Right now I am listening to ...

Gauthamante-Radham-Malayalam-2020-20200303120126-500x500.jpg

Ud Chala from Gauthamante Radham

Raga Shree - Manju Mehta (Sitar)

Professional female instrumentalists are rare in 'Hindustani Classical Music. There were Annapurna Devi, Jaya Bose and Sharan Rani only that one remembers - so this album is kind of rare-from sitarist Manju Mehta. She is the sister of Vishwa Mohan Bhatt, disciple of Damodarlal Kabra and Ravi Shankar, and runs the famed Saptak school and music festival.

Here, she performs the early evening Raga Shree, a serious, but radiant introspective Raga. There’s enough gayaki ang in her playing giving it a lyrical effect. Her playing is never extravagant, but adequately ornamented to keep it interesting.

84BEB2AF-0DED-46DE-8EAE-9A44EBE8CDCC.jpeg

Yes, female instrumentalists are less in number. I can name another female instrumentalist. She is none other than Zarin Daruwala who used to play sarod. In this cd one can listen to two lesser known Raga, namely Raga Janasanmohini and Raga Ragsagar. Both the Ragas are nice and the recital is impeccable.

Attachments

• IMG-20201009-WA0049.jpg
    IMG-20201009-WA0049.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 2
Another favourite of mine.
View attachment 50693

Thanks Dev. I see there are quite a few female violinists in Carnatic classical (just like in western classical). N. Rajam is perhaps the only one in Hindustani classical. She being in the same town (Thane), have had opportunity to listen to her a few times.

Do listen to Jaya Bose (Biswas) - a disciple of Ravi Shankar from the 60s. Her playing is quite exquisite too.

Yes, female instrumentalists are less in number. I can name another female instrumentalist. She is none other than Zarin Daruwala who used to play sarod. In this cd one can listen to two lesser known Raga, namely Raga Janasanmohini and Raga Ragsagar. Both the Ragas are nice and the recital is impeccable.haskar
Bhaskar, thanks for introducing to Zarin ji. I listened to her performance (Raga Abhogi) today afternoon... which is quite a common raga. I couldn't find any recordings in esoteric ragas - need to look up Youtube.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back