room setup HT

girl21

Friends,

any tips on room setup:

some points which came to my mind are:
-Wooden floor
-Wallpapers
-Air conditioner -> this is important...am i right???
-closed room

any more more points

Last edited:
Friends,

any tips on room setup:

some points which to my mind are:
-Wooden floor
-Wallpapers
-closed room

any more more points

First question is whether you have a dedicated room ?

wooden floor - i had this before but once i changed it to carpetting the sound improved.

wallpapers - you can do a layer of glasswool like vinay has done to improve acoustics.

air conditioner - a must if you have a projector to maintain a dust free environment

no i am planning in my living room.......

First question is whether you have a dedicated room ?

wooden floor - i had this before but once i changed it to carpetting the sound improved.

wallpapers - you can do a layer of glasswool like vinay has done to improve acoustics.

air conditioner - a must if you have a projector to maintain a dust free environment

no i am planning in my living room.......

Make sure the room is not square (15' x 15' etc) and also that one side is not a perfect multiple of the other (10' x 20' etc). This will cause echo, reverberation, standing waves etc which is decrease the sound quality.

Have thick drapes on any windows - both to control light and also to prevent reflection of sound from glass panes.

Wooden floor is better, but I wouldn't change the flooring just for a HT setup. You can make do with the marble tiles or whatever flooring you have now. To improve sound, you can throw a rug over the reflection points (search for Venkat's excellent post on how locate sound reflection points).

Acoustic wall paper is expensive. Plain wall is not too bad. If you are not satisfied with the sound, then you can get some wall hangings or cover the reflective points on the wall with some wall decorations to minimize reflections.

Same goes for ceiling also. Basically you can decide on wall paper, carpet, ceiling etc after setting up the HT system and listening to it for a couple of weeks.

AC is preferred, especially if you live in a hot & humid area like me.

Cheers.
Teja

Hi Buddy
Hope I can throw in some inputs. My HT setup has started 2 days back.
Some of the things in the design are:
1) AC - Split AC
2) Flooring - Anything would do. You would have to experiment with rugs to see if you are not dampening the sound too less or too much
3) Walls- For aesthetics I think you should go in for plain walls with heavy curtains. I am planning to have 2 sets of curtains. 1 is light colored and will be in the foreground (to let the light thru) and the back one will be a black one on a slide rail (to cut the light)
4) I am planning to have the satellites in-walled and hang some paintings (obviously acoustically transparent) over it (tho I am still struggling at it).
5) I am getting a low height entertainment center built which will house my DVDs, AVR, settop, worldspace and DVD player. The electronics section will have low noise fans attached at the back of the cabinet (since it is closed from the front).
6) Concealed wiring.

Regards
Raman

Hi Buddy
Hope I can throw in some inputs. My HT setup has started 2 days back.
Some of the things in the design are:
1) AC - Split AC
2) Flooring - Anything would do. You would have to experiment with rugs to see if you are not dampening the sound too less or too much
3) Walls- For aesthetics I think you should go in for plain walls with heavy curtains. I am planning to have 2 sets of curtains. 1 is light colored and will be in the foreground (to let the light thru) and the back one will be a black one on a slide rail (to cut the light)
4) I am planning to have the satellites in-walled and hang some paintings (obviously acoustically transparent) over it (tho I am still struggling at it).
5) I am getting a low height entertainment center built which will house my DVDs, AVR, settop, worldspace and DVD player. The electronics section will have low noise fans attached at the back of the cabinet (since it is closed from the front).
6) Concealed wiring.

Regards
Raman

check this out. you might like the services being offered by a fellow member :: HKMT's::, http://www.hifivision.com/members/hkmt-acoustic-designs.html

Friends,

any tips on room setup:

some points which came to my mind are:
-Wooden floor
-Wallpapers
-closed room

any more more points

cozy and comfortable seating for long viewing is the most imp. if your are at ease the ht will look, sound and feel good ;)

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back