Remote volume control

hydrovac

Hi DIYers,

Off late, while listening to music with a wide dynamic range (e.g., Tamil music)... i find myself reaching for the remote to adjust the volume.

So... what are the options and possibilities to retrofit a DIY pre amp with a remote volume control? (digital, relay based, or motorized)... will I be introducing potential "noise" in the signal chain, by incorporating this "luxury" item? Am I better off not doing it?

I hate to add another component to my very minimalist 2 ch. rig just for the sake of saving a few steps from the chair to the amp but, yes... I really am that lazy when I'm "in the groove" with my music.

For me the ideal listening volume changes from recording to recording... even from track to track, and often lies in a surprisingly tight range. Finding that volume is next to impossible without remote volume control.

Thanks very much for reading... some good leads and ideas, from knowledgeable heads... much appreciated!

I've learned to distinguish proper volume at seated spot (for most situations) so no extra effort expended in setting the volume for me.
And since I had to get up to change the CD anyway, no biggie to set volume once the first track began.

Still, if I were able to upgrade my pre to include a remote I'd do it, as long as the sonic did not suffer AT ALL... impossible for me to compromise on audio quality.

I think you can try the below -

http://www.ianjohnston.com/index.ph...amplifier-motorized-volume-control-conversion
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/...orized-alps-pot-directly-using-arduino.44275/

The motorized ALPS pot is avbl here -
http://theaudiocrafts.com/alps-rk27-andquot-blue-velvetandquot-potentiometer-a50kx2-motorized

Hi DIYers,

So... what are the options and possibilities to retrofit a DIY pre amp with a remote volume control? (digital, relay based, or motorized)... will I be introducing potential "noise" in the signal chain, by incorporating this "luxury" item? Am I better off not doing it?

Thanks very much for reading... some good leads and ideas, from knowledgeable heads... much appreciated!

I've learned to distinguish proper volume at seated spot (for most situations) so no extra effort expended in setting the volume for me.
And since I had to get up to change the CD anyway, no biggie to set volume once the first track began.

Still, if I were able to upgrade my pre to include a remote I'd do it, as long as the sonic did not suffer AT ALL... impossible for me to compromise on audio quality.

As long i was using CD player as source, never felt any need for remote. But once i started collecting (buying) hires music online from various sites, i realized there is a huge variation in recordings (levels).
Hence the need for remote controlled volume... don't understand why a remote control can't be installed without affecting the sonic quality.

Appreciate your input...

I will let this pass... need something tried and tested.

Project #006 - Denon Amplifier Motorized Volume Control Conversion
DISCLAIMER: This design is experimental, so if you decide to build one yourself then you are on your own, I can't be held responsible for any problems/issues/damage/injury that may occur if you decide to follow this build and make one yourself.

I actually prefer to go with a stepped attenuator... which has a nice advantage that the channels are well matched across the entire range. Pot channels are often mismatched at the lowest of volumes.

Last edited:
i'm not aware of your setup but if your source is a PC , then a simple IR based windows media remote should suffice[available for few hundred rupees] - added advantage is you can change the track as well.

i'm not aware of your setup but if your source is a PC , then a simple IR based windows media remote should suffice[available for few hundred rupees] - added advantage is you can change the track as well.

Current source is Marantz CD6004 front-panel USB port... analogue outputs to DIY preamp... out to power amp.

Current source is Marantz CD6004 front-panel USB port... analogue outputs to DIY preamp... out to power amp.
I actually prefer to go with a stepped attenuator... which has a nice advantage that the channels are well matched across the entire range. Pot channels are often mismatched at the lowest of volumes.

in that case stepped attenuator with remote would be the solution - though i've not come across any such modules.
i use powered ALPS pot in my DIY pre and i can't seem to make out if there is volume difference .

Hi DIYers,

Off late, while listening to music with a wide dynamic range (e.g., Tamil music)... i find myself reaching for the remote to adjust the volume.

I hate to add another component to my very minimalist 2 ch. rig just for the sake of saving a few steps from the chair to the amp but, yes... I really am that lazy when I'm "in the groove" with my music.

For me the ideal listening volume changes from recording to recording... even from track to track, and often lies in a surprisingly tight range. Finding that volume is next to impossible without remote volume control.

Hello,

If you are ok with simple circuit design and assembly, then, take a look at LM13700 and other Operational Tansconductance Amplifiers.
They can easily be configured as stereo volume control.
The best part is that it controls stereo channels with perfect tracking and using a single potentiometer. It does it using a DC voltage as volume control signal. So the potentiometer itself is not connected to audio.

I hope that this helps.

Regards,

Ravindra.

Attachments

• DC Controlled Stereo Volume Control.GIF
    DC Controlled Stereo Volume Control.GIF
    10.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I think its better to introduce another box with a ALPS motorized volume control before the amp if you are using only one source with ext power supply.. You may leave the current volume control at max. The orginal ALPs motorized is as good as your inbuilt control. Your amp has a pre out - main in ? Then you can add it there. Use only a high quality control. Dont disturb the power supply of the orginal amp whatsover.

Hello,

If you are ok with simple circuit design and assembly, then, take a look at LM13700 and other Operational Tansconductance Amplifiers.
They can easily be configured as stereo volume control.
The best part is that it controls stereo channels with perfect tracking and using a single potentiometer. It does it using a DC voltage as volume control signal. So the potentiometer itself is not connected to audio.

I hope that this helps.

Regards,

Ravindra.

I think its better to introduce another box with a ALPS motorized volume control before the amp if you are using only one source with ext power supply.. You may leave the current volume control at max. The orginal ALPs motorized is as good as your inbuilt control. Your amp has a pre out - main in ? Then you can add it there. Use only a high quality control. Dont disturb the power supply of the orginal amp whatsover.

@ravindra
@hifitoaster
Any PCB, parts, kits available? I am not keen on doing it from scratch...
However after reading all of the above comments...
I am open to experimentation with a plug and play device which can function... Suggestions?

@ravindra
@hifitoaster
Any PCB, parts, kits available? I am not keen on doing it from scratch...
However after reading all of the above comments...
I am open to experimentation with a plug and play device which can function... Suggestions?
https://www.ebay.de/itm/Assembeld-M...883330?hash=item2aaca15f82:g:zz4AAOSwdx1aQ0xt

This can work. has world wide shipping. Supports paypal payment too . If I am not wrong all, entry level potentiometers irrespective of brands are made in China, so wont be much different. By the way whats your amp?

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back