Rotel RA04SE and Jamo Concert

unready

Hi guys, first time posting after hours of lurking.

I'm new to the hifi world and am looking to buy my first system. I have my eyes on Rotel 04se or ra11 paired with Jamo 603 bookshelves which i later plan to upgrade with 607. For now, I plan to hook the sytem to my computer and will later add a cd player. I mostly listen to jazz, funk, hip hop, blues and folk music. Do you think these components are a good match? They are available locally (but not at the same vendor so audition is not possible) plus I really like the minimalist aesthetics of rotel and the overall nice looks of Jamos.

Any input is much appreciated!

hifi newb

going by specs alone - i doubt the rotels you mentioned would be suitable for the c607 - upgrade.

why dont you look at buying speakers and amp from the same dealer so that way you can get a better deal too and audition as well.

we dont know your room size but have you considered powered speakers ? Audioengine or Swans perhaps ?

If your budget ( i assume ) is about euro 1000 - you could yourself some nice powered speakers.

good luck !

Thanks for your reply mpw!

My room size is about 20 square meters. I was looking at the audioengine A5+ at the very start and almost bought them, but then I kinda decided I want some room for upgrade and to go with the traditional amp+speakers system. Regarding the Rotels, I read in many reviews that they pack considerably more power than specified and should be capable of driving these Jamos. But then again, I am very inexperienced in this area, but at the same time very excited to enter the hifi world - time to do more research!

Yes, as you guessed my budget for this initial purchase is around 800-1000 euro.

do keep in mind that ultimately you should get what you pay for and i am unsure that 40W is enough to drive floorstanders...after all the power supply is one of the most critical thing in an amplifier design.

I would suggest the Audioengine A5+ and the audioengine subwoofer to go with it. That should take care of 200 sq ft quite handily.

Or maybe something equivalent available in your area.

Or the rotel + Jamo standmount if you like + stands and add a subwoofer ( sealed unit ) later with the pre-out from the Rotel ( check if possible )

I would also suggest to focus your search in a manner to meet your long term goals and sometimes we tend to buy things for the present and find that the component bought is not capable of supporting the upgrade.

Maybe you can look at pre-owned stuff also and get more value that way though i am un-aware of what the market in Slovenia is like.

Orcourse - preferably - try before you buy and YMMV..

regards

Or adding power amp later may help.Extra power handles speakers well and sounds better.

Guys please don't consider wattage alone. I use a Rotel RA 10 at 40-45 watts to drive floor standers from Monitor Audio. My peak volume is about 9 o clock. At 11 o clock it will shake the windows.The amp drives 6 ohm speakers without breaking a sweat.

The M4 is 91dB sensitive and has 2 midbass drivers..

The Jamo c607 has 4 drivers and is 89 dB sensitive ( for starters )

The 2 dB less in sensitivity is significant.

But yes - the OT must audition and buy.

This is as per published tech spec alone..

Very helpful insights, guys. Thanks again.
I'm now looking to replace Rotel with something like Onkyo A-9030... Using a power amp later also seems promising...

Yes as mentioned by mpw please audition before buying there could be significant differences between specs on paper and real world listening

I love the Jamo sound and have heard the C607 extensively. Loved it too. Have not heard the bookshelf, but my thinking is why not save up and go for the C607 unless the plan is to expand to a home theater later on in which case you will be looking at an AVR upgrade too.

Audition both the bookshelf and the C607 see how much of an upgrade it really is. FWIW C607 would be my choice.

Oooo Jamo - I've been wanting 909's for a while.
I heard the 830/870 driven by a local seller and he was running them on some vintage amp (think it was a kenwood kr9600) and they just sounded awful, like $20 Chinese speakers.
I think 607 may also be picky.
But pre/power combo's work better as well as the ability to run an eq in the middle if needed.
My experience with rotel is limited, though I did like the RSP1066 I had. Most rotel amps and receivers just sound muddy and imprecise to me. Power they have, just no precision.
Carver TFM is a good candidate, carver C1, C2 as well, NAD1155, proceed amp 2 etc etc.
Lots of options, you may need to audition them a good bit to be sure.

Cool.
Srinath.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back