Replacing crossover capacitors in my speakers

There are two electrolytic caps 10 mf rated 100v. There are the most likely to have degraded. Replace them and see if it fixes your problem. After that you can decide to buy two caps that will break your bank or something that costs reasonably. Check with Hari for a good replacement. What is important is that the capacity should be 10mf. The voltage rating can be 100v or higher. The form factor is coaxial. You might get the cap in radial factor if you go for Keltron. Lately I haven't seen Keltron in coaxial form factor but I do have old Keltron caps in coaxial form factor. Also I don't see any polarity marking, in which case these are not electolytic.

1699024938299.png

Last edited:
All I could gather is that these caps are manufactured by T.I. Tecate Industries

All I could gather is that these caps are manufactured by T.I. Tecate Industries
Mean to say that the manufacturer used to use the uncommon series style circuits in the crossover than the parallel.
Also speakers are like 20 years old...so the electrolytes would likely be getting drier in the capacitors.

I don't the capacitors are bad as the other channel speakers are working ok. I think this MARS connector is bad. Fix them or bypass them.
Agreed. However the speakers are 20 years old so the electrolytes would be getting dry some...

I think the MARS connector does need to be bypassed

FYI:

The m.a.r.s.® technology requires a two-conductor interconnect between the two loudspeakers. In order to maintain proper polarity Fried has supplied you with a twenty (20) foot cable for this purpose. The two-bladed plug on each end of the cable can only be inserted one way. If you wish to use a different cable, it is necessary to solder the plugs on the two ends so that the conductors are, in effect, crossed. In other words, one conductor should be wired to the larger blade on one end and the smaller blade on the other, and vice versa with the other conductor.

NON-m.a.r.s.® OPERATION:
Your A/6 loudspeakers may also be used in a non-m.a.r.s.® mode. Included with each loudspeaker is a short jumper cable that should be attached from the m.a.r.s.® socket to the negative (black) binding post to operate in the non-m.a.r.s.® mode. One may completely remove the knurled cap of the black binding post and place the ring connector of the jumper on the post. After replacing the cap, you are ready to conveniently switch between m.a.r.s.® and non-m.a.r.s.® modes by either using the m.a.r.s.® cable or the non-m.a.r.s.® jumpers.

This is a definite memory strain, but I think M.A.R.S. stood for McShane Ambience Retrieval System. It was a crosstalk cancellation system built into the speakers...as opposed to being done in a processor.
Polk Audio also did this same ambience retrieval/crosstalk cancellation on some of their models.

1. I Duplicated the connection cable today.
One speakers' smaller MARS hole connected to the other speakers Larger MARS hole. And vice versa.

Did not perfectly CORRECT the sound of the malfunctioning speaker.

2. However, I started listening to the malfunctioning speaker's tweeter more closely....and it seems that it is what is causing the offense.

3. I spoke with David Ellis of Ellis audio in Minnesota - he has been dealing with Fried speakers and the Hiquphon Drivers since 20-25 years. His recommendation was to test, in this order
http://www.ellisaudio.com/

a. Drivers' resistances
b. Capacitors and Crossover
c. MARS connections.

update - 11 Nov 2023 - DC resistance of both the tweeters is reading normal in normal range.
Both tweeters DC resistance has been measured – both the tweeters are reading normal range – like 5Ohms from the non-faulty tweeter and 4.5 from the supposedly faulty one. Thus the supposedly faulty tweeter is not faulty at all.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back