Right now I am listening to ...

They're a modern country / rock band. I've got three of their albums (lady antebullum, need you now, and own the night). Pretty much all their albums have those 1-2 hit songs that have done well for them and the others are very vanilla kind of modern country music. In saying that very good vocal and music abilities. To sum up, good music and band with a couple of hit songs on every album has made them popular

Thanks heaps Afj. Guess I will wait for their Greatest Hits then.

61TDbBVCmgL._SS500.jpg

Watching Daniel Barenboim videos on youtube. Good way to learn about structuring of music. melodies and harmonies and improvisations. Atonality is a deliberate thing too. I would always lose the plot and wonder why is For example a John Coltrane improvisation going on randomly blowing a million notes per second sometimes and they sound like noise to my ears. One of the other things I enjoyed understanding was building tension and releasing it in a piece of music. About how musicians lay a foundation in way of a melody or harmony and then meander into exploration/improvisation but sometimes to listeners it all makes sense when this exploration or improvisation reaches a full circle and connects back with the foundation laid at the start. For beginners like me its a good way to understand and enjoy and appreciate music. Any comments or further sugestions along these lines from fellow members?

As a reviewer put it, one of the great things that the Cold War did for jazz - the VOA recording of a Carnegie Hall concert of John Coltrane and the Thelonious Monk quartet -drummer Shadow Wilson and bassist Abdul Mallick. The telepathic understanding between the cats is at the level attained by the trio of Bill Evans , Scott La Farro and Motian for their Live at the Village Vanguard. The recording which had been put unaired in cold storage in the VOA archives before their fortuitous discovery and subsequent digitisation is top notch. It’s the sonic equivalent of finding a Da Vinci original stashed away in someone’s attic. The only difference is that the painting would have been sold for zillions of dollars in some auction to be stashed away once again in some rich guy’s fault.
I am glad I am into music because the wonders of digital reproduction makes such absolute gems available to all of us.
Review here ..
https://www.allmusic.com/album/at-carnegie-hall-mw0000169974

Watching Daniel Barenboim videos on youtube. Good way to learn about structuring of music. melodies and harmonies and improvisations. Atonality is a deliberate thing too. I would always lose the plot and wonder why is For example a John Coltrane improvisation going on randomly blowing a million notes per second sometimes and they sound like noise to my ears. One of the other things I enjoyed understanding was building tension and releasing it in a piece of music. About how musicians lay a foundation in way of a melody or harmony and then meander into exploration/improvisation but sometimes to listeners it all makes sense when this exploration or improvisation reaches a full circle and connects back with the foundation laid at the start. For beginners like me its a good way to understand and enjoy and appreciate music. Any comments or further sugestions along these lines from fellow members?
That’s a great post. I have educated my self into appreciating jazz by reading and listening. The more one listens , say to the almost infinite renditions of a Round Midnight the more one is cued in on where the music is coming from and going.
In My Favourite Things Coltrane’s sax chews the melody and takes it to very dark places before one again bringing it out in the sun and the meadows and the daisies.
Kurt Elling puts words ( vocalese) on Coltrane’s Pursuance from A Love Supreme that morphs this immortal piece into something like his own personal invocation to a pantheon of deities.
Another example- St Thomas ( a George and Ira Gershwin composition ) in Saxophone Collosus sounds quite tame and sanitised compared to the jagged live b/w version by Rollins that’s commonly available on YouTube.
There are other more contemporary versions of it by say Joshua Redman ( one which begins with very long vamp) and which includes other cats like Brad Melihu besides those by Michel Petruciani , Branford Marsalis etc.
That’s why I feel when going to a jazz concert it would be a good idea to have some acquaintance with the repertoire that would be laid out so that one would have done the homework to enhance ones appreciation and enjoyment. But some would say that would be too much like attending a classical concert.
Because the beauty of jazz is in the improvisation and the hide and seek that the cat plays with you.

Last edited:
That’s a great post. I have educated my self into appreciating jazz by reading and listening. The more one listens , say to the almost infinite renditions of a Round Midnight the more one is cued in on where the music is coming from and going.
In My Favourite Things Coltrane’s sax chews the melody and takes it to very dark places before one again bringing it out in the sun and the meadows and the daisies.
Kurt Elling puts words ( vocalese) on Coltrane’s Pursuance from A Love Supreme that morphs this immortal piece into something like his own personal invocation to a pantheon of deities.
Another example- St Thomas ( a George and Ira Gershwin composition ) in Saxophone Collosus sounds quite tame and sanitised compared to the jagged live b/w version by Rollins that’s commonly available on YouTube.
There are other more contemporary versions of it by say Joshua Redman ( one which begins with very long vamp) and which includes other cats like Brad Melihu besides those by Michel Petruciani , Branford Marsalis etc.
That’s why I feel when going to a jazz concert it would be a good idea to have some acquaintance with the repertoire that would be laid out so that one would have done the homework to enhance ones appreciation and enjoyment. But some would say that would be too much like attending a classical concert.
Because the beauty of jazz is in the improvisation and the hide and seek that the cat plays with you.

Thanks Moktan for sharing your thoughts. I didn't know round midnight has been covered by so many musicians. Have been checking them out with a keener ear now besides the other mentions made by you.
Sometimes when I find the jazz greats a bit much to handle, i look for more fusion/ambient jazz and the kind. If you would like, check out this Icelandic band called ADHD and their KEXP Set. i have been hooked. Another person i found easy to listen to is a guy by the name of Alfa Mist and his album Antiphon.
Thanks

Don't know being ignorant is good thing or bad specially for music. I listen to what my ears like. I stumbled upon Alice Coaltran browsing for new music. I didn't even knew she made music. before she moved on to spiritual music I guess this was some fusion music if you think she was affected by spirituality and it came in to her music.
Hope you like this.

Honestly and personally Fusion is very complex music for me. Foot tapping swinging jazz.... me likey. :)

Spinning this CD of Yundi Li playing Chopin's Scherzi & Impromptus. Very dynamic and lively interpretation.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back