Request : DIY PASS LAB Power Amp GroupBuy

Re: Update

Hi,
One of my friend at Audiokarma has sent a mail to the man who first designed the F5T boards,they are good friends.His name is CViller at Diyaudio.I'll update here when he contacts me about the "Gerber files".
Else we will take permission from Nelson and make our own layout for PCBs.
Regards,
Sachin

Thanks for the update. Are you planning to change the layout of the pcbs? A novice question, doesnt it affect the performance?

Thanks for the update. Are you planning to change the layout of the pcbs? A novice question, doesnt it affect the performance?

I am hopeful of getting Gerber files from him.There will not be any difference if we draw different layout provided we follow few basic rules of electronic circuit.

Regards,
Sachin

If that happens then we will change layout to replace long running copper tracks by wires.

I just asked the question based on a few articles which I read before and what i remember from the discussion with the designer during my dac build that the PCB Layout and EMI are closely related and need to be very careful in that and he was very particular even on the distance b/n two pc boards also.

Last edited:
Some update,
Heat sinks -
I am looking at below patterns for side heatsinks, Please look at below excursions "80AD" is 5" X 6" and "119" is 4" X 6". Both are thicker base >10mm.

heatsinkpassf5.jpg

and approx external dimension of box will be -

with HT "80AD, 300mm long" -> 20"(W) X 12" (D) X 5"(H) with inner cavity of 8"(W) X 12" (D) X 4.75"(H)
or
with HT "119", 300mm long -> 20"(W) X 12" (D) X 6"(H) with inner cavity of 12"(W) X 12" (D) X 5.75"(H)
I inquired about availability and guy has to come back to me with price.

Other plates
Meantime I got reference for front and back plates. For bottom and top, we can use perforated metal sheet or 3-5mm thick Aluminum plates with punched slots. Metal sheets can be powder coated and Aluminum needs sand blasting with anodizing. Need to find what will in offer.

Pending - FM 'sann' suggested some guy who does metal work, anodizing etc. I will try meet him and get at least 1 sample made. If tapping could also be done then great. I need to get some screws which could be sourced easily and look nice.

Fingers crossed. ;)

Last edited:
what would be the approximate size of the final product for the 100w version. i know it could vary depending upon a lot of factors, just a rough guess would do.

Sorry to sound like a record stuck in the groove but can we give a serious thought to fan cooling too over and above the fins?

I thought getting 80AD sample and all remaining plates first to see how it comes. I feel passive cooling should suffice. Otherwise slow fans could be employed to blow air over the fins.
Or you are suggesting small 4 pieces of heatsinks with one large 12" slow noiseless fan over the top like I saw in Manvendra's HTPC.

I really like the 80AD/119 design, as it has more surface area than 204/205, moreover it looks good too. I am looking for 2 mono blocks.

Its better we do the passive cooling and from anilva's experience nothing works except passive cooling with big heatsinks.

The enclosure can be something similar to the following MarkLevinson designs (I am always a fan of those big boxes)
Let me try the feasibility of something similar.
mark-levinson-no.33h-mono-amplifier-150-watts-x-1.jpeg.jpg

mark-levinson-ml2-w1.jpg

99lev331.jpg

Some update,
Heat sinks -
I am looking at below patterns for side heatsinks, Please look at below excursions "80AD" is 5" X 6" and "119" is 4" X 6". Both are thicker base >10mm.

and approx external dimension of box will be -

with HT "80AD, 300mm long" -> 20"(W) X 12" (D) X 5"(H) with inner cavity of 8"(W) X 12" (D) X 4.75"(H)
or
with HT "119", 300mm long -> 20"(W) X 12" (D) X 6"(H) with inner cavity of 12"(W) X 12" (D) X 5.75"(H)
I inquired about availability and guy has to come back to me with price.

Other plates
Meantime I got reference for front and back plates. For bottom and top, we can use perforated metal sheet or 3-5mm thick Aluminum plates with punched slots. Metal sheets can be powder coated and Aluminum needs sand blasting with anodizing. Need to find what will in offer.

Pending - FM 'sann' suggested some guy who does metal work, anodizing etc. I will try meet him and get at least 1 sample made. If tapping could also be done then great. I need to get some screws which could be sourced easily and look nice.

Fingers crossed. ;)

Last edited:
I am also interested in the topmost design as compared to the chunky bottom two. I had my 18-0-18 V 6 ampere toroidal transformer designed to a height of only 5 cm to help in vertical mounting. The only problem is that these heat sinks should be works of art. The actual pcbs in my my F5 are thin and long 4x30 cm and have various mounting options.

I am also interested in the topmost design as compared to the chunky bottom two. I had my 18-0-18 V 6 ampere toroidal transformer designed to a height of only 5 cm to help in vertical mounting. The only problem is that these heat sinks should be works of art. The actual pcbs in my my F5 are thin and long 4x30 cm and have various mounting options.
This 300mm is in my mind. But may need to keep 5mm margin. Can you please measure exact length in mm and let me know.

I am hopeful of getting Gerber files from him.There will not be any difference if we draw different layout provided we follow few basic rules of electronic circuit.

Regards,
Sachin
Sachin, any news on PCB files. Because it needs to fit in the cave we going to make. :)

If we are not able to get the files, we can do the GB for procuring the boards from Jim audio or some similar vendor.

Jim Audio boards are not good.I have seen it.We can drw better layout than Jim audio.He doesn't have turbo version.

Regards,
Sachin

Gentlemen, let's fast track this project. I'm very keen on this amp build.

sure! I got to talk guy who does anodising, he is ready to do anodising for any plates.
Yesterday I purchased 4 kg of aluminium includes front back 6mm plates, top-bottom plates 4mm. I changed heatsinks order to non anodised ones. Next Weekend I will collect heatsinks. I have decided SS 12&15mm counter sink hex head M4, 0.7 screws with tapping into heatsinks, gone ahead buying all stuff.
It seems, this has lot of hardworking to come before first sample.
I am ordering ready PCBs and ps will be point -point.
So here my attempt is get one sample ready and tell these guys to follow the same.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back