remote control for pc audio

nandac

one thing i miss in computer audio is the lack of remote control capability - to remotely forward to the next song in the sequence mainly.

any inputs on how others who use pc audio handle this?

appreciate the feedback.

Best remote control would be mce remote. These are available in ebay and amazon, but not available in India readily. It is just two days back that I sold my mce remote control to another forum member. If you are interested, I have an unused IR receiver. All you need to do is install eventghost and use any remote control like that of dvd remote. With eventghost, you can control your media player even if it is not in focus. Or you can buy just the mce remote from ebay. Universal remote controls can also be used. Another option is to use android or iphone based remote controls.

The simplest (and perhaps cheapest) way would be to add a wireless mouse.

I use a Lenovo n5901. I've been using it for about a year. Over the last 6 months its trackball has started to act up a bit, so I wouldn't really recommend it, though it is really handy: It replaces a keyboard and mouse, and has the usual multimedia buttons (Play/Pause/Stop/Track Up/Track Down).

The improved version, the Lenovo n5902 seems to be pretty good, with a backlit keyboard, and a Blackberry-type trackpad. But it is quite expensive.

If all you want is basic multimedia control (without replacing your current input devices), like baijuxaviour recommended, an MCE Remote, or an iPhone/Android app for your mediaplayer would be the best bet.

Haveing used a MCE Remote for more than 6 months, I have no doubt about its capability. However if you want to do away with the hasstle of keeping your TV on all the time while selecting / forwarding audio only tracks than I think the best option is to get a cheap android tablet (you need to have home wifi and the music pc connected to the same network either wired / wireless) . You can control Foobar / XBMC with android based correspodning remote applications and what more you can see on the tab itself your entire library and select accordingly. Also if you already own a android / apple phone this cost is already saved jut buy a cheap 1000 INR wifi router if you do not already have that.

Tablet, Low price tab, Android 2.3, 256 RAM, flash 10.1, 1Ghz, 3G dongle | eBay for INR 3400(+shipping 300)

$(KGrHqRHJEME9149LMyJBPlOwc0Zbg~~60_12.JPG

$(KGrHqNHJBME-eKWlp,ZBP))oPu(Sg~~60_12.JPG

I gave a Squeezebox Duet. The remote control was the selling point of this model, and more expensive than the squeezebox receiver itself. Moving on several years, I can now control the squeezebox with a free app on my mobile phone or tablet. And it works whether the server is Windows or Linux.

I'm sure that this kind of wifi remote is the future. I don't know about the Windows applications, these days: how does it work with Foobar?

Back