Right distance values for speakers and subwoofers

What does "delay" mean here?
Does it mean you can hear the audio for a split second after you hit pause?
In any case I have posted something similar in some other threads as well.
1) forget phase, set all the speakers to actual distances, audyssey off, and then adjust the distance of subwoofer (using 2 channel mode with crossover of fronts off/ use them in full spectrum). Start with actual distance and then increase in small increments of maybe 0.2 feet and don't be shy to test distance of subwoofer at actuals plus 10 feet!
At the right distance setting all the bass possible solely from subwoofer will be coupled with bass from towers and you would feel the difference. Use a music track you are familiar with and which has different octaves of bass present.
Once this is done, you can be sure your sub is well integrated and you should not have any phase issues at crossover points or otherwise.
2) You can check the additional bass /lfe by running subwoofer without fronts ( wires disconnected, this will rule out phase issues at crossover points and tell you a lot more) and vice versa, that way you can measure and check the differences too.
3) audyssey can sometimes try and bump peaks too much causing the subwoofer to run too hot at certain frequencies (read more distortion).
4) first aim should be to have the best in room response curve by adjusting location of subwoofer, room treatments, sitting location adjustements. over compensating in eq should be avoided.
Eq'ing a sub to be +6 dbs at 60-70 hz as is in the case above means the subwoofer is using 4 times the power, which all things set aside means more distortion at those frequencies, this is especially true in a setup which runs at its limits and has less headroom.

Last edited:
What does "delay" mean here?
Does it mean you can hear the audio for a split second after you hit pause?
In any case I have posted something similar in some other threads as well.
1) forget phase, set all the speakers to actual distances, audyssey off, and then adjust the distance of subwoofer (using 2 channel mode with crossover of fronts off/ use them in full spectrum). Start with actual distance and then increase in small increments of maybe 0.2 feet and don't be shy to test distance of subwoofer at actuals plus 10 feet!
At the right distance setting all the bass possible solely from subwoofer will be coupled with bass from towers and you would feel the difference. Use a music track you are familiar with and which has different octaves of bass present.
Once this is done, you can be sure your sub is well integrated and you should not have any phase issues at crossover points or otherwise.
2) You can check the additional bass /lfe by running subwoofer without fronts ( wires disconnected, this will rule out phase issues at crossover points and tell you a lot more) and vice versa, that way you can measure and check the differences too.
3) audyssey can sometimes try and bump peaks too much causing the subwoofer to run too hot at certain frequencies (read more distortion).
4) first aim should be to have the best in room response curve by adjusting location of subwoofer, room treatments, sitting location adjustements. over compensating in eq should be avoided.
Eq'ing a sub to be +6 dbs at 60-70 hz as is in the case above means the subwoofer is using 4 times the power, which all things set aside means more distortion at those frequencies, this is especially true in a setup which runs at its limits and has less headroom.
Delay in audio from speakers. When I pause and resume a scene the audio Of speakers goes mute for a millisecond and sometimes it doesn’t. For example there is a plane crash in man of steel. When I pause at the exact moment the plane crashes and resume,the thumpy bass is present. So at the same time if I rewind for 10 seconds and play the Scene the thump is missing when the plane crashes. Like this many scenes I have noticed.

There are 3 things involved here,

First is the lip-sync issue which is not of much concern if you don't find it an issue (audio & video could be out of sync),

second is the possibility of sync/integration issue between the speakers & subs for which I suggest you once try the pointers I mentioned in previous post,

Lastly (this is where I bet the problem lies) this could also be the effect of a untreated room and bare walls and corners because of which a single blast of sound is felt but when there are lots of sound waves bouncing around in the room they are probably cancelling out each other and are not being felt or heard. Example when you yell or shout in a valley only the last of the syllable of a word echoes and rest of the word(s) are sort of cancelled out, I think you can imagine the parallel i am trying to draw here.
Solution room treatment in the form of bass traps, absorption and diffusion.

Last edited:
In scenes where there is a loss in bass if I pause at that exact scene and play there is a delay of Audio from speakers but not in subwoofer. So at that time the bass is there and it’s good. But if I play it normally that bass is lost so does this mean there is phase issues?

Phase issues, yes. Also, highly likely that it is between center and sub. You can use REW to confirm.

Adjusting subwoofer distance setting in your AVR is the solution. You can use REW to see the frequency response changes (center + sub) around the xover region as you make adjustments to the subwoofer distance setting.

There are 3 things involved here,

First is the lip-sync issue which is not of much concern if you don't find it an issue (audio & video could be out of sync),

second is the possibility of sync/integration issue between the speakers & subs for which I suggest you once try the pointers I mentioned in previous post,

Lastly (this is where I bet the problem lies) this could also be the effect of a untreated room and bare walls and corners because of which a single blast of sound is felt but when there are lots of sound waves bouncing around in the room they are probably cancelling out each other and are not being felt or heard. Example when you yell or shout in a valley only the last of the syllable of a word echoes and rest of the word(s) are sort of cancelled out, I think you can imagine the parallel i am trying to draw here.
Solution room treatment in the form of bass traps, absorption and diffusion.
I don’t have any lip sync or audio video sync issues. It’s perfectly fine.Room issue yeah definitely cause of no sound treatment
Phase issues, yes. Also, highly likely that it is between center and sub. You can use REW to confirm.

Adjusting subwoofer distance setting in your AVR is the solution. You can use REW to see the frequency response changes (center + sub) around the xover region as you make adjustments to the subwoofer distance setting.
Sure will try this. Also how about adjusting the distance of centre channel ?

To test phase issues between centre and sub, you can just demo with centre channel unplugged.
It is for this reason I suggested listen to sub alone, no other channel playing, use 2 channel mode with fronts disconnected, so u know how the sub alone is atleast performing and then u can build from there.
The probable issue here is room acoustics, you should try seeing the sound decay time (Waterfall & decay) in REW
I don’t have any lip sync or audio video sync issues. It’s perfectly fine.Room issue yeah definitely cause of no sound treatment

Sure will try this. Also how about adjusting the distance of centre channel ?

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back