Role of USB DAC while playing audio via youtube and FM

sudhirbhosale

Hi all
Hi all
USB DAC bypass low price onboard DAC of mobile or Laptop. It convert 001 audio from mp3/flac into analogue.
How this function would work in below two scenarios?
1. When we play youtube audio, what would be role of DAC. would it do same function as audio is part of video file not dedicate format like mp3/flac.
2. When we play FM radio: what would be role of DAC as there is no source audio file at all.
The reason I am asking this: I am planning to buy DAC to listen audio from youtube sources as people posted rare tracks there.

Thanks

Youtube uses highly compressed tracks, no High resolution tracks at all. So USB DAC, even though it will bypass inbuilt DAC, may not improve performance at all. If you have FLAC/320kbps MP3 then it may help.

2nd pint I am not clear. Where will you play the FM, online radio on PC? Same logic applies to that also.

Youtube uses highly compressed tracks, no High resolution tracks at all. So USB DAC, even though it will bypass inbuilt DAC, may not improve performance at all. If you have FLAC/320kbps MP3 then it may help.

2nd pint I am not clear. Where will you play the FM, online radio on PC? Same logic applies to that also.

Thanks ... FM I meant while playing FM from mobile and mobile is connected via USB DAC

2. When we play FM radio: what would be role of DAC as there is no source audio file at all.
Asked and answered. *Digital* audio source files need a digital-analog converter. FM is an analog source requiring no conversion. A dac has no benefit to offer in this regard.

Thanks again. Then how about streaming online music i.e. songs from Gana.com?
Online streaming usually has upto 320 kbps quality in the pro versions. So you can expect some difference. Can you share your existing setup and chain of equipment? What is your amp and speakers?

Anything that you play on any medium apart from an old Gramaphone or LP record needs a DAC (Digital-Analog Converter). Mobile is a digital device, hence anything played on it locally or streamed is digital, hence a DAC is needed to convert that to Analog.

MaSh

Playing using iTunes (Apple music) uses AAC format, does DAC really helps? Chain would be : PC (THX Studio Pro inbuilt on mobo providing excellent audio for stereo and surround) to Amp (using 3.5mm to 2 RCA cable) and then amp feeding signal to speakers.
Other connectivity is PC 's optical/USB to DAC then DAC's (even if not using renowned chips like Burr brown or Wolfson, using like FiiO D03k) line out to Amp RCA's and then amp to speakers :) experts advice would be appreciated!

Playing using iTunes (Apple music) uses AAC format, does DAC really helps? Chain would be : PC (THX Studio Pro inbuilt on mobo providing excellent audio for stereo and surround) to Amp (using 3.5mm to 2 RCA cable) and then amp feeding signal to speakers.
Other connectivity is PC 's optical/USB to DAC then DAC's (even if not using renowned chips like Burr brown or Wolfson, using like FiiO D03k) line out to Amp RCA's and then amp to speakers :) experts advice would be appreciated!

No Expert, but would put in a view.

PC (THX Studio Pro inbuilt on mobo providing excellent audio for stereo and surround) to Amp (using 3.5mm to 2 RCA cable) and then amp feeding signal to speakers.

The DAC here is the PC's onboard DAC feeding to the analog 3.5mm headphone out. If you like the sound it makes, then great. Why change?

Other connectivity is PC 's optical/USB to DAC then DAC's (even if not using renowned chips like Burr brown or Wolfson, using like FiiO D03k) line out to Amp RCA's and then amp to speakers
In this case something better than the D03K would be a better option. Something as simple as an E10k might sound better I feel. Personally I would go the Optical route just to avoid any USB noise, Drivers, etc issues.

MaSh

E10k might sound better
Thank you for your inputs MaSh but E10k is an headphone amp and has no RCA out and Optical in and therefore can't be connected with an amp for desktop stereo use, please correct me if i'm wrong.

Thank you for your inputs MaSh but E10k is an headphone amp and has no RCA out and Optical in and therefore can't be connected with an amp for desktop stereo use, please correct me if i'm wrong.

Well it is a simple USB DAC with a Line Out and a Coaxial Out. You are correct, no Optical IN. You can connect the DAC to a PC's USB port and then use the Line Out via a '3.5mm stereo to RCA' cable to connect it to your Amp. You could also use the Coaxial Out to connect to your Amp. However, I guess with Coaxial, the DAC in your Amp would be used. Fiio will act as a Pre Amp only. Maybe someone who has this can confirm. BTW, I mentioned this DAC only as an example. I used an SMSL Sanskrit for quite a while which had USB, Optical and Coaxial inputs, although it was only a DAC, no Amp in it.

MaSh

Ipod prices came down (much less than 10K), it has good DAC inbuilt + Player + Storage. So instead of going for separate DAC, why not buy Ipod?
only shortfall - No optical and SPDIF input in case I need to use DAC for CD player to use my analogue collection.

Ipod prices came down (much less than 10K), it has good DAC inbuilt + Player + Storage. So instead of going for separate DAC, why not buy Ipod?
only shortfall - No optical and SPDIF input in case I need to use DAC for CD player to use my analogue collection.
Any iPod version support apple music?

Not very sure. Yesterday when I share my plan of buying DAC then he suggested this option. I liked and posted here for views. Not verified other aspects.
It's the iPod touch and you have to shell out 15k + for that if one want apple music. The same can be done using an iPhone / iPad if you have one. A used one can be a good choice too.

Thanks again. Then how about streaming online music i.e. songs from Gana.com?

Gana.com et all work off the internet i.e. digital.
FM is transmitted over airwaves i.e. analog.
A digital source requires conversion to analog, ergo the use of a dac.
Analog sources require no such conversion.

Anything that you play on any medium apart from an old Gramaphone or LP record needs a DAC (Digital-Analog Converter). Mobile is a digital device, hence anything played on it locally or streamed is digital, hence a DAC is needed to convert that to Analog.

MaSh
You mean if FM played on mobile then DAC would come in picture. If yes then conflicting with z@m's view.
MaSh and z@m:
your opinion is based on interpretation or you studied circuit flow of mobile DAC?
Thanks

I think what MaSh meant was that anything digital on mobile device is converted via its internal DAC to analog but this does not include the local FM transmission which does not fall in that category. FM is more like a signal and a chip on the mobile captures and plays back but there is digital FM channels as well especially in Europe and US where you need a special Digital antenna to get these signals and I am not sure if that does any digital to analog conversion. I think the best digital FM transmission was the "WorldSpace" radio which was prevalent in India some years back.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back