SalkSound HT2-TL and HT2C

I don't mean to imply that better speakers do not exist, of course. If nothing else, personal preferences may well lean someone towards one vs the other. All speakers you mentioned are very well regarded, so there is nothing like listening to as many as one is interested in oneself before deciding. One thing for me though, if I am spending that much money, I want a floorstander that reaches lower than the bookshelves you mentioned (just a personal preference, of course) and preferably be more sensitive. And they better be damn good looking too :)

Just curious though, which of Salks have you heard yourself and compared to the speakers you mentioned (or read of direct or indirect comparisons)? Would like to know (or provide links to comparisons), as I couldn't find much when I searched online.

And btw, Dynaudio s1.4 is $3500 + $500 for stands.
1 comment I found about Proac vs Salk - Proac D18 vs Salk ST-RT vs Salk HT1-TL.

Last edited:
I got a quote from Jim for song tower : base price ~2k and shipping ~500 USD.

SO landed cost minus customs is 2.5k USD or 1.2lacs INR.
( so that beats Thiel etc here in cost )

regards

The price is the same but my shipping quote (to Delhi) was $346.64. :confused:

And if you take in account any other 'branded' speakers, the prices will not be any different than this breakup. ATC SCM, ProAc, Vienna Acoustics etc are all sold with quite a substantial markup over their street price over across the 2 big ponds. :cool:

So if you consider what you pay for them and then add up the shipping+importation cost of any 'Grade A' ID brand, I believe you still end up a winner with a much better sounding product at that price point. :yahoo:

Plus you get the option to customize your product which most of the 'brick n mortar showroom' brands do NOT offer (except in their ultra high end products).

Last edited:
In case you are are charged duty (which in all probability you will be) thats another $600 or so extra.:mad:
Its a real pity we cant savour these ID company products considering freight and customs costs.

Well if the models you are looking at are ~$2000 or more, then its worth the trouble. Else the shipping and customs will be make the whole proposition very unappealing. :p

And as for customs...Yes they are a big PITA but if you opt for the 'door to port' delivery then you have control over what you pay for customs and hiring a good clearing agent can save you a lot of money. :)

Last edited:
godsdevil - can you pls pm me more about the clearing agents that can save money, and do not run away with my goods :)

I got a quote from Jim for song tower : base price ~2k and shipping ~500 USD.
SO landed cost minus customs is 2.5k USD or 1.2lacs INR.
( so that beats Thiel etc here in cost )

In case you are are charged duty (which in all probability you will be) thats another $600 or so extra.:mad:
Its a real pity we cant savour these ID company products considering freight and customs costs.

In effect we in India would pay about $3000 or 1.5L for a pair of Song Tower and the hassles of importing insurance etc... this makes the Song Towers a bit more expensive than a pair of Focal 836V available in rupees. Agreed the Song Tower might be a better speaker overall though.

you can make ER18 MTM, these were done by the same designers (dennis murphy and paul kittinger) that did the st and ht2tl. The drivers used fall bang in the middile of ST and ht2tl drivers in terms of quality, while in cost they are closer to st drivers. If they had a 3k salk, this would be it. you can use dome or ribbon tweeter. cost 550 to 650 usd (depending on the tweeter) for drivers and crossover. I got the parts, so watch out for the build thread sometime soon (depends how soon i can get rid of my laziness:lol:).

In effect we in India would pay about $3000 or 1.5L for a pair of Song Tower and the hassles of importing insurance etc... this makes the Song Towers a bit more expensive than a pair of Focal 836V available in rupees. Agreed the Song Tower might be a better speaker overall though.

As good as the Focals are, it is not even a fair comparison to the SongTowers - neither sound, nor looks.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back