Research better than buying?

doctur

Hi
I have been researching audio equipment since the last 1 month.
I bought Denon 1509. Now I am researching for Wharfedale speakers.
I am getting a feeling that research gives an equal if not more pleasure than actually buying the equipment.
Anybody has the same feeling?

Absolutely Doctur! That is the philosophy I have learnt from life:). All the excitement is in the hunt. Whatever be your pursuit nothing excites like the hunt. Consummation always leaves you wanting more. Waiting for the next hunt....

welcome to the world researchers :lol:
well I was cleaning up some drawers today (actually forced to) and there were so many brochures stuffed inside - didn't buy any of that junk. That reminds me that it has been more than a year now since I have been drawn to this research.

regards

I also agree. Research is really better than buying. The reasons are:
- One can study and listen to systems, which he can not afford even
- Possibilities are wide open, so good feeling
- Come accross different people, audiophiles
- Quite enrichment in knowledge

After buying the most critical phase starts i.e. correction of the room acoustics. It is always a mundane and taxing job.

I am fortunate that currently I am in Reserach mode. But people remains in reserach mode, even after buying .... for next upgrade!

Oh absolutely, I've been harassing fellow forum-ites for each component of a very very modest setup for what has been months i think, and the speakers are still left.

I even do research for others. People tell me their requirements (everything from cameras to washing machines to microwaves) and I do the research for them. The research is absolutely thrilling.

Hi good doctur,

when the mind is busy, it is happy, happier if it can wander in abstract mode.

for example, when one has ordered (and paid) for a new car, thoughts during the waiting period before delivery can be especially pleasant - the look of it, the smell of it, the shininess of it - all can be coloured by the mind the way we want- but when the car comes the reality fixes your mind and it cannot wander pleasantly.

Yes, it is the chase that is better than......:)

Until a few years back, I used to research the greatest in PC hardware esp. mobo technologies like pci-e, HyperTransport, cpu architecture etc etc and "build" a virtual PC every 6 months. That daydreaming is over for me now, but yeah researching can by a fun pastime on its own. I do not however enjoy researching hi-fi as my interest is purely for emotional enjoyment not intellectual. :)

Cheers

Until a few years back, I used to research the greatest in PC hardware esp. mobo technologies like pci-e, HyperTransport, cpu architecture etc etc and "build" a virtual PC every 6 months. That daydreaming is over for me now, but yeah researching can by a fun pastime on its own. I do not however enjoy researching hi-fi as my interest is purely for emotional enjoyment not intellectual. :)

Cheers

Your wallet is saved!:) I am curious about one thing - why is the virtual PC building over now? You have gotten over that phase?

doctur
Yes it is exciting to research, but at some point you will have to stop, decide and enjoy it, making way for some more research.

Here is a quote from -- Tao Le Ching
"The more you know, the less you understand." :)

Hiten

I know exactly what you mean. A few years ago when I was buying my first stereo setup I must have spent nearly 6 months doing the rounds of every single showroom in Mumbai. I have easily visited more than half of them twice or more. Some must have wanted to down their shutters when they saw me coming!

That pleasure of listening to systems, taking notes, comparing, testing theories, etc. is a great deal of fun. Of course, and thankfully, the pleasure of finally buying the setup, bringing it home and enjoying it every day far surpasses it!

Doctur, I too agree with you.
For me, this research/addiction gives a good break from job.
Also as time goes by, I discover my tastes(in music) better.
As a byproduct, with more pay-slips coming in, the budget also grows.
The only disadvantage is that my wife thinks I am more interested in this than her (which probably may be true at times).

Hi
journeys is always more more enjoyable than the destination, at least for me. once i reach destination , i feel a kind of emptiness(although with satisfaction) and to fill that up, i start another journey.

Your wallet is saved!:) I am curious about one thing - why is the virtual PC building over now? You have gotten over that phase?

Yep. I used to go to the PC market and ask about specific hardware and they would give me blank stares and ask me why I wanted that only. After wasting my breath on these traders who treat pc hardware like onions and potatoes I finally gave up in frustration realizing none of these stuff will ever reach Indian shores. Moreover ask for a stale potato on the shelf to a trader and the price of the "special" stale variety will zoom to the stratosphere. Likewise because I wanted "that" only, it was suddenly way expensive and out of reach ... :(

Regards

PS: Hey Doctur - if you bowed each time you thanked somebody for a post, you would be bedridden with back pain by now. Save your thanks for a good answer to your specific question. :)

Regards

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back