Require input in buying 5.1 home theatre system

Prashant Bhavsar

Hi All,

I am Prashant from Bangalore working with a captive offshore unit and have joined this forum today. I wasn't aware about this forum at all and came across while searching for home theatre system which I am currently looking to buy.

I have gone through lot of threads and found useful (though could not understand technical details much). I have joined this forum with an intent to make myself aware about what kind of home theatre system I should be buying and increasing knowledge which will allow me to help others as well.

I want to buy 5.1 home theatre system and while googling came across harman kardon black and white edition (BDS 575) and Sony BDV N9200W.

My living is 19x11 ft and I am looking for decent system which can be used for long term purpose considering rapid change in technology. (Wifi,AirPlay,etc).

My purpose is to watch movies and listen to music.(music album, trance,etc)

I want to know which system I should buy. Above 2 are indicative and I am open to suggestion. Price range 60-75 k. Also whether I should go for tower speakers or satellite and which place/shop in Bangalore would be ideal.

Your help and suggestion would help a lot as I want to buy this by this month.

Awaiting help.
Prashant

Thanks
Prashant

Last edited:
Hi, Welcome to the forum :)

For 75K budget, dont go for HTiB. You can go for a good midrange AVR with good bookshelf speaker pairs. because in HTiB you wont get the punchy sound which is good at AVR with bookshelf or floor standing speakers.

If you are going to listen sounds from AVR for the first time then you will be amazed for sure :)

Better go to some shops like profx or csk electronic in you area and try to audition it. I am sure you will enjoy it.

Hi Prashant, welcome to HFV mate.

At this price point there are so many options. I'd like to suggest you to go for separates instead of HTIB ( courtesy HFV).

For starters,

Car audio - Car video - Home audio and Home theater -Avenue sound in India

Speaker Systems

Mobile Site Preview

Please note: I am not associated with any of the sites mentioned above.

I haven't heard anyone of them but as per reviews on Internet (courtesy google, amazon), I think Energy Take Classic 5.1 would be one of the best choices.

With rest of your budget you can go for an entry level AVR.

Please don't go for loads of features, go for sound quality instead.

Check these--
5.1 Speaker package- PIONEER ANDREW JONES AJ-5235XT 5.1 CHANNEL SPEAKER PACKAGE --> 51K at hifimart.com
This is a no nonsense entry level complete package!

AND

AVR- PIONEER VSX-824-K => 32.9K at hifimart.com
DLNA and AirPlay certified...check specs at VSX-824-K | Pioneer IndiaPioneer India
seems like it lacks inbuilt wifi though.

Total at 84K
If you check at local shops..you can definitely get these for 75K!
But do an audition before buying! and wait for more experienced FMs to comment here.

@prashant, in case you are interested in energy speakers, you can talk to (pm to) fellow HFV member manniraj. He uses them.

Hope, I didn't offend anyone.

Please also understand, I am not selling you anything. Just trying to help you to get first hand experience. :)

Hi

Thanks for your note.

Since last 3 weeks I have been searching for good 5.1 speakers and went through lot of auditions in Bangalore ( incl hifivision sound and vision show at ritz)

1. KEF T 105 satellite speaker/Denon 1100 AVR
2. Polk OWM3 /5 (satellite) with YAmaha RX 577
3. Focal Bird 5.1 (satellite)/ Marantz ( not intending to buy Marantz as out of budget)
4. Klipsch(floor standing) / MArantz( As a part of deal this will be clubbed with Denon)
5. Yamo 426 & Yamo 536 (Floor standing) with Marantz
6. Yamo 536 with Denon (floor standing)
7. Energy RC micro 5.1 (satellite)
8. Elac FS 67.2 with Elec starlet (rears) and Elam cc181 centre

Out of all above undoubtedly floor standing provides much more detail and clarity as compared to satellite or book shelf.

However I am now completely confused as each seller is trying to push his brand/product. My living is 19*11 ( clear viewing/ hearing distance is approx 9 and half feet) towers are good but doesn't fit in aesthetically considering small living space (but ready to compromise on this front if I need to go for towers) and satellite does not provide that punch or vocal clarity.

Initially I started with budget of 75k but unable to find anything and now increased to 1.25K - 35k ( inc AvR)

I need advise on which speakers (whether satellite or FS and which brand/model no) and AVR ( features like Bluetooth, wifi and power punch)to buy considering my requirement:

1. Listen to club/party music and blues/jazz
2. Movies and you tube vevo videos
3. Tuning to radio.

I need to close this max in a week as my interior and wiring work is pending due to my confused state of mind that which speakers should I opt?

Hope to receive good advise from readers on this [i am looking for absolutely value for money deal but with greater sound detail ( dire strait/ hotel California/concerts)plus punch when it comes to party music (David GUetta or Avicii)].

Regards,
Prashant

Hi Forum Members,

Can i please request to help me out with selection.

Whether i should go for satellite or towers? and which brand and model no.

If i can get shop name that would be an added advantage.

Regards,
Prashant

Dear Prashant

I had the same dilemma whilst in your shoes some four years or so back. Started looking for an HTiB for 25k, jacked the budget up to 75k after getting done knowhow plus my inclination towards music and ended with a 90k plus 2.0 setup!!!

It's all about ones own choice and ears. All the brands that you've mentioned are reputed ones and you will find some one or the other admiring a few and blasting at a few depending on their own choice of sound.

As far as going for floor standees is concerned, note that a high end book shelf will beat an average floor stander in performance. Again, it's all on the preference.

Some basic inputs would be....

1) do a lot of auditioning
2) carry the same movie and music discs to all the auditions that you are familiar with

3) do good amount of research to learn a little about the latest trends in technology. Basically- WHAT SALES!!!

Welcome to HFV Buddy...

When you want to balance between Movies & Music, Floorstanders are the way to go if you have the space, if not Book shelf can do the job...

Satellites based speaker system are good for movies, but you will not get the punch for music... So remove satellites based systems from your list...

The pioneer 5.1 system suggested by FM 20Khz are good speakers & extremely value for money....

An other speaker that you may consider is Micca aval in Amazon.in.. I think they are clearing stocks of older model (MB42, MB42-C). You will get a 5.0 speaker system for 20K :eek:hyeah:.. You can buy a subwoofer separately..

As far as AVR is concerned, Pioneer is modestly priced compared to other brands... Try to get in touch with hifimart.com support team & check if they can source any midrange models of Pioneer...

Don't look for upto-date AVR models with 4K capability & other capabilities... Consider 1 - 2 yr old models also where you might very good deals...

Let us know what works for you..

Thanks for your note.

I was thinking of buying ELAC FS 67.2 however unable to find online reviews. considering lack of space even tempted to go for Energy bookshelf speakers and pairing them with ELAC starlet rear ones.

AVR - between onkyo txnr 545 or 646 and denon 1200w or 2200w

any suggestion please?

Thanks Paritosh, Eleangoas and Ramesh

Can i please ask Bangalore forum members help me finding geniune dealers. I happen to visit few dealers and most confusing part is all of them deals with different brands and boasts that those are good speakers and quoting exorbitant prices.

Any pointers towards genuine dealers will be very much helpful.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back