Remote Knob-Turner, anyone?

• Thread starter Deleted member 15865
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15865

I was just thinking of ideas that would save me the effort to approach my passive amp to change the volume. You guessed it, it has no remote. Like a lot of stuff (especially vintage) many of us still possess. And then I hit upon this brainwave.

How about a remote KnobTurner - a small gizmo that can sit atop the edge of an equipment with a clamp-like extension (with adjustable diameter) that can be hooked around the knob we’d like to turn. And as we press the R-L button on its remote in our hand, the motorised gizmo turns (clamp and hence) the knob clockwise or anti-clockwise.

Now the problem is, I am good at ideation, but loathe to (physical) execution. Wish some DIY fellow would take to the idea and come up with the gizmo which I believe might have a market at around Rs 1000 per piece.

I was just thinking of ideas that would save me the effort to approach my passive amp to change the volume. You guessed it, it has no remote. Like a lot of stuff (especially vintage) many of us still possess. And then I hit upon this brainwave.

How about a remote KnobTurner - a small gizmo that can sit atop the edge of an equipment with a clamp-like extension (with adjustable diameter) that can be hooked around the knob we’d like to turn. And as we press the R-L button on its remote in our hand, the motorised gizmo turns (clamp and hence) the knob clockwise or anti-clockwise.

Now the problem is, I am good at ideation, but loathe to (physical) execution. Wish some DIY fellow would take to the idea and come up with the gizmo which I believe might have a market at around Rs 1000 per piece.
Haha :D

I've been thinking on similar lines for some time now :)

I have a passive preamp which is not even powered, so does not have a remote. It's not an issue when I listen to CD's as the volume is constant. But streaming means that some times I have to adjust volume. So I ask my daughter to join me on my listening sessions, and use her energetic nature as remote volume control :D

But in this day and time getting a left and right remote controllable volume knob shouldn't be much of a challenge. Though Iam sadly too dumb at these things. But would love to enlist someone to create some thing aesthetically pleasing, that does this job. Only if your good selves can find someone, I'd happily join in on the chase :D

Hi Manohar,
You can mechanically couple (maybe use a rubber band) the rotating volume pot on the remote control kit below to your passive preamp’s pot. Just use the rotating pot motor and don’t connect up the volume comtrl portion. search In Amazon.de for

H HILABEE 9V IR Remote Control Volume Controller Board Pre Potentiometer’​

(Saw a similar one in some Indian import site as well. )
It won’t be very aesthetically pleasing IMHO :)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back