Rqst: Help choosing Amp for Bose 141

devakj

Was moving and came across a pair of bookshelves I had bought while in US arnd 6/7 years back.. Looked up the spec and found out the following:
# Compatible with receivers rated 10-80 watts per channel
# Compatible with receivers rated 4-8 ohms
# 40 watts IEC

Any idea what amp can power this? So far I have thought of:
1. Getting the Norge 2060/1000 that is so famous in the forums
2. Getting the Pyle which is much cheaper and has pretty good ratings:
Amazon.com: Pyle - Mini 2x75W Stereo Power Amplifier - PCA3: Electronics

The Pyle also seems to have a voltage selector and I would not need a Step Down.

The challenge with Norge is that being from Kochi, have not found a place where I can get it from (either online or retail).

I am planning to use this to power my TV. It is an old SOny CRT and the new place I moved into has a pretty big hall (Arnd 10 m/4 m)

TIA
Deva

Was moving and came across a pair of bookshelves I had bought while in US arnd 6/7 years back.. Looked up the spec and found out the following:
# Compatible with receivers rated 10-80 watts per channel
# Compatible with receivers rated 4-8 ohms
# 40 watts IEC

Any idea what amp can power this? So far I have thought of:
1. Getting the Norge 2060/1000 that is so famous in the forums
2. Getting the Pyle which is much cheaper and has pretty good ratings:
Amazon.com: Pyle - Mini 2x75W Stereo Power Amplifier - PCA3: Electronics

The Pyle also seems to have a voltage selector and I would not need a Step Down.

The challenge with Norge is that being from Kochi, have not found a place where I can get it from (either online or retail).

I am planning to use this to power my TV. It is an old SOny CRT and the new place I moved into has a pretty big hall (Arnd 10 m/4 m)

TIA
Deva

Dear Deva,

Being an owner of a pair of Bose 161s,

I don't see much wrong with them..

It's rated at 10-100 w/ch.

They may not be world champions, but still they like to run the race and run it well.

Still, You will definitely find it lacking in low bass.

And the Bose Company recommends setting the speakers to "small" in AVR's bass management when used as surrounds / Fronts in a HT.

So, dont blast the bass heavy music.

The Twiddler drivers ensure you get decent High and mid bass.

So maybe in the future You would like to add a subwoofer to round off the frequency response.

Cheers,

Subcenter2009

Deva,

You can email Shyam Bajaj of Norge audio and put the money in his bank account, he will ship the amp to you. But again demo is a problem. Else you should head over to vector, bangalore.
Deva, are you looking at Norge because of the price factor or because you are fixed on getting the model because you like the sound?
If your budget is higher, you can audition cambridge audio azur 340a at Decibel or Hi fi link in Cochin. You could also try the used market, you may sometimes get a much better deal.
I am also a resident of Cochin. :D

Contact details from Norge site:
Eastern Electronics
225, Hammer Smith Industrial Estate, Sitladevi temple road, Mahim,Mumbai - 400016.
Tel : 91-22-2446 6627
Fax : 91-22-2446 6627
[email protected]

Deva,

You can email Shyam Bajaj of Norge audio and put the money in his bank account, he will ship the amp to you. But again demo is a problem. Else you should head over to vector, bangalore.
Deva, are you looking at Norge because of the price factor or because you are fixed on getting the model because you like the sound?
If your budget is higher, you can audition cambridge audio azur 340a at Decibel or Hi fi link in Cochin. You could also try the used market, you may sometimes get a much better deal.
I am also a resident of Cochin. :D

Contact details from Norge site:
Eastern Electronics
225, Hammer Smith Industrial Estate, Sitladevi temple road, Mahim,Mumbai - 400016.
Tel : 91-22-2446 6627
Fax : 91-22-2446 6627
[email protected]

Thank You for the response. I looked at Norge because it seemed to have decent reviews and not too pricey. Again, my requirements are bare minimum, it is too just improve on my TV speakers. Was hoping to see if I could find a matching pair of amp (Have heard people mentioning that their Norge does not match their X -Brand speakers etc..). SO wasn't sure of the Bose.

I will try Hi FI Link and if I don't see anything good, will try my luck with the Norge..

Subcenter2009: TNope, I do to plan to blast any heavy music on this.. Good to know that they would sound OK once I power them..

Thank You for the response. I looked at Norge because it seemed to have decent reviews and not too pricey. Again, my requirements are bare minimum, it is too just improve on my TV speakers. Was hoping to see if I could find a matching pair of amp (Have heard people mentioning that their Norge does not match their X -Brand speakers etc..). SO wasn't sure of the Bose.

I will try Hi FI Link and if I don't see anything good, will try my luck with the Norge..

Subcenter2009: TNope, I do to plan to blast any heavy music on this.. Good to know that they would sound OK once I power them..

You can audition ca340a with your speakers at hi fi links. You can do the same at decibel, opp avenue regent. If you like it, get the best quote.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back