Record Outer Sleeve

arindamcc

Which Outer Sleeve are better POLYETHYLENE or POLYPROPYLENE ? Mylar Sleeve are very expensive.

I use polyethylene sleeves. They are more transparent than polypropylene and don't become foggy with time. Some of my albums came in polypropylene sleeves and I have not bothered to change them.

Some of the albums are with cellophane covering that was there when I had bought the album. In such albums I slit open the cellophane just enough to let me take out the LP. The cellophane cover protects the album art.

Most important is to store the albums correctly and in a dust free place.

fifty rupees each?

Are you offering a free LP with that?

Google sample pricing

If you want quality then you have to pay for it Thad! Its a clearly better outer sleeve that doesn't get cloudy. Manufactured from crystal 350 micron clear polypropylene, sleeves that fit loose over the outer LP Jacket. Discounts are available for large numbers. These sleeves are made of imported material and not local stuff that is available in India.

Honestly, I don't know if I'm right or wrong on this --- but I remain shocked. Frankly, I'd be loathe to pay that, converted to , in London, where it is the price of a mug of tea in a cafe.

If I can get a cover for less than Rs10 I can replace it five times even if it does go cloudy or brittle.

Of course, buying from abroad is usually more complex than just picking the lowest price that Google throws up. But still...

My opinion is to go DIY on this front, however if you have a huge collection, that would become a challenge. I am going to start on my 500 records, one a day :)

Back in the day, as our American cousins say, we used to use our record covers for all sorts of stuff, quite apart from not really taking a great deal of care of them.

With the careful handling and proper storage that a modern-day analogue-sound enthusiast is going to give them, perhaps an extra layer of protection is not really necessary. Would you cover all your books? Well, some people would, and do, and no doubt they will buy sleeves for their LPs too. Fair enough.

If I was to suddenly morph into Analogue Man, a dedicated spinner of vinyl in today's tough modern world...* I'd spend my money on the inner sleeve, because that's what protects the thing that matters most, and the thing that is most fragile: the record itself.

Sorry, Absolute Phase. Didn't mean to hijack the thread --- but, obviously all products get a reaction, and reactions, like investment values, can go up or down.

*Edit: Joke Alert! no offence meant to anybody, just me having a crazy moment inspired by The Incredible Hulk etc :eek:

Last edited:
I have only spent for outer sleevs for thos LPs that had a outer jacket nostalgic for me since my father once got them when he was of my age) left, with time the outer jackets start developing wear and tear and eventually perish no matter how carefully you handle. This is the case with the LPs that are 30 to 40 years old and are no longer in production (kind of . I got the outer ones only to protect these. For the other ones where there is no outer jacket left, I only got the acid free paper sleeves which in some cases is also poly lined.

I have only spent for outer sleevs for thos LPs that had a outer jacket nostalgic for me since my father once got them when he was of my age) left, with time the outer jackets start developing wear and tear and eventually perish no matter how carefully you handle.
I thought that Sellotape was an essential part of the analogue experience! And, the yellow marks it leaves when it dries and falls off. Hint: if you have to use tape, use 3M Magic tape.

I envy those who have kept LPs in good shape for many years. I have some classical albums bought pre-1970, but I doubt that any are playable now

Back in the day, as our American cousins say, we used to use our record covers for all sorts of stuff, quite apart from not really taking a great deal of care of them.

With the careful handling and proper storage that a modern-day analogue-sound enthusiast is going to give them, perhaps an extra layer of protection is not really necessary. Would you cover all your books? Well, some people would, and do, and no doubt they will buy sleeves for their LPs too. Fair enough.

If I was to suddenly morph into Analogue Man, a dedicated spinner of vinyl in today's tough modern world...* I'd spend my money on the inner sleeve, because that's what protects the thing that matters most, and the thing that is most fragile: the record itself.

Sorry, Absolute Phase. Didn't mean to hijack the thread --- but, obviously all products get a reaction, and reactions, like investment values, can go up or down.

*Edit: Joke Alert! no offence meant to anybody, just me having a crazy moment inspired by The Incredible Hulk etc :eek:

Thad, respect your views no problem! You are talking to a guy who has over 1000 lps, I know the price hurts for me too, but end of the day I rather use high quality stuff rather than some cheap stuff!

I forgot to mention that we are indeed offering a discount for 100, 200 & 300 sleeves. THe more you buy the cheaper it is.

End of the day this amazing forum is meant for us music lovers and we can go to any extent to keep our collection safe. If I pay Rs 2000 for a 180gm/200gm Audiophile LP, then I do not mind replacing the inner sleeve to a MOFI Anti-static one and the outer to a better thicker sleeve.

Everyone has an opinion and we must respect that!! IMHO to each his own!

I think this calls for a group buy!

I usually try to pick up packs of 100 or 200 outer sleeves whenever I get the chance. Sleevecity is good, but the shipping cost is the killer.

With the analog comeback, I'm sure we can find some cheap inner and outer sleeves that can be easily manufactured here? Or is that asking for a bit too much?

End of the day this amazing forum is meant for us music lovers and we can go to any extent to keep our collection safe. If I pay Rs 2000 for a 180gm/200gm Audiophile LP, then I do not mind replacing the inner sleeve to a MOFI Anti-static one and the outer to a better thicker sleeve.

Everyone has an opinion and we must respect that!! IMHO to each his own!

Cheers! :)

As I've said, it is too late for my LP collection, and I am not, at this time, planning to go vinyl again. In fact, I don't really buy music these days: I listen to what I have or go out and hear it live.

I'm sure, though, that much of the damage that vinyl so easily suffers happens when taking in or out of that inner sleeve For those who would like to make their new collections last a lifetime, are you stocking the sleeves you mention? (even if the price does horrify me! ;))

I think this calls for a group buy!

I usually try to pick up packs of 100 or 200 outer sleeves whenever I get the chance. Sleevecity is good, but the shipping cost is the killer.

With the analog comeback, I'm sure we can find some cheap inner and outer sleeves that can be easily manufactured here? Or is that asking for a bit too much?

Hi all,

I also use both inner & outer sleeves frm Sleevecity. They are good VFM (besides P&P). Recently got the following Japanese source.

100 Plastic Record Inner Sleeves 12" LP LD "Made in Japan" | eBay

Any comment/experience with these ones? BTW I enquired for P&P which is as follows(For 3x100 sleeves)

Small Packet Registered Air Mail(7 to 14 days) --- $41,
Small Packet Registered SAL(14 to 28 days) --- $32,
Small Packet Air Mail (7 to 14 days) --- $35,
Small Packet SAL(14 to 28 days) --- $27

Thanks & best regards,

Bhaskar

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back