Request : DIY PASS LAB Power Amp GroupBuy

We can think of ourselves, but only problematic thing I can see is chassis with those large heat sinks. Because PCB parts and transformers can be arranged. But that chassis is big hurdle.

magma makes the chassis. but the question that needs to be asked is how good an idea is it to make f5 when f5 turbo v1,v2,v3 are already out and f6 is about to come out. i would like to wait for f6 before taking a call on making this monster. if f5 at 25w needs such big ones, what about hs sizes of a 100w class a.

Is there a way to avoid such big heat sinks, or reduce the size, maybe by using silent fans or computer water cooled sinks or something like that.

magma makes the chassis. but the question that needs to be asked is how good an idea is it to make f5 when f5 turbo v1,v2,v3 are already out and f6 is about to come out. i would like to wait for f6 before taking a call on making this monster. if f5 at 25w needs such big ones, what about hs sizes of a 100w class a.

BTW, how is the F6 different from the various F5s? Topology? Power?

The F5 100W looks like the monster to occupy pride of place in the audio deck:) provided of course we can source the heatsink. Isn't it possible to use some sort of silent running fans to aid cooling like in some tube power amps?

F6 haven't been published yet but as per Pass
--------------------------------------------------------------------
I have the pc boards, and when I have a little time I will stuff up the
official copy and write the article.

It is comparable in power to the rest of the FW amplifiers, uses the
R100 power Jfets (but can also use regular Mosfets) and is unique in
a couple of ways.

I'm only going to make 10, and there is no intention to sell them, so it's
strictly DIY.

If you want more juice, then the F5 Turbo is probably what
you want
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Om....if i can buy heatsinks in Kolkata you can definitely buy them in Pune :)...my heatsinks weigh around 9 kgs (for 2) and if you do not source locally there might be a good charge involved for shipping.

A quick search threw up this Heatsinks Manufacturers, Aluminium Extruded Heatsinks, Sheet Metal Heatsinks, Cross Cut Heatsinks, Circular Heatsinks, india

For a vanilla F5 you are looking at (for each channel) at least 6 inch length, 12 inches long, vertical pins (>10) each of >1 inch height (excluding base),10mm aluminum base

I always wondered if the pass F series are class A then why is the power not doubling when speaker impedance drops to half.

My pass F5 is ready except for the heat sinks. Haven't found good anodised ones in Chandigarh. Had purchased a few from Kolkata chandni market which I used in my my ref and .

For pass F5 all versions, there is already a gb going on at diyaudio with normal as well as premium parts. I am pretty sure many people interested in it have already enrolled in it.

What about people wanting to pass the pass at this time:). Any chance of starting gb for some other amp. Could we atleast see which ones are possible candidates, maybe a poll will help.

For pass F5 all versions, there is already a gb going on at diyaudio with normal as well as premium parts. I am pretty sure many people interested in it have already enrolled in it.

What about people wanting to pass the pass at this time:). Any chance of starting gb for some other amp. Could we atleast see which ones are possible candidates, maybe a poll will help.

We can have a GB here for F5 with better components(premium).I am thinking of making this amp DIY AUDIO BLOG: TDA2050 - High -end version. The Gainclone Rival. I have asked Vinci for Gerber files so that PCBs can be made here.

Regards,
Sachin

Last edited:
Any chance for its turbo version w/ premium components? I am really interested.

This GB us going on a at diyaudio.com at present for std and premium components. Quite a few people have joined there, it will be difficult to beat that price. The f5 turbo v3 100w premium was around 200$ I think. The non gb price of components comes to more than 300$. FM magma has made cabs for f5 100w already for someone else.

This GB us going on a at diyaudio.com at present for std and premium components. Quite a few people have joined there, it will be difficult to beat that price. The f5 turbo v3 100w premium was around 200$ I think. The non gb price of components comes to more than 300$. FM magma has made cabs for f5 100w already for someone else.

That's a fair price,we still need to pay for shipping and customs..Does this also include trafo?I could not locate a BOM for Turbo.I will have better idea of proces if you direct me to BOM.

Regards,
Sachin

Can you post the link?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back