SACD's in chennai

side question - how do you rip SACD/ DVD-A to play back from comp?

Can DVD-A be played on a normal DVD player/ passed to my receiver's DAC via coax?

regards

Hi,

I guess you can play DVD audio using a normal DVDP

No you cannot play a DVD-Audio disc in a normal DVD player as the TOC (table of contents ) in DVD-A and DVD-V are different !

In DVD-A the Video_TS folder will be empty and the entire will be in the Audio_TS folder ! the exact opposite in DVD-V !!

side question - how do you rip SACD/ DVD-A to play back from comp?

Its Impossible to rip the SACD layer :indifferent14:!! no computer based drive is capable of reading that layer ! all you can do is rip the CD layer :sad:!

As with DVD-A either you use media players like Power DVD and such which is perfectly capable of reading the DVD-A or use some DVD demuxer's to convert the TS files into whatever required audio files !

Or play the disc through the comp and pass the digital via optical or co-ax to an AVR !

Hope this helps :)!

Regards.

Hi,

No you cannot play a DVD-Audio disc in a normal DVD player as the TOC (table of contents ) in DVD-A and DVD-V are different !

In DVD-A the Video_TS folder will be empty and the entire will be in the Audio_TS folder ! the exact opposite in DVD-V !!

Its Impossible to rip the SACD layer :indifferent14:!! no computer based drive is capable of reading that layer ! all you can do is rip the CD layer :sad:!

As with DVD-A either you use media players like Power DVD and such which is perfectly capable of reading the DVD-A or use some DVD demuxer's to convert the TS files into whatever required audio files !

Or play the disc through the comp and pass the digital via optical or co-ax to an AVR !

Hope this helps :)!

Regards.

Oh thanks for letting me know :)

I thought it was possible.

Hi Metalbandit,

i checked Landmark but i couldnt find any SACDs there and the people there had no clue about what i was asking them...

Also can you please tell me the location for Odyssey?

Why don't you order from Amazon?
Here, even if you find you will not get enough choice.

Why don't you order from Amazon?
Here, even if you find you will not get enough choice.

+1, but they are going to be very expensive and also will need the right h/w to play them. Cannot even rip them on a PC so it's going to pinch if it gets damaged...

Yes, universal DVD player is required. You can at least backup DVD-A using DVDFab Platinum.

Search on the landmark site I have mentioned in my post. There are very few available. As suggested by others, Amazon may be a better but expensive choice.

Check out Odyssey at Adyar, Mandaveli, etc. if they carry SACD's or DVD-A.

No. 67, R.A. Puram, Mandaveli
Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600028
044 64591747

45,46,47, First Main Road, Gandhi Nagar, Adyar 600020
044-24402264

Hi Metalbandit,

i checked Landmark but i couldnt find any SACDs there and the people there had no clue about what i was asking them...

Also can you please tell me the location for Odyssey?

...i checked Landmark but i couldnt find any SACDs there and the people there had no clue about what i was asking them...

You're right, no one in these stores have a clue about SACDs. Also, you'd have to dig through their entire stock to find out the SACDs and DVD-As. Some of them, like the Rolling Stones catalogue from ABKO don't even have SACD markings. You're best bet in Chennai as far as I know are the 3 Landmark stores in Spencer's, Nungambakkam and Citicenter. Some of the albums/artistes that I know were available on SACDs/DVD-A's in these stores are:

1. The Police discography
2. Pink Floyd - DSOTM
3. Roger Waters - The Wall
4. The Rollingstones from ABKO - Most of their early albums were available. Look for the thick card paper jewel boxes and not the plastic ones.
4. Elton John - Goodbye Yellowbrick Road
5. Diana Krall ( 3 of her albums)
6. Grateful Dead (American Beauty and Working Man's Dead)
7. Fleetwood Mac (Rumors and Greatest Hits)
8. Dvorak's Slavonic Dances and few other classical albums from the Phillips label.

I'll try and see if I can take a sneak peak at the Spencer's store this weekend and I'll let you know...

Here are the SACDs and DVD-As that are available at Landmark, Citicenter store:

Fleetwood Mac: Say You Will - DVD-A

Queen: A Night at the Opera - DVD-A

Miles Davis: Tutu - DVD-A

Grateful Dead: American Beauty - DVD-A

Megadeth: Peace Sells...But Who's Buying - DVD-A

The Rolling Stones: Flowers - SACD*

Bjork: Vespertine - SACD*

Anne-Sophie Mutter: Beethoven: Violin Concerto; Romances - SACD

Led Zeppelin: How the West Was Won - DVD-A

* Currently on sale at 50% off on the marked price of Rs.445.

Unfortunately this store did not have any other albums on SACD or DVD-A and was informed that they're not getting these anymore. I'll try the other Landmark stores this week/end and see if there are any other albums.

As suggested by others, Amazon may be a better but expensive choice.

Do you order from Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk? the shipping rates of Amazon uk are cheaper (to India too) as compared to Amazon US. Most of my purchases are through Amazon because they work out cheaper than what I can get from a store in Dubai.

But yes, SACD and DVD-A titles are very expensive. good recordings start at ~800 rupees

Hi sushanth,

Did u get to buy any sacds?

@ gurus here

It seems sacd multi channel cds can be played only thro a DSD capable AVR. is it true? I dont think my Onkyo 3100 AVR is DSD capable. Can someone tell me if i can play sacd's or DVD-A from say an Oppo DVDp thro my HTiB?

cheers,
sri

Hi sushanth,

Did u get to buy any sacds?

@ gurus here

It seems sacd multi channel cds can be played only thro a DSD capable AVR. is it true? I dont think my Onkyo 3100 AVR is DSD capable. Can someone tell me if i can play sacd's or DVD-A from say an Oppo DVDp thro my HTiB?

cheers,
sri

While we wait for the gurus, I don't think you should have any issues playing multi-channel music through your AVR as long as the receiver has 5.1 analog inputs...

Hi,

Brother I disagree with you here as I didn't had DVD A player earlier so I could play my DVD A disks on my normal Samsung DVD Players. The only disadvantage with the normal DVD players is that you are not able to play the lossless audio decoder through it whereas you could choose DTS which is equally good. When you play a DVD A disk instead of Video you get pictures or lyrics displayed on your screen.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back