Reliance Broadband - Thunder 1099 Plan - 4 Mbps No FUP - Is it true?

Very Honestly speaking, I have had an airtel connection for 8.5 years and never had a speed issue. True to their contention ratio of 1:1, their speed is as promised, had a lot of downtime but that was due to my Belkin Router. :p

You must be on a leased line to get a contention ratio of 1:1 with Airtel.

I doubt Airtel provides a contention ratio of 1:1 even on shared business broadband lines leave alone shared home broadband. They used to claim 1:1 on their home broadband plan page's but that info' has been removed since quite a while.

Or perhaps you are referring to download/upload speeds which can appear to be symmetrical, but do change every now and then depending on what's going on in their network.

Hi everyone!

Can anyone tell me if this 1099 plan 4mbps of Reliance gives a Static or Dynamic IP ??

Its Dynamic IP, DHCP.

Dynamic IP....Damn...That's one of the tantrum used by these Internet providers.

Dynamic ip means...one has to login to a startup page, that keeps logging off the internet after some duration.
One can't just think of putting the PC idle to complete some background tasks such as downloading :annoyed:

I am facing the grudge of Dynamic IP now a days, because earlier I used Airtel and they had given static ip; but very costly and all that FUP crap!!

Now I have taken a 1 Mbps without FUP from Hathway and they have this dynamic IP ...very annoying....

You must be on a leased line to get a contention ratio of 1:1 with Airtel.

I doubt Airtel provides a contention ratio of 1:1 even on shared business broadband lines leave alone shared home broadband. They used to claim 1:1 on their home broadband plan page's but that info' has been removed since quite a while.

Or perhaps you are referring to download/upload speeds which can appear to be symmetrical, but do change every now and then depending on what's going on in their network.

You got it all wrong, right there. My connection has a contention ratio of 1:1. The Uploads/Downloads are very different as to contention Ratio.
However, My Download speed is 450 Kbps+ all the time.

Dynamic IP....Damn...That's one of the tantrum used by these Internet providers.

Dynamic ip means...one has to login to a startup page, that keeps logging off the internet after some duration.
One can't just think of putting the PC idle to complete some background tasks such as downloading :annoyed:

I am facing the grudge of Dynamic IP now a days, because earlier I used Airtel and they had given static ip; but very costly and all that FUP crap!!

Now I have taken a 1 Mbps without FUP from Hathway and they have this dynamic IP ...very annoying....

dynamic or static has nothing to do I guess with the login client. Like BSNL offers both but the ADSL modem can be configured to auto connect on disconnection. So better check with your provider if they have any installable client.

dynamic or static has nothing to do I guess with the login client. Like BSNL offers both but the ADSL modem can be configured to auto connect on disconnection. So better check with your provider if they have any installable client.

Thanks haisaikat!
I'm not sure how to do it in Modem.
But I found this link by a little google and somebody has provided a very nice solution to my problem.
Code Junction: Auto Hathway Authentication

I personally have a fivenet 10mbps connection at my mumbai flat... While downloading popular torrents it gives me 35-80mbps speed instead of 10mbps as they cache torrent data(just like they have been cacheing YouTube data for years now)... Pretty happy with the speed & reliability & can download insane amts of data on it :)... Right now as far as I know the price for a 1 yr plan is around 17k depending on which area u are in... Totally recommended for ppl looking at downloading 3D Isos & other big files...

No coverage for a famous place in Chennai :(

I am from Saligramam -Chennai, and i applied through all possible ways provided by Reliance to request this broadband connection (Mail, online & toll free call)
Crap, they never responded with right replies.

Later got a contact of reliance rep through my friend for another area (Nungambakam). through him got contact of reliance rep of Vadapalani (near Saligramam). He took his time and came back saying that my street not covered. Poor before sales customer service :(
Nearly waited a month for the whole process.

Now i am looking at Tikona for the no FUP 2MBps plan (costlier than what Reliance offers)

:sad:

I am from Saligramam -Chennai, and i applied through all possible ways provided by Reliance to request this broadband connection (Mail, online & toll free call)

Later got a contact of reliance rep through my friend for another area (Nungambakam). through him got contact of reliance rep of Vadapalani (near Saligramam). He took his time and came back saying that my street not covered. Poor before sales customer service

Now i am looking at Tikona for the no FUP 2MBps plan (costlier than what Reliance offers)

When it comes to Chennai the options are very limited in BB service. Unlike Bangalore and Hyderabad the options are very limited in Chennai. I think only Airtel has 8mbps connection but that too with FUP:sad:

So we are not agreeing on any solution whether Reliance gives better services or not?

But is reliance giving a better service??? The opinions on this point are pretty mixed although the seem more on the negative side... The post below urs is a indication in this direction... There is a huge thread on broadbandforum.co on basically this plan & it makes for some interesting reading... Point to note though is that most ppl who get a good service don't come on the Internet to give good reviews while most ppl who have a bad exp do come on the net to "B*tch" about their problems... Wht u have to do is separate the "B*tching" from the actual reviews(weather good or bad) & decide...

Later got a contact of reliance rep through my friend for another area (Nungambakam). through him got contact of reliance rep of Vadapalani (near Saligramam). He took his time and came back saying that my street not covered. Poor before sales customer service :(

Choose however you want but avoid Tikona. There are many complaints against Tikona in broadband forums.

I got 4 mbps 125 GB airtel connection this month due to lack of options. I remember someone saying that they had this download limit increased by paying additional money. I tried with Airtel today and they flat out refused it...basically they said if i want i can disconnect my connection...what jerks !!!! anyone who has done this pls let me know few pointers !!!

Personal experience.. Reliance Sucks big time..

Lot of false promises..
there is a 12mbps plan... but trust me it is not a 12mbps plan...
it is actually a 1.5MBPS (yes MBps not mbps)
and trust me again on this ...it doesnt give more than 512KBps

this was in coimbatore... and i had enquire about 12 to 15 ppl in the area..
to my surprise all the old ppl in the area were happy...
and all the young ppl were pissed off with the speed...

the old ppl were checking mails..
and young ones were downloading

customer care...Reliance is unbelievable... if u tell them the connection doesnt work..they ask you to check whether the computer is on...
and reliance wont provide with a wireless modem..
only a cheap 200rs ZTE modem..
the service guy took another 250rs to configure it and voila...if it doesnt work if u call the customer care...they will summarily reject your complaint that reliance doesnt offer wifi and hence it is my own problem..then i have to call again and file a complaint on the dsl fault...then they will send another guy and he will take another 200 for reconfiguring it..

i think ambani is not paying these guys properly..

Reliance Thunder 4 mbps plan is good, I am using it for 1 year in Central Kolkata.

Disconnected the TATA DoCoMo broadband last week after installing it a month back. I had subscribed for a 10mbps plan and the line never worked for more than 15 days in a month. When it worked the speed and latency was good. Problem is their infrastructure is very poor. Strangely when there is a power outage in my area the dsl lines goes off and sometimes it took days to get it back to work with constant follow-up. Their customer service is a joke. Never subscribe to their services in Chennai.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back