Rethm Tube Amp. Its finally here

prem

Hi Guys

Received my Rethm tube amp on Friday. Its called Gaanam.

Its a 12 watt single ended ultralinear integrated amp.
Uses 2 Gold Lion Reissue KT88 tubes
It has two inputs.
All wood chassis to avoid eddy currents.
Driver transformer instead of driver tubes for more linearity and dynamic extension.
Preamp section uses 6BL7 GTA tubes.
Power supply unit is separated.
The power supply unit and the amp unit each measure
11 inches x 22 inches x 6 inches.

As expected looks very nice. Will try and post pictures on the weekend.
Now coming to the sound, its a modern tube amp. All the goodness of the tubes is there without the mushiness. Extension at both ends is very good. Midrange is accurate and slightly on the warm side. Transparency and detailing is excellent. Soundstaging is superb. It can rock when needed and can be soulful when required. Anybody looking at a tube amp should give this an audition. I have heard the Leben 600 integrated several times. I prefer the Rethm tube amp. IMO more open and transparent. Since the tubes are being used very conservatively, power can be increased to 15 watts, if required.

Pricing is Rs 1,30,000 + taxes

Anyone is more than welcome to come home and listen to it.

Thanks Dinyaar. Someday would like to come over and listen to your set up. I am sure the Accuphase 450 must a match made in heaven for the B&W 805s.

congratulations prem!

awaiting pics! am sure it matches very well with your speakers. by the way where in bombay are you located?

regards

Hi Stevieboy

I stay at Bandra.

Hi Psychotropic

Will post pictures on Sunday.

Thanks Dinyaar. Someday would like to come over and listen to your set up. I am sure the Accuphase 450 must a match made in heaven for the B&W 805s.

Well not sure of the match made in heaven but to my ears its the best I've heard this speaker perform. A step above all the other amps (long list) i have tried.
Have had this 450 for a while and its turning out to be something spectacular truly. I hate raving about my gear and am in fact always 'cold' but these amps seem special.
U are always welcome to come over PRem. Come in Jan as my apt will be renovated and the gear should be set up better than it is currently.
Rgds

Hi Dinyaar

Great to hear you are enjoying your set up. Will try and catch up early next year.

Congrats Prem on your tube gear!

Which speakers and source do you have?

--
helium
Amp: Lyrita SET 2A3
Speakers: Vintage B&W DM4
Source: LG DVD + Beresford DAC
Cables: Lyrita's I.C & cables

Hi Heliumflight

I have the Rethm Saadhana speakers. Source is Esoteric P70 transport and Esoteric D70 DAC.

Hi Guys

Received my Rethm tube amp on Friday. Its called Gaanam.

Its a 12 watt single ended ultralinear integrated amp.
Uses 2 Gold Lion Reissue KT88 tubes

prem have you heard SET 2A3 and/ if yes can you compare them with SET Gaanam

Kindest regards,

No. I have not heard the Lyrita 2A3 integrated amp. I have heard other 2A3 amps. Personally i prefer the 45 tube to the 2A3 tube. More dynamics. More transparency. More details. More bass. The Yamamoto A08 with the Emmission Labbs 45 tubes is one of my favorites.

I used to have the Dehavilland Aries 845 monoblocs earlier. With the Rethms, I prefer the Gaanam over the Dehavillands. The tubes are still breaking in. I believe the Gold Lion KT88 reissues need over 100 hrs to open up.

No. I have not heard the Lyrita 2A3 integrated amp. I have heard other 2A3 amps. Personally i prefer the 45 tube to the 2A3 tube. More dynamics. More transparency. More details. More bass. The Yamamoto A08 with the Emmission Labbs 45 tubes is one of my favorites.

I used to have the Dehavilland Aries 845 monoblocs earlier. With the Rethms, I prefer the Gaanam over the Dehavillands. The tubes are still breaking in. I believe the Gold Lion KT88 reissues need over 100 hrs to open up.

Hi Prem,

Congrats on your new amp.
I too prefer the 45's to the 2a3.I would love to try the EM labs 45 but the price is kind of steep. NOS ST shape 45's seem inexpensive compared to the EM labs 45.

The good thing about the Lyrita 2A3 is that you can swap between 2A3 and 45 without any adjustments to the circuit.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi Rajiv

My diyhifisupply Jopin now on 2A3s can handle both 300B and 45s, so I might be interested in playing with 45s if they are affordable.What do the NOS ones that you refer to cost? I'm not interested in buying four 300Bs at this time..

Thanks
George

Hi George,

The average price of a pair of 45's on E.bay is around $100.Singles go for much less.

http://completed.shop.ebay.com/Elec...ronics_R2&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m283&_rdc=1

This is less expensive than a pair of Emmision Labs 45's at around $400 a pair for solid plates the mesh plates are $500.

Emission Labs Tubes

I have bought two pairs of 45's (tested matched pair,RCA and National Union) from tctubes. 45 Triode Tube Types in Stock for $120/pair.The tubes have worked well and I have had no problems.

You can contact Tyler at tctubes and ask if he has four 45 tubes from the same brand.He is a good guy to deal with.

I still kick myself for not buying 45's 2a3's VT25's when they were being sold for around Rs.100 in the tube stores in Madras(mid 90's).At that time I was only interested in EL34's Kt66,etc.and was not into SET amplification.

Regards
Rajiv

100 bucks for 45s???? wow now that's a nice christmas gift to oneself! if only... how are the national union versus the rcas rajiv? had time to do a slightly detailed comparison?

george,

a definitely good idea to buy some 45s. prem, rajiv and me all love the 45s :) is still put in the 2A3s now and then but primarily its the 45s for me. just cuts to the heart of the music like a red hot knife through butter.

regards

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back