RoarR210 connectivity issue

RMCWS

I am unable to connect my Sonodyne roarr210 subwoofer with my Yamaha 373.

The SW came with 2 RCA cable, one for left and other for right. However, the avr has just 1 point for subwoofer.

How do I connect it? Do I need another RCA cable with 2 jacks at one end and only a single jack at the other for the AVR?

Please advice.

Congrats on your new buy.

Yes you can connect your AVR to either of the sub's input. Two inputs may be needed only for stereo setup. Or you could get a Y splitter cable (1 RCA male -> 2 RCA male) but that does not solve any purpose except adding a slight gain.

Congrats on your new buy.

Thank you Santy.

By the way, the problem is still continuing.

The sub is set in the following way:

Level is slightly above min
Phase is at 0 degree
Frequency is at around 100
Both left and right RCA cable is attached (but only the left/black RCA jack is connected in the AVR)
Power is on (blue light is on)

The RCA left/ black chord has been connected with the AVR Yamaha 373.

In the AVR, under speakers> configuration> subwoofer has been set to 'use'.
Crossover is set at 80Hz
Subwoofer phase is normal
Extra bass is ON.

But when I am applying the 'test tone' on the avr, no sound is coming from the Sub. Even under speakers> configuration> equalizer> I am not getting any option for equalizer for the sub.

Where I am going wrong?

Well first of all congrats on your buy.

Please turn on the level at least halfway. The frequency can be turned full as the bass management will be done by the receiver. Connect only one rca to the receiver and disconnect the other. In the speaker setup set the sub as on and then try to get it going. If the components are fine then your sub should be singing. Further also get the source setup correct or there will be no sound from the sub.

You can increase to 50 - 75% and check. The test tones are usually feeble on the LFE channel. Did you play a movie and check?

Well first of all congrats on your buy.

Please turn on the level at least halfway. The frequency can be turned full as the bass management will be done by the receiver. Connect only one rca to the receiver and disconnect the other. In the speaker setup set the sub as on and then try to get it going. If the components are fine then your sub should be singing. Further also get the source setup correct or there will be no sound from the sub.

Thanks guys for your help. Now I can 'feel' the bass so does my windows. :yahoo:

Now the level of sw is around 75%
And frequency is 150.

I have tried mp3, acd and a bluray. Guess I will need some time to play with the settings.

Thanks guys for your help. Now I can 'feel' the bass so does my windows. :yahoo:

Now the level of sw is around 75%
And frequency is 150.

I have tried mp3, acd and a bluray. Guess I will need some time to play with the settings.

Congrats for your new buy. Wait for the burning out time, thunder would be more. How much did you pay this year. I bought mine last year.

They delivered it today, bless them! :D
Now I am fiddling with the settings to get the proper bass response. I have connected the sub to the Sia 320 amp, and not yet to my Yamaha AVR. Unlike the AVR will the amplifier handle the low frequencies? Where should I set the frequency cap on the Sub?

They delivered it today, bless them! :D
Now I am fiddling with the settings to get the proper bass response. I have connected the sub to the Sia 320 amp, and not yet to my Yamaha AVR. Unlike the AVR will the amplifier handle the low frequencies? Where should I set the frequency cap on the Sub?

A full range signal will be sent to sub-woofer... Behind the sub-woofer, there would be 2 knobs... One for freq response & one for volume adjustment....

One the freq knob, set it depending on your BS speakers response....

Thanks elango. I have had to reverse the phase to get better bass response, the frequency response knob is set to approximately 100 Hz, and level is at around 70%. It is not yet performing to my expectation, sounds boomy rather than punchy, and there is little definition in the sound. There is most certainly more 'oomph' to the music but I want it to be more rhythmic which is not yet the case.
I have placed the sub on the spikes supplied, perhaps the sub is faltering because of its positioning, the condition of my room is such that I can not place it in a corner. It is at a distance of about 4 inches from the back wall, and 3' from the side wall. That is where it has to be for the time being at least.

Sub is very sensitive to room dimensions and positioning. AFAIK, entry level subs rely on room gain to a good extent for their performance and they go adequately loud when placed in the corners. However definition or pace does not improve (they may become worse rather). The blending with main speakers also may be lost when they are placed in the corners and the boominess that you are already experiencing might increase as well. So keeping the sub away from corner is not a bad idea in many situations.

Keep looking for a better position. May be the sub-crawl method can be tried. Move it slightly away from the back wall- atleast 10 inches and check.

Try to reduce the crossover to 80hz and see. Run YPAO on your AVR and see if it evens out the frequency response by any chance. If nothing helps, may be you need some bass traps to tame the standing waves. If you have run out of experiments and still not happy then probably you have already graduated to the next orbit in perceiving bass quality and you might have to look for a better sub.:rolleyes: Remember, tight and punchy bass comes at a cost and sealed subs do it better but at the cost of bottom end.

Last edited:
Santy don't tell me I have graduated, I wish I have not!
I will try what you say and hope that I remain happy with it. I have a feeling if I run YPAO then the quality for movies will get much better, but as far as music listening with the amplifier goes....I am quite fearful for it.

Update: The power cord for the amplifier was missing from the box, even though the packing list had a 'check' next to the power cord. I plugged the sub initially with one of those desktop CPU power cables, the recent el cheapo ones, the kind that you get these days when you are assembling a moderate quality desktop, barely acceptable, or perhaps not.
Later I found an older cable from the early 2000 (Probably from 2002), this is a heavy duty one, gives you that familiar feeling when you hold something of quality in hand. I decided to swap the cables, the change?
Lets just say I will not have to change the sub now, it is a lot less boomy, much much punchier, the timing is precise now and music is so much more enjoyable. Very close to what I imagined, I am assuming given more time it will improve further as it runs in a bit more.

I was surprised to see the difference, what a discovery!

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back