Request: Suggestion for a Nice TV

srikanthp

Hi All,

Just noticed this forum while searching for TV review for my parents in India,
I was wondering if you guys could please suggest a TV for a budget of 25k - 35k,..
I was browing through the other forums , would a LCD be available in the price range, or should i go for a bigger CRT,.. or any other suggestion would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
sri

Last edited:
A 32inch LCD will fit nicely in a budget of 28 and 30k. You should look Panasonic, LG, Samsung, SHarp and Sony.

Search the forum for 32inch LCD discussions. I would rate Panasonic Vierra TX-32LE8 model for 28k as the best but search and read the reviews of all models. This has been discussion a zillion times.

VIERA TX-32LE8 | LCD TV | Digital AV | Panasonic India

Also, read the Price Thread to know the latest prices our members have got.

If you did not find your answers for something specific then you can post in this thread else it would be good if you can continue discussion in the previous threads as it makes it easy.

Check this thread: http://www.hifivision.com/television/3609-panasonic-sony-sharp-samsung-need-advice.html

Hope it helps!

Definitely Panasonic. I have a 32" LCD and a 42" Plasma both from Panasonic and certainly the best in terms of PQ. Also, the best apart from Philips in terms of VFM factor too. You can take a look at Philips too, they are very good with great PQ. I also incidentally have a 3rd Panasonic CRT TV Panasonic Tau FX 29FX20CDS3 CRT TV and even this one has awesome PQ. It's also a steal since I picked it up at 11K and for a 29" CRT TV that's a great price considering others are pegged at 14K onwards.

What is the difference between Pana VIERA TX-32LE8 and VIERA TX-32LX80? The specs of both look same in the panasonic website...

What is the difference between Pana VIERA TX-32LE8 and VIERA TX-32LX80? The specs of both look same in the panasonic website...

LX is the higher priced model. It has an IPS Alpha Panel which is supposed to improve PQ and swivel stand. Honestly I could not find any difference between these two PQ. Not worth the extra 2k for LX.

Sorry to disagree Ram. The IPS panel is worth the measly 2K any day - if you are a frequent sports watcher or if you would like a TV to have the same colour contrast and brightness even if you view the TV from a spot which is not dead straight to the panel.

If in the future you would like to connect the TV to a laptop or a desktop and watch movies or game on it, then too, the IPS makes sense.

However if your viewing tendencies are to sit straight in front of the TV most of the time, the IPS panels are not going to be that important - though I would still consider them if motion blurring during sports gets your goat!

Sorry to disagree Ram. The IPS panel is worth the measly 2K any day - if you are a frequent sports watcher or if you would like a TV to have the same colour contrast and brightness even if you view the TV from a spot which is not dead straight to the panel.

If in the future you would like to connect the TV to a laptop or a desktop and watch movies or game on it, then too, the IPS makes sense.

However if your viewing tendencies are to sit straight in front of the TV most of the time, the IPS panels are not going to be that important - though I would still consider them if motion blurring during sports gets your goat!

Vortex I know what you mean, but what LX offers is IPS Alpha which is lower version (if you may call it) and its the IPS Panel which comes only in the 37inch and upwards which makes a good impact.

For me the difference in 32 incher was nothing to write about with respect to IPS Alpha, the 37incher the difference was noticeable and colors were warm.

This would be more evident when you watch a F1 kind of sport shows.

Since the requirement was for his parents, I had suggested LE is worth it.

I plan to use it for connecting to PC as well. Initially I thought of Samsung A450, but my budget is 30K. I see price difference between LE8 and LX80 is 12K (MRP). Anyone know the prices of LE8 and LX80 in Bangalore?

do note that AS-IPS or any other ips tech offers very low contrast even the latest flagship tech coming ips alpha group i.e the IPS-pro has a mximum contrast ratio of 1000:1.
IPS Alpha Technology, Ltd. : Products

compared to VA based tv which offer hell of lot more contrast,agreed the IPS based tv have the slight edge in viewing angles only at extreme viewing angles.the advantage of contrast can be spotted by a grandpa,everyone appreciates the advantage in contrast.

@srikanthp
u can go for the sony T series which does have a AMVA panel which offers around 50% more contrast then any IPS based tv having a normal backlight.
advatages of contrast great blacks and detail in shadow regions or movie like matrix which has lots of low light scenes.the sony T series should retail for about 35k street price.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Thanks a lot guys for the input,.. i am going through all your suggestion, as suggested by ram, going through all the other threads too,.. LG 32LG80FR
Samsung 32" A550 are also the ones too i am looking, i am some how not into plasma, still researching

thanks
sri

Sri, at 32inch stay away from Plasma. Think of Plasma only at 42 and above. You can go through all reviews but trust me seeing it is a different game.

What you should do is, make a top 3 list, take your parents with you and pick the one you guys feel the best. I think Pana offers best value for the buck.

Hmm an MVA panel at 32 inches as a TV? Sounds interesting as an option. The MVA is a cut above even the IPS panel in terms of colour production - accuracy thereof in particular. The MVA is a particular favourite of graphics artists. However response times on the MVA panel are not particularly faster than on IPS. Worth checking that out because on a TV, response times are more important than the absolute last word on accurate colour production.

Also while checking out the response times keep in mind that some manufacturers mention their G to G times (Grey to Grey) while others mention W to B times (White to Black). The latter is more relevant and in most cases the showroom staff in India are not well versed with these particulars. It is best to do some research over the internet before committing on the purchase.

Also I have found that in practice an 8 ms response time on an IPS panel is better than, say, a 5 ms response time on a normal TN panel. However mileage may vary with various models. And this could also be an effect of the different standards used by the manufacturer's in terms of stating specifications.

I agree with Ram that Plasmas are better in the larger sizes. And Panasonic is what I would pick as well if I were to buy one. Personally I am waiting for the OLEDs to hit the market. That should be interesting and could have a huge effect on the LCD and Plasma TV market.

Personally I am waiting for the OLEDs to hit the market. That should be interesting and could have a huge effect on the LCD and Plasma TV market.

Me too Vortex but you know how the electronic world is here, it will take atleast 3 yrs for OLEDs to even make a comparison in pricing factor.

Had been to few showrooms to check out as finally what matters is how it looks for the eye ;)

Note that I am not a TV expert and below is purely according to how it appeared to my eyes... :) All of them are 32 inch

TataSky Input:

For the passer-by look, there was not much difference between Samsung A450/650 and Panasonic LE8. After close to 5 minutes, I started noticing the difference. The difference of contrast was cleary visible. Huge differences between LE8 and A650, like Pulsar 150 and Yamaha R15 bikes. However, there was not much difference between LE8 and A450, athough A450 was looking better than LE8. I was very much impressed with Samsung A650. But my budget is not allowint for A650 :( and also feel its not VFM :rolleyes:

I started having closer look (Since I might use for connecting PC too). The contrast of LE8 was not sufficient considering the screen size (32 inch).

After looking all these I had a look at Panasonic 42PV8 and laughed off at LCDs. They can no way come near Plasma, especially Panasonic. I realised how much difference is there in terms of contrast and VFM of PV8 at 42K is amazing. But, who is selling PV8 for 42K in Bangalore :confused:

HD Input:

This was in Samsung showroom, so was able to compare only between A450 and A550, both 32 inch. I removed A650 for easier comparision.

First it was slow moving scenes. Here no difference between A450 and A550. Both were performing equally good from a distance of 6-8 feet. When I go closer, was able to notice little difference. I thought the input is not HD and confirmed again from sales guy :eek:

Next was fast moving scenes. Here I would say, dont worry whether HD Ready or Full HD. Will not make any difference. What matters here is contrast and both A450 and A550 were equally good.

Difference showed up when the scenes of Space came in. The clouds, mountains from the space were better in A550. Clearly, I was able to notice difference even from 8 feet. A550 with Full HD does make a difference. Note that A450 was not that bad and was trying hard :p

Looks like for my requirements A450 is good enough. But, I would also visit Panasonic Showroom to confirm my initial results of LE8 again.

Last edited:
Update after Visiting Panasonic Brand Shop in Koramangala...

Bottom line "BIG NO for Panasonic 32LE8"

As I entered the shop, it was a big WOW from me to see a TV which is as big as a wall. I would say that we have to measure that TV in terms of feet and not inches :p

Then I moved onto LCD section, where there were 4 LCDs lined up next to each other and an excellent sales person. Two 37 inch LCDs and Two 32 inch LCDs. In 32 inch, they had 32LE8 and 32LX800. The signal was from Hathaway Cable. From the first look where a HBO movie was running, there was no difference between 32LE8 and 32LX800. Tried to find out the difference, but failed miserably :eek:. They sales person told that LX800 has 100Hz. I asked what would be difference. He immediately started zapping the channels. I thougt for a while that we might find the difference while zapping the channels :D. Now he showed NDTV Profit and I was shocked. The ticker in the bottom, which shows the share price was looking as if someone is pulling it from both ends :eek: . He said that it easy to notice the LX800 enhancement in the ticker. The ticker was looking good in other two 37 inch LCDs and LX800. Whoever in this forum has LE8, please confirm that you experience the same. Also, can someone confirm if Samsung A450/550 has a similar problem?

Before going out of the shop, I wanted to experence the PV8. The sales person obliged and switched on 50inch and 42inch Plasmas. Firstly, it is very much true that if you want to watch TV, it has to be on a Plasma. It was amazing to see the big difference between LCDs and Plasma. May be the high-end LCDs like Sony X series can match, but the entry level ones cannot beat Panasonic Plasma. TataSky was running and it was very pleasing to see that a normal 4:3 output from TataSky also looks so nice in such a big TV. We asked for playing some HD content and we got to see a Blue-ray output. It was too good. I am not sure how Full HD plasma looks, but this HD ready PV8 itself was just mind blowing. The colors were so natural and you feel like watching the nature. I would say LCDs are good for cartoons only. I know that I am exaggerating a bit :D

In all, I have decided not to go for LE8 and my search continues.

Cheers

@srisetty
i know this is out of ur budget but check out the sony W series it has the highest contrast in 32inch, surpassing panasonic pV8/80 plasma.also did u look at sony other 32inch models like t,s,v.
and if u want to save some bucks u can also look at the grey market.

Update after Visiting Panasonic Brand Shop in Koramangala...

Bottom line "BIG NO for Panasonic 32LE8"

As I entered the shop, it was a big WOW from me to see a TV which is as big as a wall. I would say that we have to measure that TV in terms of feet and not inches :p

Then I moved onto LCD section, where there were 4 LCDs lined up next to each other and an excellent sales person. Two 37 inch LCDs and Two 32 inch LCDs. In 32 inch, they had 32LE8 and 32LX800. The signal was from Hathaway Cable. From the first look where a HBO movie was running, there was no difference between 32LE8 and 32LX800. Tried to find out the difference, but failed miserably :eek:. They sales person told that LX800 has 100Hz. I asked what would be difference. He immediately started zapping the channels. I thougt for a while that we might find the difference while zapping the channels :D. Now he showed NDTV Profit and I was shocked. The ticker in the bottom, which shows the share price was looking as if someone is pulling it from both ends :eek: . He said that it easy to notice the LX800 enhancement in the ticker. The ticker was looking good in other two 37 inch LCDs and LX800. Whoever in this forum has LE8, please confirm that you experience the same. Also, can someone confirm if Samsung A450/550 has a similar problem?

Before going out of the shop, I wanted to experence the PV8. The sales person obliged and switched on 50inch and 42inch Plasmas. Firstly, it is very much true that if you want to watch TV, it has to be on a Plasma. It was amazing to see the big difference between LCDs and Plasma. May be the high-end LCDs like Sony X series can match, but the entry level ones cannot beat Panasonic Plasma. TataSky was running and it was very pleasing to see that a normal 4:3 output from TataSky also looks so nice in such a big TV. We asked for playing some HD content and we got to see a Blue-ray output. It was too good. I am not sure how Full HD plasma looks, but this HD ready PV8 itself was just mind blowing. The colors were so natural and you feel like watching the nature. I would say LCDs are good for cartoons only. I know that I am exaggerating a bit :D

In all, I have decided not to go for LE8 and my search continues.

Cheers

So didnt you read my observatons yet?

http://www.hifivision.com/television/2423-32-lcd-comparison.html

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back