[Resolved] Getting duped by HeadphoneZone

akr706

Around a month ago, I purchased the Topping PA3 amp from them which died just a couple of days ago. I contacted them for a replacement. Now they are saying the product has been discontinued and best they can do is giving me a store credit for 11k.

Next available amp on their site is SMSL DA9 for 25k, but, to be honest, I would rather get 5 x AIYIMA A07 from China (already have one). Therefore, the store credit has zero value for me.

What should I do? What are my options? Raise a complaint with my credit card company? Any suggestions from fellow members?
This was my first ever purchase from HPZ and probably the last one.

1633606082621.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, There have been cases where customers had to return product due to their mistake. In such cases also they have blatantly refused any other means of refund.

You have only one option of selling off the credit at a 500-1000 loss. Owner Raghav is on FB, you may try to reach out, but don't expect too much out of it.

Yes, There have been cases where customers had to return product due to their mistake. In such cases also they have blatantly refused any other means of refund.

You have only one option of selling off the credit at a 500-1000 loss. Owner Raghav is on FB, you may try to reach out, but don't expect too much out of it.
I understand not refunding in case of returns, since that's customer's fault. But in this case, they are providing the warranty on this product, shouldn't they be responsible for this? Why do I have to suffer the loss of 11k?

Also, how and where can I sell the credit?

Around a month ago, I purchased the Topping PA3 amp from them which died just a couple of days ago. I contacted them for a replacement. Now they are saying the product has been discontinued and best they can do is giving me a store credit for 11k.

Next available amp on their site is SMSL DA9 for 25k, but, to be honest, I would rather get 5 x AIYIMA A07 from China (already have one). Therefore, the store credit has zero value for me.

What should I do? What are my options? Raise a complaint with my credit card company? Any suggestions from fellow members?

View attachment 62777
File a case in consumer court online

Www.pgportal.gov.in

Pgportal is not for telecom only. You can use it to file complaints about insurance, travel, credit card , banks. Anything.

There is also an online consumer redressal system in place now. I personally haven't used it, but I was directed to it one time I was trying to find some information.
INGRAM | Integrated Grievance Redressal Mechanism

May be they need a little push.
Go to pgportal.gov.in
Make an account
Lodge a complaint, by selecting ministry of consumer affairs.
Don't forget to give proper communication address, email and phone numbers of the office and local service provider.

This will move things at a rapid pace, believe me

View attachment 62777

That's very unfortunate, I have heard many such complaints of lackluster service by HPZ and their usual practice has been to blame it on the brand directly. I can understand if its a new chinese brand, but this is Topping and should not matter if product has been originally discontinued. Please search for a direct Topping contact and complain that you are not happy with the resolution offered, that might help. Recently read an article where a guy had to get refund via store credit and they were not willing to refund him the store reward points he used citing absurd reasons.

I personally consider items as no warranty when buying from HPZ and only go by the virtue of the product.

View attachment 62777
Are there no means of claiming warranty for the product in India? If they were responsible for it, then store credit isn't enough if they can't fix the item or offer a similar replacement.

You can raise the issue with India Consumer complaints which is a govt governed website. It's slow but effective. I got my refund from a popular travel website as they were avoiding my calls and mail's for refund when the Covid scene just started and no one could travel.
Posting on Twitter also helps a lot when other avenues fail.

A post on TIAF on FB should be helpful, although you will get some opposition as its intended for only discussions and not complaints. But worth trying across all possible avenues and they also have a HPZ support page on FB.

Check what are the original terms of the warranty. If it states that they are supposed to repair or replace it then don't accept the voucher/credit thing.
Stand by the warranty terms and ask for full refund.

You are no way bound to buy anything that you don't need.

Quite sad to hear this. I was planning to order a Chord M-scaler in a few days, but will avoid this dealer, at least for higher end purchases.
Cheers,
Sid
By choosing not to buy from headphone zone after reading OP's incident you are doing a lot Sid.
M-scaler is not cheap and he lost this business from you and I wish someone working for headphone zone or owner himself reads this.

Check what are the original terms of the warranty. If it states that they are supposed to repair or replace it then don't accept the voucher/credit thing.
Stand by the warranty terms and ask for full refund.

You are no way bound to buy anything that you don't need.
Yes, I did check the warranty terms on Topping's website.

It says - "Please contact the seller for help after you find the product works abnormally. If they refuse to provide after-sales service, please give feedback to TOPPING, we will handle it properly to ensure customer's satisfaction."

So I went ahead and dropped an email to them as well.

Thanks! I sent a request to join the group.

Unfortunately, I'm not on twitter. :(

I tried to get raise my voice on reddit (/r/India), but looks like my post got shadowed or may be the mods need to manually approve my first post on that sub, not sure.

I try to avoid social media as much as I can. But I realised that I needed a Twitter account to raise such issues with unscrupulous sellers or service providers as anything against their reputation hurts most with so many people watching the thread. But before that, you need to have your facts in place (receipts, warranties etc) and be sure that you are not in the wrong and tarnishing the other person's reputation which in your case, you seem to be in the right.
I opened a Twitter account with the sole purpose to deal only with such issues and nothing else. 2 such issues got resolved very quickly on Twitter and 1 on India consumer complaints. I really wish if business in general were to be conducted with more honesty and ethics rather than with the intention of just juicing the customer and then leaving him/her in the lurch mentality.

To be honest, I paid 11k only because of the warranty and some peace of mind. Didn't imagine that store credit would be a resolution for these people lol. I actually laughed at their resolution.
I very well understand where you are coming from, I myself used to factor in the warranty before but with the amount of complaints received on the service rather the lack of it recently, i Iook at price internationally and if its well priced with a minimal hike(10/15%) then I go for it. To pay anything beyond 30/40% of international pricing the warranty needs to be spot on.

Not saying I will let them do as they wish , but will be mentally prepared to not feel agitated during the process.

Back