RPi 4B and DAC Hat

Is anybody interested in buying allo digione player in alluminium case? If so please reply. Please note it is a month older in top notch condition and sounds fantastic.

Nice to hear about Allo's amps here...how is it differ between Volt+ and Volt+D sound wise? What are the speakers hooked into?
Volt+ is plug and play type and Volt+D is stand alone product.. Volt+D comes with Stepped Attenuator for volume control.. Input for Volt+D comes with RCA and output comes with diff Left and Right Speakers with splitted wire type contact..

Last edited:
Volt+ is plug and play type and Volt+D is stand alone product.. Volt+D comes with Stepped Attenuator for volume control.. Input for Volt+D comes with RCA and output comes with diff Left and Right Speakers with splitted wire type contact..
Sorry its Volt not Volt+..

Sorry its Volt not Volt+..
Allo has 3 types--- Volt, Volt+ and Volt+D amplifers.. in that Volt is plug and play .. can be used for Boss or Piano DAC.. Volt + is standalone but Single IC is used to convert into LEFT and Right Speakers.. But VOLT+ D came with 2 IC to convert for LEFT and Right Speakers seperately..

How is the quality of sound if compared with similarly priced chineese class D amps? BTW, what are the speakers you currently hooked into it?

thanks,

Hello all,

I am not sure if this is the right thread or if there is a separate thread for this issue. (If there is one, please guide me to it)
i am also not sure if this is a silly-stupid question but I would be grateful for patient, easy to follow explanation and advice.

i have a set up with an integrated amplifier which has a built in DAC.
i am looking to add a streamer without a DAC as I wish to use the built in DAC of the IA which is of a decent quality.

Teo questions:
1. Is there a streamer available that will not do the D to A conversation but only receive and pass through digital Audio signals to the DAC of my amplifier? (I am not technically knowledgeable and don’t know if the laws of physics/electronics make this possible?)

2. Can I use a Raspberry pi to do this ? (Ready to use product recommendation in the Indian market would be great)

Thank you for your patience.

Hello all,

I am not sure if this is the right thread or if there is a separate thread for this issue. (If there is one, please guide me to it)
i am also not sure if this is a silly-stupid question but I would be grateful for patient, easy to follow explanation and advice.

i have a set up with an integrated amplifier which has a built in DAC.
i am looking to add a streamer without a DAC as I wish to use the built in DAC of the IA which is of a decent quality.

Teo questions:
1. Is there a streamer available that will not do the D to A conversation but only receive and pass through digital Audio signals to the DAC of my amplifier? (I am not technically knowledgeable and don’t know if the laws of physics/electronics make this possible?)

2. Can I use a Raspberry pi to do this ? (Ready to use product recommendation in the Indian market would be great)

Thank you for your patience.
Allo Digione Player or Allo Digione Signature Player (if using Coax input of DAC)
Allo USBridge Signature Player (if using USB input of DAC)

I recently purchased and integrated Digione Player. See here

These products are locally manufactured in Bangalore, so they are available and you may get it in a couple of days after placing order.

Cheers,
Raghu

Allo Digione Player or Allo Digione Signature Player (if using Coax input of DAC)
Allo USBridge Signature Player (if using USB input of DAC)

I recently purchased and integrated Digione Player. See here

These products are locally manufactured in Bangalore, so they are available and you may get it in a couple of days after placing order.

Cheers,
Raghu

Thanks raghupb,
This is helpful.
I was under the impression the Allo digione signature has DAC (as a HAT).
This may be a naive question: would using the coaxial out put if the Allo signature to my DAC (inside the amplifier) by pass the DAC of the Allo Signature?

The DAC in my amp has optical and coax inputs, no USB. So the Allo USBridge would not be an option?

Allo Digione (or Signature) player doesn't have a DAC, the HAT used is a digital coaxial output port. So in your case, you will be end up using the DAC of your IA only. All these players are based on Raspberry Pi, but use different HATs according to the configuration.

Allo Digione (or Signature) player doesn't have a DAC, the HAT used is a digital coaxial output port. So in your case, you will be end up using the DAC of your IA only. All these players are based on Raspberry Pi, but use different HATs according to the configuration.

Thanks premoddev for this.

If I were to contact Fabtolab, what exactly should I be asking for? (as I have no idea of configurations, varieties of HATs etc)

I have read through the thread kindly shared by raghupb and think I would prefer the “Signature” Digione. But they seem to come in bits and pieces that need to be put together.

Should I ask for something else along with the Allo Digione signature? (hardware/HAT) that I can bring home, assemble -plug-connect to wifi and it will work?

(I need to make a choice of Rpi software to download and install, but there are separate threads for guidance on this)

FabToLab and WareToHouse are local resellers.
Both Digione Player and Digione Signature Player are fully assembled units.
The signature version needs 2 power supplies.
SW can be chosen at the time of ordering, or you can change it later.

Cheers,
Raghu

FabToLab and WareToHouse are local resellers.
Both Digione Player and Digione Signature Player are fully assembled units.
The signature version needs 2 power supplies.
SW can be chosen at the time of ordering, or you can change it later.

Cheers,
Raghu

I am relieved! Making decisions on things I don’t fully understand is stressful.
i am looking forward to hearing my amps‘ built in DAC finally with the Digione Signature.
Thanks raghupb!

I am relieved! Making decisions on things I don’t fully understand is stressful.
i am looking forward to hearing my amps‘ built in DAC finally with the Digione Signature.
Thanks raghupb!
What's your amp/speakers?
You will need a digital audio cable to mate with DAC. The unit does not come with this.
If you have a component video cable it'll work. Needs that 75 ohm termination.

Cheers,
Raghu

Thanks premoddev for this.

If I were to contact Fabtolab, what exactly should I be asking for? (as I have no idea of configurations, varieties of HATs etc)

I have read through the thread kindly shared by raghupb and think I would prefer the “Signature” Digione. But they seem to come in bits and pieces that need to be put together.

Should I ask for something else along with the Allo Digione signature? (hardware/HAT) that I can bring home, assemble -plug-connect to wifi and it will work?

(I need to make a choice of Rpi software to download and install, but there are separate threads for guidance on this)

I guess already @raghupb cleared your doubts, in case it helps here is the direct link for both players on fabtolab site,

https://www.fabtolab.com/digione-player

In software side Volumio or Moode is what most of the people uses, and both are free. You should need to do an initial configuration if wifi is what your preferred method, otherwise both are ready to play.

This youtube video will give you a better understanding of the player..

What's your amp/speakers?
You will need a digital audio cable to mate with DAC. The unit does not come with this.
If you have a component video cable it'll work. Needs that 75 ohm termination.

Cheers,
Raghu
Hi Raghu, For digital audio, amp has only optical and coaxial inputs (Hegel H300 and Adam audio Pencil Mk3)
given the limited input choices I assume the DAC should have either of these outputs?

I guess already @raghupb cleared your doubts, in case it helps here is the direct link for both players on fabtolab site,

https://www.fabtolab.com/digione-player

In software side Volumio or Moode is what most of the people uses, and both are free. You should need to do an initial configuration if wifi is what your preferred method, otherwise both are ready to play.

This youtube video will give you a better understanding of the player..

Thanks Premoddev,
The links make it really convenient. Thanks for sharing the Darko tutorial. He does explain it very clearly.

Hi Raghu, For digital audio, amp has only optical and coaxial inputs (Hegel H300 and Adam audio Pencil Mk3)
given the limited input choices I assume the DAC should have either of these outputs?
Digione is a streamer with Coax output. So you will be using Coax input on DAC
Assuming this input is free to use (no CD player or something connected to it)
If going for Signature version, there are choice of power supplies
RPI + Dirty board can use stock PS (5V)
Clean board may benefit from a cleaner PS like Nirvana or Shanti (dual 5V output)

Digione has only one PS. There is option to use Nirvana or Shanti.
But I just got the stock PS. I feel it is good enough for me. YMMV.
FYI, I use only Spotify Premium for streaming through this device.
Offline, there is an external HDD (2TB) with a mix of FLAC, MP3, WAV (varying degrees of quality)

Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:
Most of the images for the Pi will have a Spotify plugin, some work with Tidal and Qobuz too. I haven't seen any Soundcloud plugins but am sure there should be workarounds.
Soundcloud plugin is available with the name Squeezecloud under 3rd party plugins of LMS.

I have a general query/doubt.
Practically speaking, how may subscriptions (free or paid) does one really need?
I have a hard time keeping up with Spotify, Amazon, Gaana and USB attached HDD.

Cheers,
Raghu

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back