Request : DIY PASS LAB Power Amp GroupBuy

cmsajith

Since we have a good amount of DIY group builds and people are able to get good quality equipment for reasonable price with the help of Sachin and OMishra, I would request them to check the feasibility of a group buy \ build for PASS LABs Aleph 1.2 or 2 power amps.

I am looking for a single Aleph 1.2 or two monoblocks of Aleph 2 (preferred)

Parts List and sample build page:
Aleph 2 : My Pass Labs Aleph 2 DIY Project
Aleph 1.2 : My Pass Labs Aleph 5 DIY Project

what do you guys say...:) ?

Good idea Sajith.
Sachin and Om have been very helpful to the DIY community here inspite of their busy schedules. My suggestion is that others also volunteer in running the group buy, sourcing parts, shipping to members etc. I am ready to volunteer but I am not knowledgeable about quality of parts, substitutes etc and will need help from experienced members.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since we have a good amount of DIY group builds and people are able to get good quality equipment for reasonable price with the help of Sachin and OMishra, I would request them to check the feasibility of a group buy \ build for PASS LABs Aleph 1.2 or 2 power amps.

I am looking for a single Aleph 1.2 or two monoblocks of Aleph 2 (preferred)

Parts List and sample build page:
Aleph 2 : My Pass Labs Aleph 2 DIY Project
Aleph 1.2 : My Pass Labs Aleph 5 DIY Project

what do you guys say...:) ?

Good Idea

Any idea on how much will be approx. cost of Aleph 2 Monoblock (each).

Good Idea

Any idea on how much will be approx. cost of Aleph 2 Monoblock (each).
Please hold on till we remaining folks read/study about these in detail. We need to go through some conclusive brainstorming information on suggestions.

BTW, if my DIY progresses by this speed then I will be driven out of home :D by my family.

Please hold on till we remaining folks read/study about these in detail. We need to go through some conclusive brainstorming information on suggestions.

BTW, if my DIY progresses by this speed then I will be driven out of home :D by my family.

Come to Bangalore...;)

Maybe we can also check out the possibilities for a gb for some class d amps also. Not many people would want a room heater:). I showed some of the pics of completed f5 to wife and she freaked out, no way you are going to keep this in my living room. I havent told her about the heat issue yet:lol: My credibility is very low with her after I made my monster sub.

Maybe we can also check out the possibilities for a gb for some class d amps also. Not many people would want a room heater:). I showed some of the pics of completed f5 to wife and she freaked out, no way you are going to keep this in my living room. I havent told her about the heat issue yet:lol: My credibility is very low with her after I made my monster sub.

That was funny !

Its a good point, the room heater thing is serious, followed by size and then the electricity bill.

I don't want to discourage anybody, but WHY ? There are fantastic Class AB /D designs which can be done at half the cost...pocket and credibility wise :) I'm not getting into a debate about 'Sound......'

Last edited:
Yes, I agree with sunil n doors666. Heating issue is there. But the SQ was the major attraction. But the more I try to understand on this product, I am being pulled back because of the requirement of keeping it switched on for almost 24hours due to the initial warming up requirement to get the best SQ and also due to the high power consumption.

My requirement is currently for the ATC SCM40 monitors. Which is the best possible DIY amp design (should be neutral sounding and with lot of power) so that interested members can also join for a GB.

why is the warmup period 24 hrs, it should stabilise in 1 -2 hrs at most. most semiconductors reach the thermal stabilisation point quickly, the powersupply trafo will be the last to stabilise

What I mean to say was that it requires a warmup period (~1-2hrs) and hence it has to be switched on almost 24hrs (due to different listening sessions.)

Yes, I agree with sunil n doors666. Heating issue is there. But the SQ was the major attraction. But the more I try to understand on this product, I am being pulled back because of the requirement of keeping it switched on for almost 24hours due to the initial warming up requirement to get the best SQ and also due to the high power consumption.

My requirement is currently for the ATC SCM40 monitors. Which is the best possible DIY amp design (should be neutral sounding and with lot of power) so that interested members can also join for a GB.

What is point of large powers? I built many amps, currently holding 2 of them for in-house use.
1. Tripath TA2022 based 100W+100W: I never used more than 15% of its power. Sound quality is audiophile and never get even warm. I used this kit. This is very loud with 30% of volume, driving pair of insensitive Wharfedale diamond 9.2 bookshelf.
2. Discrete 25W Amp published here. I designed and built PCB using quality components. This sounds awesome with Stable-filtered PS, polyprop input caps, non inductive cement output resistors and 1% 1/4W MFR elsewhere. Heat sink is on warmer side with 100mA quotient current. Still I say it being never used beyond 25% of max capability. This is my main amp in bedroom.

In the end, power Amp need to -
  • Nice sounding which handles transients very well.
  • Stable, neutral, transparent, silent and efficient as well
  • Delivers enough power for speakers which they can handle - continuous power and instantaneous peak power.
  • No nightmare to source and build for any DIY'er.
Also many good sounding power amps are ~10-25W range of power delivery. e.g. tube amps. So I request thinking of power need to be as per requirement (present/future) rather than overkill and impractical.
By no means - I am neither discouraging people nor thrashing any of proposed designs. Also I am not promoting any design. You have personal likings and disliking as well. I honor that.

Yes, I agree, getting good sound quality and louder doesnt require a lot of power. But the tube amps 20w or 50 watts wont be able to handle low efficient speakers like ATCs, esp SCM 40, it requires atleast 100w quality power to make it sing. Currently I am using Quad 909 (140w @ 8ohms) and I could see a difference when I compared it with symphonic line amp, I could hear a slight harshness in the highs and the bass is not tight as symphonic (same setup w/o changing any other component). It doesnt mean 909's bass is not tight and deep, it is, but amps with more quality power can perform better.

Last edited:
Sajith,

Like Mishra said there are plenty of options. It need not be Class A only.

Your ATC's are 85dB@1m and spec'ed at 112dB max. I figure thats 27dB, which needs 10log27 = 14W of real Watts. I trust the ATC spec sheet and Stereophile reviewed it very favourably here.

In real world terms 112dB is "Mental Hospital" territory & 100w average is a very respectable power to aim for. Rod Elliott's P3A (class AB) rated at 100W@42V is a highly regarded amp. The only problem is output protection which Rod has not fixed, if the signal & ground touch while it is playing (cat, dog, kid, GF/wife-in-bad-mood), that channel is bye-bye.

So any design with 100/200 @ 8/4 ohms should be a good bet. The 100/200 are max power which we never reach in real life, useful for dynamics & transients which the ATC's will love. I reckon the tranny will be around 500Va ( Rs.>4000 ). Also, the transistors are definitely an import. I don't know any outlet that can be relied on for those - the only hi-fi component I still rely on from abroad.

Regards.

If it makes any sense the 'Group Buys' from diyaudio.com is one of the best bang-for-the-buck I've seen ever.

Currently there aren't any actively running. The 'DX Blame' though is coming out with a revised version. Watch this space is all the designer is saying. Might be worth waiting.

Also, the designer's website has the layout & schematics. Can we organise to have the pcb's made here ? We'd need to let Carlos know but don't think that'd be a problem with him.

Last edited:
If it makes any sense the 'Group Buys' from diyaudio.com is one of the best bang-for-the-buck I've seen ever.

Currently there aren't any actively running. The 'DX Blame' though is coming out with a revised version. Watch this space is all the designer is saying. Might be worth waiting.

Also, the designer's website has the layout & schematics. Can we organise to have the pcb's made here ? We'd need to let Carlos know but don't think that'd be a problem with him.

we can get the PCB done of very good quality.I have done this for GB of CNC phono,Pass B1,but we need to take prior approval from Carlos.

Regards,
Sachin

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back