Replacement speakers suggestions for Harbeth SHL5

Two days back @eddie_fox offered SHL5 on sale, I was tempted and since then and trying hard to find fault with my current speakers, but I find none.

Amari lp12 turntable-> Denon 301 ii -> Denon au-300lc SUT -> Devialet 120 -> Harbeth c7es3

All these in a 10x14 room, along with all the LP records I need, very happy for now and feel like set for life.

No noise from turntable (even on high vol) which allows me to play classics with lush sound from c7es3. For me c7es3 sounds really special, just the right amount of warmth (not overly warm), lush and tight in the bass. It doesn’t sound as hifi and clean as the dynaudio confidence c1 which I had sometime back, but mid range is so sweet, hard for me to change anything in this setup.

Sorry @eddie_fox, I offered to buy SHL5 but upgrade bug is not kicking in.

AZ were the folded horns, which blew me away. AN-J are not horns. I will have to listen to them and hear how they sound differnt, and if they will still blow me away. Aaernold is bringing them over to the hi-fi show this week in Bangalore, and I will audition them there. The starter kit at 4L is very attractive. I will decide soon.

The AZ aren't quite horns. Closer to transmission lines from what I understand. They are also much cheaper than the AN-J and AN-E options

Two days back @eddie_fox offered SHL5 on sale, I was tempted and since then and trying hard to find fault with my current speakers, but I find none.

Amari lp12 turntable-> Denon 301 ii -> Denon au-300lc SUT -> Devialet 120 -> Harbeth c7es3

All these in a 10x14 room, along with all the LP records I need, very happy for now and feel like set for life.

No noise from turntable (even on high vol) which allows me to play classics with lush sound from c7es3. For me c7es3 sounds really special, just the right amount of warmth (not overly warm), lush and tight in the bass. It doesn’t sound as hifi and clean as the dynaudio confidence c1 which I had sometime back, but mid range is so sweet, hard for me to change anything in this setup.

Sorry @eddie_fox, I offered to buy SHL5 but upgrade bug is not kicking in.

No problem.You belong to a lucky lot. Enjoy your speakers. Happy listening.

Hi Eddie
If I'm not mistaken, the LM amp offers triode and ultra linear mode. About 20 and 40 watts, I think. Sounds like a good match for the ANs.
However, please do listen to the ANs before you go in for an amp change. If you decide you want the Blus instead, your current amp may well be a better match.
Also, as Jai1611 mentions above, the AN J or E would be a better choice. Not sure what Aernoud plans to demo, but do try and listen to both.

If you want the same sound that you heard, replicate the same system in your home. Everything including the wires. I have heard all sort of speakers sounding great or ordinary depending upon how they have been setup.

Go with a goal and a system approach surrounding that goal.

I have heard a certain magic with the SHL5 and I have heard it sound ordinary too. The difference was in the setup. SHL5 is not the most transparent of speakers but it can entertain well if setup right. But then again if you want a different sound, look elsewhere.

Harbeth speakers are neither transparent nor efficient. You cannot expect open dynamics from such speakers. In fact they are quite compressed sounding even when powered well. Audio Note speakers are on the other hand very efficient and open sounding so you hear music jump out of speakers and fill the room. Between AN-E and AN-J you need to go with the one which suits your room size. AN-E are big speakers meant to fill up relatively larger rooms (200 sqft at the minimum). AN-J is an equal speaker but with a smaller footprint for medium sized rooms. Make your choice accordingly.

Amps for AN has to be a low powered SET. Driving it with high powered state is not the way to get it right. If you have to use your existing amp then there are other interesting speakers to look for, not AN.

Back