Rotels driving Dynaudio?

rise

Hi,

In my continuing quest to find suitable amplification for Dynaudio Audience speakers I was recommended to check out the Rotel 1572 and 1550 together.

Has anyone heard Rotel's combined with Dynaudio, particularly these two models? In my experience thus far I have never heard a Class D amp that I found particularly impressive. Is this different with the Rotels?

Will this combo be a class apart from a Emotiva combo UMC 1 with 5 channel power AMP.

My front speakers audience 82 require 300 watts per channel @ 8 ohm and the rears need 150 @ 4 ohm

In such a scenario is it better to power amp all 5 speakers or better to drive the fronts off a 2 channel poweramp and let the rears run off the receiver?

Which would you recommend? Open to other suggestions too. Any views on a similar parasound? Looking to spend around 2 lacs so would like your opinion on the best option in that budget.

Thanks

I know couple of folks who used different dynaudio speakers for some time. I have followed their many escapades with Rotel amplifiers.

Dynaudio with Rotel is a strict no ! I have also heard their new class D amp. Terrible!

My friends had very good results with the plinius line of amps. Try and get a plinius integrated if you can.

Hi Sqaure_Wave

Thanks for the post. What sort of issues did they face? I have a 5 channel system and Dont believe that plinius makes a 5 channel integrated amp. The combination of a Plinius Odeon with an M8 would cost upwards of 10 lacs and therefore would be above my budget.

Are there any less expensive amps you could suggest?

I had tried my (formed) Dynaudio Audience 52s with a couple of Rotel amps. An RA-06 and a pre-power combo. In both cases, the sound was a bit bright and grating. Have never tried the AVRs so cant comment on those.

Last edited:
There's serious lack of refinement in the rotel range. It is something I'd never consider pairing with dyns. As someone mentioned, dyns pair particularly well with plinius.

Parasound might also be decent. They are much smoother sounding than rotels.

Hi Sqaure_Wave

Thanks for the post. What sort of issues did they face? I have a 5 channel system and Dont believe that plinius makes a 5 channel integrated amp. The combination of a Plinius Odeon with an M8 would cost upwards of 10 lacs and therefore would be above my budget.

Are there any less expensive amps you could suggest?

Alright...for a 5 channel system, try a Marantz or Arcam 5 channel reciever.

You plan to drive an Audience 82 with a 5 channel AVR ????

Please try to get a simple Odyssey power amp or something like a Yamaha AS-2000 for the fronts if you want to do any music listening.

Or if it has to be an AVR then get a Primare. I dont know why but their AVR sounds lot warmer than their integrated amps.

No Plinius integrated can drive a A82.

I would not recommend Rotels with Dynaudio. The result will be too bright of a sound and you will be changing the components relatively soon. Emotiva is equally bright for music and is not a good match.

Not sure what your budget and musical tastes are but as a generic matching option you can consider Naim, Parasound, Musical Fidelity, Pass Labs, Luxman as some choices.

Parasound will be the most economical in that list.

That's what I figured but if you are comparing costs then the only other 5 channel amps I can think of are Marantz and NAD.

IN the sub $1000 category which is the warmest?
Marantz 7055
Nad 955
Emotiva XPA 5

Thank you for all the posts. I believe our passion makes this an amazing forum!

Here is what I have learnt so far in this journey

1. Marantz. Tried a top of the AVR 7006. Sounded really bad, no pressure at low levels and distortion once volume increased

2. Plinius sounds heavenly but will break the bank. 10 lacs or so for 5 channel amplification!

3. Primare, A bit colder and dryer. Currently using a SPA 22 on demo. However it has many usability issues. Remote works only when it wants to. HDMI faulty and often goes into a endless warming up mode. Also on a few occassions it did not work at all and only gave bass output...Scary If I owned luckily I dont

4. NAD. The one i tried lacked musicality when compared to marantz

5. Musical Fideliity a6. Rocked. We bought it for a friend who need 2.1. RUNS so hot it will actually burn you

6. CAmbridge By far the best bang for your buck I have seen for these speakers. Mine burnt out

Seems to me that within the 2 lac budget my only options will be to buy used or to pick up a emotive 5 channel AMP (XPA-5) with a warm sounding processor. Any recommendations for the proccessor? I have read that it is generally the processor that colors the sound and not the AMP. Is this true? IF you have something for sale please PM me or put it on the thread. Also please give me some details on Odyssey and others described in the forum.

Thanks

1. Marantz. Tried a top of the AVR 7006. Sounded really bad,
6. CAmbridge By far the best bang for your buck I have seen for these speakers. Mine burnt out

Seems to me that within the 2 lac budget my only options will be to buy used or to pick up a emotive 5 channel AMP (XPA-5) with a warm sounding processor. Any recommendations for the proccessor?

Marantz 7055
Nad 955

Rise what about the Marantz and NAD power amps listed above coupled to a Marantz 6006 or similar processor?

Of this lot which would be the most economical option? Parasound? What about Bryston?

Economical is a relative term as you have to consider the total cost of ownership. Anyways, from a price point, the Parasound Halo and Bryston SSt model (older ones are comparable). Sound wise the Halo would be warmer.

Thank you for all the posts. I believe our passion makes this an amazing forum!

Here is what I have learnt so far in this journey

1. Marantz. Tried a top of the AVR 7006. Sounded really bad, no pressure at low levels and distortion once volume increased

2. Plinius sounds heavenly but will break the bank. 10 lacs or so for 5 channel amplification!

3. Primare, A bit colder and dryer. Currently using a SPA 22 on demo. However it has many usability issues. Remote works only when it wants to. HDMI faulty and often goes into a endless warming up mode. Also on a few occassions it did not work at all and only gave bass output...Scary If I owned luckily I dont

5. Musical Fideliity a6. Rocked. We bought it for a friend who need 2.1. RUNS so hot it will actually burn you

Seems to me that within the 2 lac budget my only options will be to buy used or to pick up a emotive 5 channel AMP (XPA-5) with a warm sounding processor. Any recommendations for the proccessor? I have read that it is generally the processor that colors the sound and not the AMP. Is this true? IF you have something for sale please PM me or put it on the thread. Also please give me some details on Odyssey and others described in the forum.

Thanks

This is one of the very good reasons that a lot of people recommend auditions esp. when you are plopping a lot of moolah. Nothing beats one's own experience as much as people give recommendations. However, I am a bit surprised with some of your findings.

1. No AVR can drive Dynaudios - so we will safely skip this
2. Plinius is a keeper esp. if you have very good source and setup. But I do understand its beyond a lot of users budget.
3. Not sure which mode you tried but Primare is generally associated with good quality. Also, whats the deal with HDMI switching? Is it an AVR or a power amp you are using? A firmware update usually fixes handshaking issues as these occur due to HDCP authentication. You can try using a HDMI switch as this is the cheapest option to fix it. Another thing to keep in mind is the sequence of system start up. Also disable any "additional" HDMI integration options (called Anynet+) in Samsung jargon. This ensures the AVR or processor switches to a different implementation.

4. This is what confuses me the most. You mention Marantz is bad and then say NAD sounds bad compared to Marantz. Why would you do that? I dont believe you are doing a right comparison. Anyway, lets move on.
5. Are you referring to a MF M6? I dont recall seeing a model called A6. Also they run quite cold even if driven hard. I currently have an integrated that sees almost daily usage and its pretty cool even after couple of hours of rock/roll or blues.
6. Why do you call CA best bang for the buck if it burnt out?

Finally, power amps do have an influence on the sound (check the forums as this has been discussed quite extensively before). You are running a risk if you knowingly go for an amp that is bright. On the other hand if its for watching movies then its a very good purchase.

I don't mean to criticise in my post that that reading it made me very confused in some parts. So pardon if it does not sound right to you.

Hi

I have a Dynaudio Focus 220 speakers and was suggested to go for an Arcam AVR 600 for the same which is their latest model..

Regards

Arvind

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back