Replacement speakers suggestions for Harbeth SHL5

@ Eddie Fox

I know exactly what you mean when you compare your Harbeths to the Audio Note. I heard the Harbeth 7 something, the SHL5, the 40 something and the Audio Note AN E LX HE, all in the same week. The ANs just blew me away.
I believe the ANs 97db sensitivity, coupled with the use of boundary reinforcement for the bass, is what makes this speaker so special. It just sounds so damn musical!
The entry level AN E should fit in your budget. I would recommend getting in touch with Aernoud of AN in B'bay and having a chat. Will PM you his number, if you like.

Thanks Coaltrain. Can you please share his number?

Thanks, will check out Tekton, though they seem pretty intimidating in terms of size

If I were in speaker buying mode, a smaller Tekton like the Impact would be top of my considerations too.

Caveat applies, however. The big Double Impact is a tough beast to tame. Ask Prem:D. It would be reasonable to surmise that the smaller Impact would be a tough customer too.

My quick assessment says that you already have a nice pair of speakers and the first thing you should be looking at is you amplifier. Look at something from Krell, Bryston and possibly Karan Acoustics (I own one) and then definitely, source (may want to get a good DAC).

Devialet 120 -> harbeth compact 7es-3 is magical for me.

may be you should also consider Devialet

I agree, changing speakers won't help for sure. If a Devialet can be fit into budget, nothing like it. Great amp with very good built-in DAC.

For your Amp, the Blumenhofer or perhaps an ATC 40. if you can change your amp and getting a tekton, you will need an SET amp

Eddie

Can you mention your room dimension ?

Maybe put up a picture ?

The recommendation can be more relevant..

The AN speakers will need to be placed near corners to use them to the fullest.

Regards

Eddie

Can you mention your room dimension ?

Maybe put up a picture ?

The recommendation can be more relevant..

The AN speakers will need to be placed near corners to use them to the fullest.

Regards

My room is about 14 feet wide * 25 feet long (+ 10 feet including the open kitchen). I will post pictures soon

@eddie_fox I don't know how long you listened and how many varients of song you listened to.
You have to remember that at home it is going to be a much longer listen.
Though I don't have any recent memory of Harbeths, I think they are British to the core with a non fatiguing quality to them.
The way you have explained Audio Note appears to be if the opposite pole.
So give a much longer listen with music that you mostly listen to before you decide a switch over.

Stereophile's August edition has a review of the Tekton Impact. While the manufacturer states sensitivity as 94db, Atkinson measured 87.5db. Not sure if an SET amp would be the best match.

@eddie_fox I don't know how long you listened and how many varients of song you listened to.
You have to remember that at home it is going to be a much longer listen.
Though I don't have any recent memory of Harbeths, I think they are British to the core with a non fatiguing quality to them.
The way you have explained Audio Note appears to be if the opposite pole.
So give a much longer listen with music that you mostly listen to before you decide a switch over.

I agree Kannan. Though Audio Note is also British their sound signature is very different to the Harbeths, maybe as they are folded horns. Having been used to the Harbeths now, maybe listening fatigue, over longer listening sessions, may be an issue I have to be aware of. I will bear that in mind. Thanks

^^ Perfect for the ANs.
Just move them into the corners and adjust bass to taste.
Please note: I'm referring to the AN Es with 2 drivers in a rear ported box. Have not heard the folded horns you mention above.

Coaltrain

My initial thoughts as well

Regards

PS : Eddie.. The room looks too clean to be lived in. Was it done up for the photos ?

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back