Request : DIY PASS LAB Power Amp GroupBuy

@Sachu (HFV GB Guru:)), Could you please check the feasibility of the F5T group buy? The DiyAudio GB is closed as of now.

Hi Sajith,
We can start a GB here,with similar price tag(all premium parts).Boards can also be made if we get Gerber files.Cabs with heatsink would be biggest hurdle.Let's decide which F5 version we need.

Regards,
Sachin

Sachin,

Not everyone's speakers are alike and the vanilla F5 really requires >90dB sensitivity to play loud (if a GB is taking place).

Build the Turbo V2 (V3 that it around 100 odd watts will be supersonic in terms of size & heat generated :)) & bias according to speaker needs.

The other alternative is F5 cascoded

Any proper speaker will not need more that 50 odd watts of Class A (unless until theywant the police to knock at their door :))

Regards
kroy

Last edited:
Hi Sajith,
We can start a GB here,with similar price tag(all premium parts).Boards can also be made if we get Gerber files.Cabs with heatsink would be biggest hurdle.Let's decide which F5 version we need.

Regards,
Sachin

Many people may not be looking for an F5 as it requires a speaker with high sensitivity. I am in for 2 x MonoBlocks F5 Turbo V3 (premium parts).

Can you start a new thread for this?

Heat sinks \ Cabs may not be a big issue to source. If reqd, we can have another GB for it.

Last edited:
Sachin,

Not everyone's speakers are alike and the vanilla F5 really requires >90dB sensitivity to play loud (if a GB is taking place).

Build the Turbo V2 (V3 that it around 100 odd watts will be supersonic in terms of size & heat generated :)) & bias according to speaker needs.

The other alternative is F5 cascoded

Any proper speaker will not need more that 50 odd watts of Class A (unless until theywant the police to knock at their door :))

Regards
kroy

Yes speaker sensitivity is important for F5.My speakers are going to be 86db(Gr Research) so I would be looking to F5 Turbo.

Regards,
Sachin

Let's decide which F5 version we need.

My vote goes for the 100W version. Monster it is. Of course the heat is another matter. Even my 80W class A power amp produces prodigious amount of heat, but definitely less than my 60W tube-FET hybrids. I still say let's think of incorporating some silent fan cooling (if possible) to supplement the heat sinks.

My vote goes for the 100W version. Monster it is. Of course the heat is another matter. Even my 80W class A power amp produces prodigious amount of heat, but definitely less than my 60W tube-FET hybrids. I still say let's think of incorporating some silent fan cooling (if possible) to supplement the heat sinks.

Bigger the fan, the slower it has to move for the same airflow and hence more silence. We could incorporate the 120mm fans, placing it horizontally either at the top (preferably) or at the bottom of the amplifier casing.

There are some fans which have inbuilt temp sensor and the speed gets adjusted automatically. These fans cane be used standalone
80mm Thermally Controlled Smart Fan : Maplin Electronics

A DIY is also possible using Burr Brown fan controller chip AMC 6821
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/amc6821.pdf

Last edited:
I already have the pass 5 kit will share it with you however will need to enter the group buy for some good heats inks.

Don't forget the electricity bill..25 Watts F5 draws 180W at idle :)

You can get Turbo boards from Jim's audio,
Fets from Spencer

Matched IRF mosfets from a Israel based seller on eBay.UK

If you want the easy way out :)

There is a saying in Telugu which I'm translating.

For someone who is neck deep into water, how does it matter if it is cold.:eek:hyeah:

hot you mean:lol:

captain, you seem to have dabbed in different amps in recent times, could you please give a brief overview of which ones you liked better than others.

guys:
how much cost are we talking about here for the 100w version. considering that the premium one in US went for some 200$, plus shipping etc will come to say around 15k, another 15k for cabinets including materials and labor? total about 35k adding other incidental expenses etc. Another 5k for speaker protection and soft start etc. so around 40k a good estimate?

Last edited:
hot you mean:lol:

captain, you seem to have dabbed in different amps in recent times, could you please give a brief overview of which ones you liked better than others.

guys:
how much cost are we talking about here for the 100w version. considering that the premium one in US went for some 200$, plus shipping etc will come to say around 15k, another 15k for cabinets including materials and labor? total about 35k adding other incidental expenses etc. Another 5k for speaker protection and soft start etc. so around 40k a good estimate?

It should cost within 30k including cabinet if we plan GB for 15 members.

Regards,
Sachin

Count me in for cabinet, power supplies (board+parts)

For 100 Watts think you will need mono or dual mono

Back