Right distance values for speakers and subwoofers

All measurements using REW. Independently as in center alone and sub alone and then both together (bass management on).
Ok have to get the mike soon. It’s high time I run rew and check results. No matter how good the system is our attention just goes to the little imperfections we hear in the system hahaha.

For me, Audyssey gets the distances and levels spot-on.. Haven't faced any issues with multiple subs either.. The only values that i bump up slightly more are the sub values, post Audyssey calibration..
You mean on the back of the sub or in avr's subwoofer level?

Ok have to get the mike soon. It’s high time I run rew and check results. No matter how good the system is our attention just goes to the little imperfections we hear in the system hahaha.
Yeah, my most of the time is spent in finding imperfections rather than watching a movie in my setup. Is it some kind of disease?

Distance adjustment for the sub post Audyssey is usually done to improve the integration of the mains and the sub around the xover area.

For HT, here's what to do:

1. Measure center and sub independently.
2. Measure center and sub together (bass management on).
3. If you find that there is a dip in response in/around the xover region when center and sub are measured together as opposed to independently, then there are phase issues between them.
4. Increase the distance on the sub 1 ft at a time (up to 7 ft, IIRC) and measure the combined response. Set the distance of the sub to whichever response looks the best.

Enjoy!
Yes this is an important factor to be checked .
Even it can be done for all LCR to have a good sound stage.

So finally installed rew today. Can’t understand anything and not a lot of tutorials available on how to set it up correctly. So just went with the below settings which I am sure is wrong but any ways ran the measurements. The sweep signal noise is coming from LR and the sub. The first measurement is without audyssey and the second is with audyssey. I didn’t give any values but measuring from 0-200hz 1C12DA06-2BE5-43AA-BD99-2DC91E03EA72.jpegBD7FFABE-E937-4B0A-A0DF-12A348DEE830.jpegE7BFE6E7-A71F-43AA-AAD8-DF0323AE3C9B.jpeg31D6C9BA-4C56-4F95-95E3-D78B415C3CED.jpeg

I have a doubt, during my demo audition Paneer told me that audessey calibration won't set everything right and he also told me they calibrate the room setup when installation.

Since you got most of your purchases from him, he should have helped with the room treatment during installation!? Or you did all by yourself!?

Or you are experimenting positioning speakers at varied locations!? Just curious to know

Can’t understand anything and not a lot of tutorials available on how to set it up correctly.

The most comprehensive REW setup guide, IMO.

So finally installed rew today. Can’t understand anything and not a lot of tutorials available on how to set it up correctly. So just went with the below settings which I am sure is wrong but any ways ran the measurements. The sweep signal noise is coming from LR and the sub. The first measurement is without audyssey and the second is with audyssey. I didn’t give any values but measuring from 0-200hz

Welcome to the world of REW. Read up on it as much as you can. The more you read and explore the more fascinating this software will get. Being a minidsp user, I follow the minidsp guides, you could look for their rew guide for measurements in rew.

MaSh

I have a doubt, during my demo audition Paneer told me that audessey calibration won't set everything right and he also told me they calibrate the room setup when installation.

Since you got most of your purchases from him, he should have helped with the room treatment during installation!? Or you did all by yourself!?

Or you are experimenting positioning speakers at varied locations!? Just curious to know
Crossovers, speakers configuration alone it gives wrong values. Distance and volume levels are fine. After running audyssey you need to use your ears and adjust. Installation I did myself. He offered to help but I didn’t need his help

The most comprehensive REW setup guide, IMO.
Thanks will check this out
Welcome to the world of REW. Read up on it as much as you can. The more you read and explore the more fascinating this software will get. Being a minidsp user, I follow the minidsp guides, you could look for their rew guide for measurements in rew.

MaSh
I don’t have a mini dsp. I just want to take measurements and see how my room response is and would like to try different distance values and volume levels

I don’t have a mini dsp. I just want to take measurements and see how my room response is and would like to try different distance values and volume levels
For measuring you don't need minidsp. I meant that minidsp has a number of tutorials on how to use rew. Here is a good starter video on how to set it up.

MaSh

For measuring you don't need minidsp. I meant that minidsp has a number of tutorials on how to use rew. Here is a good starter video on how to set it up.

MaSh
Ok thanks will check it out

So even after following all the instructions step by step due to some issues ASIO4all aint working leaving me no choice to use only java and measure LR+sub. Biggest thanks to fm @rainbowsong2000 for lending the UMIK-1,a good tripod and also help setting rew. Only thing he didn't give me was a laptop.And also thanks to @RajithKumar and @elangoas . Seems like i have done the best configuration using my ears and audyssey after countless tests. The best graph i got was using the values that i set using audyssey and my ears. The violet graph is with the avr master volume set at -10db and the green is at -13 db since both -10 and -13 db is the most commonly used master volume depending on the volume of the content. Coming to the pure direct graph it is a disaster. With audyssey the result seems good and it is doing a good job.So the xtz 12.17 hits 18 hz at 89.1 dB nd from 18-45 hertz it seems smooth and gives a strong output. After 45hz it doesn't look smooth and has non-uniform peaks and dips. The sub volume knob is just few points above minimum and if i increase, 18 HZ hits even harder at higher decibels but sounds boomy while watching movies so keeping it to low level. Sacrificing some bass for over all smooth performance

Pure Direct.PNGWith Audyssey.PNG

So even after following all the instructions step by step due to some issues ASIO4all aint working leaving me no choice to use only java and measure LR+sub. Biggest thanks to fm @rainbowsong2000 for lending the UMIK-1,a good tripod and also help setting rew. Only thing he didn't give me was a laptop.And also thanks to @RajithKumar and @elangoas . Seems like i have done the best configuration using my ears and audyssey after countless tests. The best graph i got was using the values that i set using audyssey and my ears. The violet graph is with the avr master volume set at -10db and the green is at -13 db since both -10 and -13 db is the most commonly used master volume depending on the volume of the content. Coming to the pure direct graph it is a disaster. With audyssey the result seems good and it is doing a good job.So the xtz 12.17 hits 18 hz at 89.1 dB nd from 18-45 hertz it seems smooth and gives a strong output. After 45hz it doesn't look smooth and has non-uniform peaks and dips. The sub volume knob is just few points above minimum and if i increase, 18 HZ hits even harder at higher decibels but sounds boomy while watching movies so keeping it to low level. Sacrificing some bass for over all smooth performance

View attachment 47611View attachment 47612
You didn't:D ask me the laptop :)

In scenes where there is a loss in bass if I pause at that exact scene and play there is a delay of Audio from speakers but not in subwoofer. So at that time the bass is there and it’s good. But if I play it normally that bass is lost so does this mean there is phase issues?

In scenes where there is a loss in bass if I pause at that exact scene and play there is a delay of Audio from speakers but not in subwoofer. So at that time the bass is there and it’s good. But if I play it normally that bass is lost so does this mean there is phase issues?
Bump

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back