves some brands you can look at for speakers are monitor audio bronze (if you dont mind spending a bit more the silver series is well worth it), kef iq series, wharfedale diamond series. i've got no clue if its satellites youre looking for

for a avr check out onkyo, denon, yamaha. i dont like hk for music so i would leave that out since you enjoy your music

first settle on the speakers and then match it with a suitable amp

I have been trying to gauge what to buy and have followed this forum for last few weeks; although I feel quite enriched, I still cannot decide what to go for and hence this request:

I am looking for a suitable system for our 22 ft x 11 ft bedroom to hook up with 32 inch LCD and a DVD player. Usage typically is one-third each of music, movie and television. TV viewing is one-third each of musical shows, movie channels and news. Viewing distance is 10 ft. The room walls are 60% brick, 20% wood, 10% glass and 10% curtains.

I am considering 2.1 system now, upgradable to 5.1 in future, with a current budget of about 50k, though not a big constraint. I tried auditions in vain, because most guys demonstrated HTIB, which we did not enjoy, or high-end systems, which are far too costly. We love floor speakers and would like to have a system with these.

Can you folks provide few best combinations of AVR and speakers to buy for my requiremnt?

Hi Soham:

Warm welcome!

Initially, like you, I too had the same 50k budget, and was leaning mostly on FS, later i blew the budget away for what am having now, anyway that's me.

You cannot go wrong with these combo for a 2-channel setup:

1. CA 540 A&C + MS 906i.
2. CA 540 A&C + Diamond 9.5.
3. Marantz PM6002 A&C + Diamond 9.5.
4. NAD 325BEE and cdp + Diamond 9.5.

Hey Buddy

Welcome to the forum...!!!
Hope you find a system that suits you...!!! :p HeHe

Buddy, first of all when you are looking in for a system which should be balanced for Movie/Music/TV...
Then you need a balanced amplifier for the same for that i will suggest you to go in for Denon, as its pretty balanced, for budget and performance...
You can go in for Denon - 1708 priced @ Rs.30K or Denon - 1709 priced @ Rs.34K...

Now comes the speaker part...
As others suggested i will even suggest you some of the same...
1). Wharfedale 9 series
2). Polk Tsi Series
3). Q Acoustics 1000i series

Out of the above i will suggest Q Acoustics, as i am suggesting all others, as its taking a edge over both Polk n Wharfedale..

To suggest you, you can go in for the below :
1). Denon - 1708 @ Rs.30K
2). Q Acoustics - 1010i @ Rs.11,750
3). Q Acoustics - 1000ci @ Rs.11,750
4). Cables - Rs.3K approx

Total Rs.56.5K

then you can later update the Floor Standers 1050i @ Rs.38K
after tht you can transfer the 1010i to the rear as surrounds...
then the subwoofer @ Rs.20K to complete your 5.1 system...

The setup is well suited for your requirement...
and will adjust in your budget...

Go on and audition a few...

Probably you need to go to Mumbai, Delhi or Bangalore for all the audition...

Thanks, Mridul; I have been travelling all this week hence the delay in response. Thanks for your valuable suggestion. I will first try getting audition for this combo and tha-en comment further.

Message for Vinod David:

Thanks, my friend. This surely seems to be the kind of feedback I was looking for. Let me get back to you after trying to manage auditions for these combos.

Last edited:
[
Thanks afj; I am looking for specific model recommendations for AVR, Floor Speakers and Sub-woofer that will satisfy the needs I mentioned initially.

QUOTE=afj;43653]hi soham
are you looking at satellite speakers or bookshelves. for bookshelves some brands you can look at for speakers are monitor audio bronze (if you dont mind spending a bit more the silver series is well worth it), kef iq series, wharfedale diamond series. i've got no clue if its satellites youre looking for

for a avr check out onkyo, denon, yamaha. i dont like hk for music so i would leave that out since you enjoy your music

first settle on the speakers and then match it with a suitable amp[/QUOTE]

How are Jamo 506,606?

The Ahmedabad-based dealer seems to be closing down; any idea whether the country distributors Decibels India are continuing or not?

[
Thanks afj; I am looking for specific model recommendations for AVR, Floor Speakers and Sub-woofer that will satisfy the needs I mentioned initially.

QUOTE=afj;43653]hi soham

first settle on the speakers and then match it with a suitable amp
[/QUOTE]

we cant really point you towards one particular brand - everyone has their own preferences and each system has its own characteristics. i would say that the kefs and the monitor audios are definitely better than the wharfedales but the wharfedales are also cheaper. if youre buying a sub, i dont think you would need floorstanders - bookshelves would do. you need to go out and listen to a few brands and then decide which one you prefer

How are Jamo 506,606?

The Ahmedabad-based dealer seems to be closing down; any idea whether the country distributors Decibels India are continuing or not?

Hi Soham:

I had auditioned Jamo 606 with Marantaz PM7001 and it blew me away, wonderful synergy, and 606 is a good speaker indeed. Cinebels here in Chennai deals with them. Please audition them, you might like it.

Hi Soham:

I had auditioned Jamo 606 with Marantaz PM7001 and it blew me away, wonderful synergy, and 606 is a good speaker indeed. Cinebels here in Chennai deals with them. Please audition them, you might like it.

i think just the opposite. I had listened to jamo s606 paired with an CA and a NAD 325 - i just felt the midrange (actually a lot in the range) was simply missing. The c series is good c407 (for 40k+) but definately not the 606. But then again if someone likes it - so be it.

Just that since speakers stay with us for a long long time - audition well and listen wisely

Thank you, Vinod; I will revert later!

Hi Soham:

Thanks Suprateep; your observations noted with due sincerity!

i think just the opposite. I had listened to jamo s606 paired with an CA and a NAD 325 - i just felt the midrange (actually a lot in the range) was simply missing. The c series is good c407 (for 40k+) but definately not the 606. But then again if someone likes it - so be it.

Just that since speakers stay with us for a long long time - audition well and listen wisely

Thanks afj; are you sure I don't need floor speakers as against a combination of book shelves and sub? This confuses me.

we cant really point you towards one particular brand - everyone has their own preferences and each system has its own characteristics. i would say that the kefs and the monitor audios are definitely better than the wharfedales but the wharfedales are also cheaper. if youre buying a sub, i dont think you would need floorstanders - bookshelves would do. you need to go out and listen to a few brands and then decide which one you prefer[/QUOTE]

Thanks afj; are you sure I don't need floor speakers as against a combination of book shelves and sub? This confuses me.

we cant really point you towards one particular brand - everyone has their own preferences and each system has its own characteristics. i would say that the kefs and the monitor audios are definitely better than the wharfedales but the wharfedales are also cheaper. if youre buying a sub, i dont think you would need floorstanders - bookshelves would do. you need to go out and listen to a few brands and then decide which one you prefer
[/QUOTE]

a bookshelf is a floorstander minus the lower range (bass). if you put in the sub then you dont need the bass from the floorstanders

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back