Review of Yamaha RX V577 and Polk Audio TL1600

abhimanyuk

Firstly, I would like to begin this review by thanking all the forum members for helping me with their inputs and views towards my decision.

I had a budget of approx 75,000 for my home theatre. Instead of running into what all I had shortlisted , I will go in to my review . Also, I ended up buying the above mentioned setup thanks to my relative purchasing it for me in Dubai and hence I ended up paying only half of what I would have to pay here in India for the same setup.

Review : Let me begin with the amp, I setup my amp with the Sony W700B , PS3 and Tata sky HD box. I was able to set it up easily to the speakers thanks to the suggestions from the members. Next I ran the YPAO and that was super.
My relative also brought for me the audio cables with banana plugs,HDMI wire and RAC cable for the sub.

I first want to setup my amp with the wifi connection at home and it was a very simple and easy setup. Browsing the RADIO stations online via Airplay was a breeze .I also went to link my andriod phone and tablet to the amp give me easy access and I have actually stopped using the physical remote.
Note : I had to setup the tablet and phone manually to my ip settings via the app on play store. For some reason the app was not picking up the amp automatically but its not a big deal.

I had first decided to play music as I played the following tracks and I also recommend the same : Lootera from Zinda, Animals by Martix Garrix, Pathaka kuddi from Highway, Walk of Life by Dire Straits.
I was totally sold on the first track I played.I am an amatuer so cant give a technical review but as someone who has a decent ear for music, I totally loved the sound and had a huge smile as I was totally content with my decision.
I dont like loud music and I neither turn up the volume high. I wanted clear sounds with good bass (not too heavy) and this system was giving me exactly what I wanted.

Next I went on to listen to the TV (Tatasky) and FM radio and both again sounded great. Radio fm infact also sounds great.

Now coming to the movies, I had planned to always play the following :
Transformers (part2) - I have a blue ray I played via the PS3, Sherlock Holmes - Game of Shadows (via wifi through my comp), The Babadook (wifi through the comp), Adventures of Tintin (wifi through the comp).
These files are movies I have downloaded in blue ray format and each movie looked and sounded amazing. Every sound - the bullets,cars,doors slamming was just mind blowing.
The Babadook is a horror film and I really suggest this movie as a must try on your home theatre as it has all the right sounds to test and indicate the power of your home theatre.

I want to sumarise in a single line - This amp and speakers are a great buy and will not dissapoint.

I had read that the woofer does not have a lot of bass but that is exactly what I wanted. I have kept the bass at just half on the dial and it suits me perfectly.I keep changing the sound levels at the speakers in the rear as per what I am watching. For music it is lower but for movies I increase it.

In the end , I will please suggest that do listen to the speakers that you want to buy. I might be wrong but generally all amps at the budget I had (approx 30,000) more or less will be good and on par in all brands.

The setup (amp - 49,000 and speakers - 42,000 ) ended up costing me 50% cheaper since I got it from Dubai. No warranty is the risk I took and luckily all ended up working fine. Plus customs was not an issue at all so no extra charge. Cables and setup I did with the help of my father in law and brother in law and that too was very simple.

Will post pictures soon :):yahoo::clapping:

Hi,

I am also planning for the POLK systems. I read some bad reviews on Amazon for the Polk system when playing music (mp3 - 128, 256 bitrate). Did you try mp3 and was any change in the performance ?

Guess only the front sats will work.

Regards,
Akshat

Hi,

I am also planning for the POLK systems. I read some bad reviews on Amazon for the Polk system when playing music (mp3 - 128, 256 bitrate). Did you try mp3 and was any change in the performance ?

Guess only the front sats will work.

Regards,
Akshat

Don't worry at all there are different modes in avr which you can select for All speakers to produce sound you need to setup multichannel stereo and you will be able to hear from all speakers. Also the only two channels Will work in direct mode and stereo mode. Direct mode is the way it is intended by the sound engineer/director intended it to sound so if the source is music 2channels then you will hear sound from two. If 6(5.1) then 5 speakers work + subwoofer. Mind you this is if avr is set to direct mode only. If you like all speakers to play then multichannel can also be selected. Hope this clears your confusion

Dear Members,

Thank you for the appreciation :)

Yes, mp3 sounds are also great and you can choose any of the presets from the amp equaliser to suit your ears. One things I should add is that every mp3 sounds different as it depends on the quality of the mp3 source file.

This setup in the pics is a very temporary arrangement as this flat we live is on rent and we will be shifting into our own place in April 2015 and hence we will do the required wall mounted setup that time :yahoo::yahoo:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 128
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 125
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 125
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 124
Dear Members,

Thank you for the appreciation :)

Yes, mp3 sounds are also great and you can choose any of the presets from the amp equaliser to suit your ears. One things I should add is that every mp3 sounds different as it depends on the quality of the mp3 source file.

This setup in the pics is a very temporary arrangement as this flat we live is on rent and we will be shifting into our own place in April 2015 and hence we will do the required wall mounted setup that time :yahoo::yahoo:
Will wait for your initial impression once you movie to your new flat. Hope your new flat is being setup with the ht in mind. Dont forget to add proper(extra) cabling for some future upgrades if any comes up later. Again i would say please do the lan cabling wherever required. Though wireless is the new standard but you will get best results using wired networks in case you plan on using networking features.

you like all speakers to play then multichannel can also be selected. Hope this clears your confusion
7IwQaH

@abhimanyuk dude any reason u not yet posted ur review after shifting to new flat. waiting

Sent from my SM-N930F using Tapatalk

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back