Require AVR advice for movies

msankadi

Hi

I had sold off my Denon receiver last year as I was planning to get one that supports 4k from the US. However, due to Covid it didn't happen last year and is unlikely in 2021. I am a neophyte in sound but I did enjoy watching movies and tv series on my modest ht setup.

I have a set of Boston Acoustics SoundWareXS5.1B 5.1 Speaker System (Black) speakers.
My requirement is 90-95% movies and maybe an hour of music once in a month or 2.

Source material: Amazon firestick, VU 65ut TV apps 4k streaming, HTPC NUC 4k Blurays (50-80gb), PS4 pro, some football via hotstar, seldom use my airtel stb

I am looking for a simple AV receiver to revive my HT setup. Please provide some suggestions. I got the last receiver at about 22k from the US lasted 5+ years and was just awesome. Not sure about what budget should I set, please guide me. If there are any options that have an extended warranty, will be happy to invest in that.

Some other info:
- I plan to use the same set of speakers and don't intend to upgrade them unless they fail or you tell me if it is absolutely vital
- I will have the speakers set up in a 5.1 array in my living room
- The living room is quite open, below is the floor plan of my current flat where this is going to be setup
- Unfortunately, in the current society, even though there is full power backup, the power cycles (on-off, it goes for about 2 minutes before the generator kicks in) quite a lot. I don't have an inverter but currently have APC ups for my tv/ps4 etc. How much will I need to spend on the UPS solution for the speaker+AVR setup?
- I have the wires in the speakers from my last HT setup so can use them to set it up

Pls let me know if you need any other details. I am in Bangalore.

I mostly intend to buy this from hifimart based on FMs reviews. Quite averse to reaching out to dealers offline but can do it if needed, for my love of money :p

Floor plan:

1614068841458.png

Last edited:
You have already used a denon, why non get another? Depending on your budget.

You have already used a denon, why non get another? Depending on your budget.

Yes i am definitely fine with that but want to check if it is still the right choice as I am not particularly loyal..I just want the best product...moreover i cant find denon in stock on hifimart and profx is a looter company want to avoid it at any cost

:) talk to Anil, he got me a X2700h last month. There are others - many AVRs, but atleast for me Denon works best. Marantz is good too, but depends, I prefer the punchier denons.

:) talk to Anil, he got me a X2700h last month. There are others - many AVRs, but atleast for me Denon works best. Marantz is good too, but depends, I prefer the punchier denons.
I am not able to find a good comparison and getting lost between bt550, avrx 1400,1500,1600,2400h and so on....can you suggest a couple of good models for my use case so that I can research further

If you want only 5.1 - X2700h should be sufficient, if you want more channels, go for the 3XXX, 4XXX. What I mean is that not that the 2700 can't support additional channels, but it has got almost everything you might need for your sources and speakers.

Last edited:
If you want only 5.1 - X2700h should be sufficient, if you want more channels, go for the 3XXX, 4XXX. What I mean is that not that the 2700 can't support additional channels, but it has got almost everything you might need for your sources and speakers.
Yes but it is way too costly :) I am planning to spend around 30-40k if possible on the avr

Pioneer, Onkyo, used denons. Yamaha is making some budget options too. Keep an eye out for the used ones. I am a Denon Fanboy for AVRs, :)

I am not sure if I have ever heard that particular model, but I have heard a few Yamahas. They are pretty neat, Yamaha is no stranger to sound engineering. I find them a little bright, but I do not have a lot of experience with Yamahas, specially the newer ones. Someone here who owns one can perhaps better elaborate. This model has got a lot of high praise though.

You can also check out the Sony, budget line, as they limited their channels to 5.1 only, they managed to bring the price down good for some nice sound.

Unfortunately looking at some past thread and current prices, I am finding that it is probably the worst time to buy an AVR due to a shortage of supply. Guess I will wait till mid-year to see if the prices stabilize again. No use being impatient and buying a subpar product when I can get a much better one with the same money in just a few more months.

Thanks a lot for all your suggestions everyone

Unfortunately looking at some past thread and current prices, I am finding that it is probably the worst time to buy an AVR due to a shortage of supply. Guess I will wait till mid-year to see if the prices stabilize again. No use being impatient and buying a subpar product when I can get a much better one with the same money in just a few more months.

Since you already used a Denon...get a Marantz!

I used a Marantz NR1402 in the past with BS XS 5.1 speakers.....I suggest you get the NR1509 or NR1510

Speak to Mr Anil and I am sure he will work out a nice competitive rate.......

The NR series is more than sufficient to drive the Boston speakers...after audyssey setup (which sets conservative levels), you can manually increase each channel by 1db if you feel the volume is low. Also you can increase the source levels accordingly if very low.

All the best!

dont expect anything to drastically change in few upcoming months. Dealer who bought stock at higher price, will sell it at higher price. And since AVR market in india is controlled by just a few players, so, price will not normalise soon

Yamama AVR will be in your budget and they are good for movies. Sound will be little different than Demon. Demon will have fuller presentation and Yamaha may sound flat.

Yamama AVR will be in your budget and they are good for movies. Sound will be little different than Demon. Demon will have fuller presentation and Yamaha may sound flat.
Yes I doubt given my ear is not that experienced, I would be able to tell the difference anyways....I am still going to wait a couple of months now...max to max...no prices drop and I will buy them at the current prices...
If they do rise again and corona has a second(?) wave...oh well! bigger problems to think about then the AVR box

Yes I doubt given my ear is not that experienced, I would be able to tell the difference anyways....I am still going to wait a couple of months now...max to max...no prices drop and I will buy them at the current prices...
If they do rise again and corona has a second(?) wave...oh well! bigger problems to think about then the AVR box
it’s better you go and do audtion of both yamaha and denon avr side by side and then decide weather your ears are that experienced or not

Denon prices increased this month, check if any dealer has units with old MRP, may get at better price.

Yamaha released new models , you may consider V4A.

What I heard is distributors are pushing speakers along with AVRs and in turn dealers also doing the same.
High discounts are not offered on standalone AV Receiver requirements - at the lower and mid ranges

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back