Changing opamps in Asus Xonar Essense ST /STX

sonosphere

Hi,
I am describing below, how to change opamp on Asus Xonar ST Card (the description will work for STX card also).

Before you begin...
...You will need following:
1. Relevant screwdriver to open your CPU cabinet screws, the screws fixing the sound card to CPU body, and the screws on the underside of card.
2. Patience and gentle attitude. (This gentle word will come up very often below... rough handling may leave you with opamp-pins bent beyond repair) To avoid being disturbed you may do this process when wifey /GF /Kids are not around.

CAUTION: This may sound ridiculous but please read on....Discharge yourself of any static electricity on your body. Many methods described on Google on how to do it. Shortcut >> Touch the water-tap connected to metal pipes and wear all cotton clothes just before working on opamps. Cotton clothes dont promote static electricity builtup.

STEP-01 (Removing the shield)
This is how your standard Xonar ST card looks (The guidelines below will also work for STX card)

cardtopwithshield.jpg

The metal shield on card bearing the ASUS text logo is fixed to the PCB by four screws.

See the location of those screws in image below (the screw location is marked at bottom view of PCB). Use a + head /phillips head screwdriver of suitable size to unscrew and detach the sheild from bottom. (Recommended method: Unscrew each screw only two anti-clockwise turns and then move to next screw, till all screws are loose, and then gently remove the shield from PCB, if it hasnt come out already. While screwing the shield back, use the same method in reverse)

cardunderside.jpg

Once you have taken the shield off (please no snickering here... this is strictly technical description), look for the I/V opamps as shown in the image below (how boring).

cardtopuncovered.jpg

This is how the I/V opamps will appear at close distance.

ivopampopa2107ap.jpg

STEP-02 (Pulling out the old opamp)
We will change only the I/V opamp in this exercise, so the description below applies to them only (even though the process remains the same for Buffer opamp)

I have used a long nose plier to take out the opamps. The image below shows which sides of opamp to grip while taking out the opamp from their sockets.

pliergrip.jpg

pliergripcloseup.jpg

(I wanted to take photograph while taking out the opamp, however I couldnt have taken a steady shot with one hand while taking out the Opamp with other, hence shot this pic separately)

The opamps are seated in the DIP8 sockets with a gentle fit, hence no need to use jerk force to take them out. While pulling the opamp out, just move it little bit, nudging and tilting left/right in the direction of the row of legs,. (the little bit means 0.5 mm approx left/right... Difficult? try de-soldering an opamp from PCB, for comparison. BTW anybody who performs this successfully with the plier can confidently apply for job of a surgeon)

Once youve taken out the opamp, store it somewhere, in case you need it back.

STEP-03 (Putting in the new opamp)
Before you put in the new opamp, notice how the opamp is oriented in the pic below. Youll notice a U shaped cut on one side of the opamp, and the cut is on the same side of a similar Ushaped cut in the adapter below.

ivopampopa2107ap.jpg

Considering above orientation, grip the new opamp in the plier such than when you are putting it in the adapter, the Opamp U cut is on same side as the U cut on adapter (well obviously... ). Ok now you may be all eager to put it in the socket, but HOLD ON. First hold the opamp pins just a little above the socket to check whether the pins are in line with the holes or a little outwards. This situation can happen, in case the pins themselves are bent outwards (Guys I am not deliberately making this up... it is just the way situation is. Again no snickering please)

The opamps that came my way (OPA2107AP and LME49720NA) had their pins bent /flared outwards. See the image below to have a little idea of what I mean.

opamppinflared.jpg

Since the opamp will never fit in the socket with flared out pins, I devised a crude method to straighten them. I held the pins between my forefinger and thumb and applied gentle pressure to move them inwards. See image below.

opamppinbending.jpg

Of course you may devise a different method to straighten them.

After each gentle press align the opamp to the socket holes to see how close it is to fitting in. Keep repeating the gentle press routine, till the pins are aligned with the holes. The image below shows how the pins got somewhat straightened thereafter.

opamppinstraightened.jpg

Once you are sure the pins are aligned, put the opamp in gently, but only HALF-WAY IN. :)o) See the two images below to see what I mean by half-way in and full-way in.

opamppositioned.jpg

In half-way position you see the thin part of pins inserted in holes but the thicker part is above. In half-way position you get the flexibility to align the Opamp horizontally in same plane as the PCB, by left/right tilting, nudging into alignment process. If this care isnt taken you may end up with one side /rows of pins is pushed deep in hole, whereas the other side of pins is sticking up (something like when dogs stick one of their legs up when they are near a tree or pole. The late night working hours are really taking toll on my sense of prose).

See a mild case of misalignment in the aforementioned image of I/V opamp closeup (the opamp at left appears tilted horizontally, compared to adapter below, because the left row of pins a little higher than the right row. Another point to note >> this didnt happen because left pins were not pushed all the way in... it was because the left row of pins was taller than the right row!! Irrespective of this situation, the opamp worked perfectly

Ok now considering the aforementioned nudging process has resulted in horizontally aligned half-way in opamp >> now gently push it FULL-WAY in. See the close-up image below to see how it appears when fully seated in the socket.

opampseated.jpg

Follow the above process for both opamps in I/V slot and the main job is done. (so much rant for so little. Thats what audiophilia does to you)

Now that both the new opamps are seated in sockets, time to put the shield back. Refer the image below showing the way shield should be oriented when putting back on. Image shows the shield superimposed on underside of card to demostrate how the holes on shield are aligned with the holes on underside of card (refer hole numbers with ones in image of underside of card, towards beginning of this article). Actually the shield would be fixed on the opposite side of the face visible in image (Another obvious point...)

cardshieldunderside.jpg

Refer the method of unscrewing described in STEP-01 above, and use the same method in reverse while screwing back the shield.

STEP-04 (Starting the system again)
Put back the card in > fireup the CPU, if the Xonar icon shows up in taskbar, the opamp transplant has been accepted (congrats, surgery successful) > your are good to go > check cables connections properly > NOW switch on the amp while Xonar volume and amp volume are both set to zero (do it earlier and you may end up with fried amp or speaker, due to a crackling noise of a weak /loose connection somewhere).Bring up both volumes slowly.. hopefully youll be blessed with your sound-source reborn with a new personality. (do you wish you could do the same with some of your other life-partners (I mean the amp and speakers ;))

Hope the Xonar ST /STX noobs find the above useful. Do let me know if you need clarification regarding any description above.

Best wishes,
Sonosphere

Thanks
Fantastic
Congrats.....

Very very very informative and confidence inspiring!!
Pls keep it up

Can you do the review pre change and post changes?
:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Excellent. Very detailed steps/instructions.

I am now compelled to buy a ST card atleast to experiment this DIY.
Where do we the buy the replacement OP AMPs and cost details.

I am also interested in knowing the SQ differences before and after
the OP AMP change.

Thank you.

Sonosphere, I am a little confused. I read all the articles here at HFV, at HeadFi and other places. Nowhere do I see anyone specifically saying, 'Use this amp, and your card will deliver much better sound'. What is read is marginally better sound around the 3000Hz range, but an audible drop in low base. Though I am ready to try if an when I get my hands on a op-amp, I wonder if it is worth all the effort at all.

I have been using the STX with a Arcam rDAc. I have recently got my hands on an Emotiva DAC. Will hear it for a few days and compare the two.

I have to wait for a few days as the PSU in my aduo PC blew up a few days ago.

Cheers

General hints about working on a PC ... which you probably all know already anyway.

1. Yes, static is important. Less risk when barefoot on a tiled, concrete floor than when walking, in your business shoes, around a carpeted office --- where each and every step might charge you up a bit more, but still important. Touch the PC case, while it is still plugged in; touch your work surface; get everything at the same level.

2. Before inserting or removing any PC card, the PC should not only be turned off, but the plug pulled from the psu. After unplugging, hold the power button down for a few seconds. You will often see the fans move a little, showing that the board was still holding power, and that this small precaution is worthwhile.

Sonosphere, I am a little confused. I read all the articles here at HFV, at HeadFi and other places. Nowhere do I see anyone specifically saying, 'Use this amp, and your card will deliver much better sound'. What is read is marginally better sound around the 3000Hz range, but an audible drop in low base. Though I am ready to try if an when I get my hands on a op-amp, I wonder if it is worth all the effort at all.

I have been using the STX with a Arcam rDAc. I have recently got my hands on an Emotiva DAC. Will hear it for a few days and compare the two.

I have to wait for a few days as the PSU in my aduo PC blew up a few days ago.

Cheers

Hi Venkatcr,
Regarding opinion that alternative opamps deliver better sound:
1. I know at least one example from HFV. see post by Reignofchaos here >> http://www.hifivision.com/media-str...vs-samsung-dvd-vs-marantz-cdp.html#post161513.
2. I have noticed similar comments on Head-fi too, though different people have differnt opamp as their "better option". OTOH there are people who believe JRC2114D is just right! (If posting links from other forums is ok here, pls confirm, I'll post links to those comments)

My 2 cents:
If you ask "I wonder if it is worth all the effort at all"... I will say the LME49720NA are worth it. For me this change is not like "sidegrade", it is a definite upgrade due to better bass. Though I alert that this upgrade is "relative" >> With LME49720NA, the SQ is close to Marantz CD5001, but can't match the SQ of Arcam CD17. Maybe some other Opamp can... I'll keep hunting :).

Regds,

Thanks
Fantastic
Congrats.....

Very very very informative and confidence inspiring!!
Pls keep it up

Can you do the review pre change and post changes?
:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Hi Hemant,
Thanks,

Here's the micro-review:
Pre-change (stock opamp: JRC2114D in I/V slots)
General: Huge soundstage, very dynamic, lot of ambiance around each instrument. Sounded good right out of the box, hardly any break-in dependent.
Highs: Gobs of detail, when the music has sufficient information in treble end. Good example symphonies /string sections. You can literally hear different violin textures.
Mids: Good punch, but have treble'ish touch rather than warmth.
Bass: Very refined within a narrow range, becomes lean on both sides of range. Sounded "unbelievably life-like" in bass drum hits in the western classical (Suite#2 in F by Gustav Holst), but sounded wimp in the opening synth-bass line of "Tanhaai" song (Movie Dil chahta hai), and bass line of "Run to you" song of Bryan Adam.

Post-change (LME49720NA in I/V slots)
General: Big soundstage (a grade lower than Huge), equally dynamic as JRC's, moderate ambiance around each instrument. Sounded underwhelming out-of-the-box, but improved fast, within 10 hrs of break-in
Highs: Good details, when the music has sufficient information in treble end. Good example symphonies /string sections. A grade lower than details of JRC2114D
Mids: Good punch, Have neutral tone (neither warm nor treble'ish)
Bass:Good texture and body across whole bass range, (somehow can't match the "good bass" of JRC's whatever they create in their limited performance range)

Regds,

Last edited:
LinuxGuru on this forum is experimenting with opamps currently I think. PM him.

--G0bble

I preffered JRC's instead of LME49720NA ...i liked the treble and sound stage very much of it....and this LME's are in my table with no use at all....I have seen Burson HD audio opamps have got so much fame...where to find them to buy?

Last edited:
In my experience, the stock LME49720 is a bit disappointing for I/V conversion - it needs to be biased to Class-A to improve it. The best-sounding opamps for I/V are probably LT1361 (dual), LT1028 (single), OPA627 (single) and OPA827 (single).

I know STX requires dual opamps. I am not sure LT1361 is compatible with Xonar

AFAIK, LT1361 is available only in SOIC-8, so you'll need a SOIC-8 to DIP-8 converter board and pins. These are widely available on EBay.

The LT1361 is very forgiving about poor bypassing and also has quite wide voltage tolerance, so it can usually substitute almost any other bipolar dual opamp in almost any application.

Last edited:
Here's a link to my post on diyaudio about the LF05 fully-discrete Class-A discrete DIP8 single-opamp module:

kaneda preamp - Page 11 - diyAudio

It's essentially a folded Kaneda-style fully-discrete topology with a BJT input stage, which should be a drop-in replacement for any DIP8 BJT single-opamp like the NE5534, AD797, LT1360, LT1363, LT1028, LME49710, and probably some of the legacy NJM/JRC bipolar opamps found in classic Japanese equipment also.

The advantages: lower noise floor, Class-A distortion spectrum, and all the other audible virtues of the celebrated Kaneda-type classic line- and pre- stages.

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back