Right now I am listening to ...

Dawn & Dusk - by Singh Bandhu

FD6488B4-F458-4AAC-B81C-BBFB11D7BF4E.jpeg

This is a promising Jugalbandi performance by the less known but highly virtuous brothers, Singh Bandhu... who were the disciples of Ustad Amir Khan of Indore Gharana. They sing Ragas Nat Bhairav and Kalavati - morning and night ragas respectively. I was listening to the former today morning (and followed it by an Ahir Bhairav by Ustad ji himself). Expect the calm, understated singing style of the gharana, which works well with the devotional and compassionate mood of Nat Bhairav. They fuse and contrast pretty well together and the recording shows how the relatively less known artists of yesteryear are comparable to (in some cases even better than) the best of today‘s generation.

5692FFF7-BCBB-44DD-B573-F8A744780DD4.jpeg

It was a nice little discovery for me to find this duo. And then I read up more on them in The Hindu archives. Nice contrasting personalities and all. But will spare you the details. You can enjoy the recording on YouTube here:

His voice was incomparable.
Not only his voice but also his nice character is something which makes him respected. I read somewhere that once in a show he found that his name was written at the top and then the name of another legend K Yesudas on a piece of a paper. After having seen it he cut his Name and rewrite it below the name of that legend whom I mention saying k. Yesudas was the best of all. Such was his sense of proportion. IMO his sweet voice alone does not make him what he is rather his strong ethics and moral sense grinds into his adorable nature.
Regards

Back