Request Suggestions : Fixed Projector Screen - 133"

rajendra_mba2002

Hi all,

Request your suggestions for a Fixed Projector Screen of 133 inches.
The content would be projected through an Epson TW9400 - so am looking for a Grey screen which can give me deep blacks.
Will the quality of screen really matter - would it not be dependant on the Projectors?

Few of the vendors have been recommending fixed screens from Reverb, Milan, Liberty, Grandview...(never heard of any of these brands before !)

Also, would u recommend a Fixed Projector Screen or a Motorized Projector screen for a dedicated Home Theatre room?
Will the fixed Projector screen not catch dust? How do we clean it?

Please advise.

Also, would u recommend a Fixed Projector Screen or a Motorized Projector screen for a dedicated Home Theatre room?

If it is a dedicated HT room, then a fixed screen is better.. If you happen to choose Vinyl screen for such a huge screen size, you will be forced to keep the center channel below your ear-level.. Not so ideal positioning..

A Acoustic transparent screen (Spandex fabric) would be better IMO as you can place the L-C-R behind the screen at ideal positions in the room.. You can bring the center channel to ear height too.. You can also add absorption in-between the speakers..

A ready made fixed Acoustic transparent screen may be expensive.. Better would be to DIY according to your needs & you should be able to customize the screen size to your room..

More benefits with AT screen.. Up to you to decide..

Will the fixed Projector screen not catch dust? How do we clean it?

You can use a vacuum clean to catch fine dust on the screen..

How would I go about making a DIY fixed screen if I'm not looking for any acoustic transparency? Will spandex be the fabric in this scenario as well?

How would I go about making a DIY fixed screen if I'm not looking for any acoustic transparency? Will spandex be the fabric in this scenario as well?

I haven't used other materials, my experience is limited to fabric (spandex only).. May be vinyl material, but am not too sure if it would suit DIY..

I haven't used other materials, my experience is limited to fabric (spandex only).. May be vinyl material, but am not too sure if it would suit DIY..

I see..

I just bought an epson 4050. I was waiting to see what size I can project in my room before I narrow down a screen. Now that it's here should I go with 2 layer spandex with the black one behind the grey one?

The options in the current market seem to have these ugly black bezels which I cannot stand..

I see..

I just bought an epson 4050. I was waiting to see what size I can project in my room before I narrow down a screen. Now that it's here should I go with 2 layer spandex with the black one behind the grey one?

The options in the current market seem to have these ugly black bezels which I cannot stand..
There are screens with this bezels..
Without bezels the projectors have to be perfectly setup..

I see..

If you already have the projector, project it on the wall and measure it diagonally to get to accurate size for DIY..

2 layers of spandex is generally used.. Whit spandex stretched over black.. I have done that too.. You can also try grey if you can't control direct light hitting the screen..

If you already have the projector, project it on the wall and measure it diagonally to get to accurate size for DIY..

2 layers of spandex is generally used.. Whit spandex stretched over black.. I have done that too.. You can also try grey if you can't control direct light hitting the screen..

Oh. Where can I source the spandex from?

Oh. Where can I source the spandex from?

I sourced it from Tiruppur, with help of local forum member/ friend there.. Try to source it incase you have any contacts there.. Incase, you aren't able to source, let me know.. I will check if that FM can offer help to you in sourcing the material..

If you use 2-3 layers of spandex, wouldn't the AT properties reduce ? I mean 1 layer should be fine but what happens to sound if you increase number of layers - wouldn't sound get muffled ?

If you use 2-3 layers of spandex, wouldn't the AT properties reduce ? I mean 1 layer should be fine but what happens to sound if you increase number of layers - wouldn't sound get muffled ?

Usually 2 layers of spandex are used (White over black).. I have been using 2 layers for my screen.. There is a sound attenuation by few dB's in the very high freq, but that should get adjusted by speaker levels during calibration..

I have L/R outside the screen, but the center channel behind the screen.. Post calibration, i can see the center speaker level are reduced than the L/R..

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back