Replacement speakers suggestions for Harbeth SHL5

eddie_fox

Hi all,

Recommendations sought:

I am currently the owner of the Harbeths SHL5, which I loved and enjoyed for a while now. I have paired them with Trigon Exxceed amplifier (Dual mono, 120W/170W per channel at 8/4 ohms). My sources are both vinyl and FLACs and my music taste ranges from western classical to old Bollywood, classic rock to blues and motown.. everything, but nothing too heavy.

I recently happened to drop into a hi-fi showroom in Goa, when I was travelling, and listened to Audio Note folded horn speakers (not sure of the model, but was one of the base models, I think. They were being driven by phono+integrated tube amps from the same brand, also base models) and was blown away by the life and dynamic-ism of the music. The cellos sounded so life-like and present, the sound stage and imaging was also brilliant. The most immediate quality was the presence and liveliness of the instruments. Since then, all I notice from my setup is the laid-back warmth and lack of punch, which may be more psychological, but is still a constant niggle.

So, if I start thinking of changing my speakers, and eventually maybe even move to tube integrated or separates (but not immediately. I will stick to the Trigons for now), can you please suggest:

1. Which direction I should look in - horns or cone/dome speakers, to match my current amp?

2. Bearing in mind what I am looking for (above paragraph), can you please suggest speaker brands better than or as good as the Harbeths, but with more liveliness, dynamics and punch, especially at lower volumes?

3. My budget will be around 3L INR (with some wiggle room), any specific models I should consider? Used or new?

Thanks guys

That's a tough ask in the budget - particularly in India. In your place, I would look at the following options (in no particular order):
a) Rethm - best to go down to Kochi for a demo. Their bottom two models would fit. The Bhaava is on demo in Bangalore but in a very poor setup
b) Lyrita - their horns are interesting. Demo in Delhi or if any FM has locally
c) Tannoy Prestige line. Over the budget but maybe available used
d) Audio Note (demo in Mumbai)
e) The Altec custom speaker on sale in Delhi (check forum listing from FM malvai) - listen in Delhi
f) Blumenhofer - demo in Bangalore

Most of these, except perhaps the Tannoy/Altec/Blumenhofer options, would work best with tube amps.

Good luck with your search

I would second Blumenhofers. Try the Fun series - Fun 17. They will have superb dynamics far superior to Harbeth (I used to have your Shl5 and then the Big fun 17), and transients especially on string instruments will be startling. When paired with a nice tube amp (like the Lyric also sold by Jochen) the immediacy and presence will be excellent as well. They should work well with the trigon but I preferred tubes. The Genuin series will perhaps be much better but I don't think they are in your budget. Good luck.
Cheers,
Sid

Hi all,

Recommendations sought:

I am currently the owner of the Harbeths SHL5, which I loved and enjoyed for a while now. I have paired them with Trigon Exxceed amplifier (Dual mono, 120W/170W per channel at 8/4 ohms). My sources are both vinyl and FLACs and my music taste ranges from western classical to old Bollywood, classic rock to blues and motown.. everything, but nothing too heavy.

I recently happened to drop into a hi-fi showroom in Goa, when I was travelling, and listened to Audio Note folded horn speakers (not sure of the model, but was one of the base models, I think. They were being driven by phono+integrated tube amps from the same brand, also base models) and was blown away by the life and dynamic-ism of the music. The cellos sounded so life-like and present, the sound stage and imaging was also brilliant. The most immediate quality was the presence and liveliness of the instruments. Since then, all I notice from my setup is the laid-back warmth and lack of punch, which may be more psychological, but is still a constant niggle.

So, if I start thinking of changing my speakers, and eventually maybe even move to tube integrated or separates (but not immediately. I will stick to the Trigons for now), can you please suggest:

1. Which direction I should look in - horns or cone/dome speakers, to match my current amp?

2. Bearing in mind what I am looking for (above paragraph), can you please suggest speaker brands better than or as good as the Harbeths, but with more liveliness, dynamics and punch, especially at lower volumes?

3. My budget will be around 3L INR (with some wiggle room), any specific models I should consider? Used or new?

Thanks guys

The description of sound stated above is of an SET (Single Ended Triode)

Thanks everyone, the immediate options that crossed my mind were Rethm and Blumenhofers. I have a good relationship with Jochen and I will go and audition the Blumenhofers next week. Rethm, not sure when I can travel to Kochi, but no hurry. I will email Jocob and ask if they will work with my Trigon amp.

I have no idea about SETs. I will have to do some research.

I also considered changing the entire system. If so, maybe Audio Note, who recommend complete kits, will be a good option. I will contact the Goa dealer and ask for prices etc.

Not sure who deals with Tannoy in Bangalore, any idea?

Meanwhile, an important question that is nagging me - Am I correct in assuming that speaker change is what I need for the sound I desire? Or should I look at the other components in the chain (amp, speaker cables, DAC...) which may be easier to replace?

What you heard was a different way of presentation..

IMO.. Time to bid goodbye to your present rig and go for audionote...

Only that will satisfy the mind..

Only a component change might cure the itch temporarily.

AN has a demo room in Mumbai.

Might be a good idea to revalidate what you heard in Goa and take it from there.

If Jochen can give you home audition of his speakers that would be great either way...

Meanwhile, an important question that is nagging me - Am I correct in assuming that speaker change is what I need for the sound I desire? Or should I look at the other components in the chain (amp, speaker cables, DAC...) which may be easier to replace?
A speaker change will give you the majority of change in sound. Knowing Harbeths if you change amps, cables or source you are not going to hear a great deal of change, to me the Shl5 was not as transparent as I would have desired.
Cheers,
Sid

I am amazed whenever I come across such threads for one would imagine someone who would have bought the kind of system you have put together one would have been set for life and yet here I see you longing to flip your system ; don't get me wrong this is not a criticism for I have done this before not in hifi but in a similar expensive hobby and what I realized was often we mistake the system for source of nirvana when in reality it is the moment which one has really cherished; my personal experience says you can go back to Goa and listen to the same song on same system in exact same setting and it won't have the same effect as the last time it's complicated for me to explain but I am sure about the observation. If I were you I would take that extra money which you might lose flipping your system and spend it on room treatment or imho better on LPs and more music . JMTs

I am amazed whenever I come across such threads for one would imagine someone who would have bought the kind of system you have put together one would have been set for life and yet here I see you longing to flip your system ; don't get me wrong this is not a criticism for I have done this before not in hifi but in a similar expensive hobby and what I realized was often we mistake the system for source of nirvana when in reality it is the moment which one has really cherished; my personal experience says you can go back to Goa and listen to the same song on same system in exact same setting and it won't have the same effect as the last time it's complicated for me to explain but I am sure about the observation. If I were you I would take that extra money which you might lose flipping your system and spend it on room treatment or imho better on LPs and more music . JMTs

Thanks Powerslave, I do agree with you. I thought that setup I have will last me for a good and long few years, if not a lifetime too. My wife still doesn't like to entertain this discussion of speaker change as she is fond of the Harbeths. I am torn too, as I thought I was content with the Harbeths. It is only when I heard this new system and realised what I was missing that the thought of the component change crossed my mind. But, I agree, I will not be hasty. Maybe I will listen to the system again or compare the Harbeths with other speakers as and when opportunities arise and then decide. Anyway, thanks for your advice.

Not with much experience, but how would Graham speakers be in that price range?
In general I found the Graham to be better than Harbeth's in overall resolution. If I had an option at the same price range I would opt for the Graham.
Cheers,
Sid

Thanks Powerslave, I do agree with you. I thought that setup I have will last me for a good and long few years, if not a lifetime too. My wife still doesn't like to entertain this discussion of speaker change as she is fond of the Harbeths. I am torn too, as I thought I was content with the Harbeths. It is only when I heard this new system and realised what I was missing that the thought of the component change crossed my mind. But, I agree, I will not be hasty. Maybe I will listen to the system again or compare the Harbeths with other speakers as and when opportunities arise and then decide. Anyway, thanks for your advice.

My little advice to you is..there is no speaker in the world that is perfect for all kind of music ..every speaker is voiced to do something that the designer prefers to listen to and highlights the same in their design..your harbeths may be a boon for bad recordings..if u like a punch and dynamism buy another pair of speakers to complement the harbeths and in this way you can increase your listening genres without compromising on sound quality...

@ Eddie Fox

I know exactly what you mean when you compare your Harbeths to the Audio Note. I heard the Harbeth 7 something, the SHL5, the 40 something and the Audio Note AN E LX HE, all in the same week. The ANs just blew me away.
I believe the ANs 97db sensitivity, coupled with the use of boundary reinforcement for the bass, is what makes this speaker so special. It just sounds so damn musical!
The entry level AN E should fit in your budget. I would recommend getting in touch with Aernoud of AN in B'bay and having a chat. Will PM you his number, if you like.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back