sam9s NEXT NAS Project! powered by Synology DS413j!!

Sam, nice review. There are so many options to explore.

It would be good buy here if priced around 20k, Netgear 4 disk is selling even lesser than this. At 27k + taxes, I would rather buy another from Amazon.

its 25K including everything, shipping+import duties from Amazon for ds413j

Last edited:
Thanks Sam for the detailed write up. It's very helpful.

Can you please throw some light on the following.

• Will this NAS work as a XBMC file server? can it handle BD-ISO?
  • Can it house the MySQL database for XBMC and also media files at the same time? does it have horse power to handle both the tasks?
  • It does run Plex Media Server (NAS List) but will it support Direct Play? I know it will not support Transcoding :sad:

^^ Hi ukjeyaraj, it very tough to explain the difference the difference in words, coz I might explain something and you might land up getting something else. Best is to read ,,,, though I have explained the nut buts on the first page itself. But for better insight and in detail... please do go through the following page for SHR explanation ..

What is Synology Hybrid RAID - Synology Inc. Network Attached Storage - NEW NAS Experience

I had a doubt about file-system used by SHR and there is no mention on that in the document. However from one of your screenshots, I understand it is ext4. Is that (ext4) is the only choice or other file-systems are available?

In case the box goes bad and all disks are working, is it possible to connect the HDDs to some PC and access the data for recovery?

Thanks Sam for the detailed write up. It's very helpful.

Can you please throw some light on the following.

• Will this NAS work as a XBMC file server? can it handle BD-ISO?
  • Can it house the MySQL database for XBMC and also media files at the same time? does it have horse power to handle both the tasks?
  • It does run Plex Media Server (NAS List) but will it support Direct Play? I know it will not support Transcoding :sad:

Q :Will this NAS work as a XBMC file server? can it handle BD-ISO?

A :: Yes NAS can work as XBMC file server. BD-ISO and high bitrate files are not NAS dependent as such as much as they are LAN Bandwidth dependent, even on a gigbit LAN, few full BD ISO sometimes stutter. Also in order to make sure that almost all BD ISO plays flawlessly. Quite a few things needs to me addressed, like type of HDD on NAS (prefer 7200rpm WD Black or Blue), full gigabit network with quality gigabit router and CAT6 cables..... etc etc.

Q : Can it house the MySQL database for XBMC and also media files at the same time? does it have horse power to handle both the tasks?

A :: Synology413j has phpMyAdmin package, which works on, MYSQL and you can use it to host any database task. Yes it has the horsepower to handle both at the same time. I am hosting the database for my site "www.sam9sworld.com" on 413j itself and its working perfectly.

will it support Direct Play?

I dont use plex media server, so I dont know what Direct Play is, if you can explain I might try that out. I use Synology own AudioStation which is UPnP complaint and workes wonders, so never felt the need to tey something else.

If I need transcoading of my Audio Files from FLAC/WAV to MP3, I switchover to Logitech Media Server, which also works perfectly on 413j

I had a doubt about file-system used by SHR and there is no mention on that in the document. However from one of your screenshots, I understand it is ext4. Is that (ext4) is the only choice or other file-systems are available?

In case the box goes bad and all disks are working, is it possible to connect the HDDs to some PC and access the data for recovery?

Yes there are other file systems available and also different RAID available if you do not want to stick to SHR. But my experience says SHR works best, its something like parity that was in UNRAID.

Thanks for those answers Sam, really appreciate it.

will it support Direct Play?

I dont use plex media server, so I dont know what Direct Play is, if you can explain I might try that out. I use Synology own AudioStation which is UPnP complaint and workes wonders, so never felt the need to tey something else.

Direct play is the feature in Plex Media Server which allows server to directly feed video to client, instead of transcoding it on the server.

If you have time and can test Plex Server on this NAS, will be very helpful for forum members to make decision.

Synology has Plex media server package in the package manager which you can install and then you also need to install client (Plex Media Center) on other machine, which you can download from (Get Plex!).

I tried it for a very brief moment, and did not like it at all specially after using Synology Audio/Video Station. For Transcoading Audio over 3G on my Cell I use LMS. Video I never watch over 3G.

But plex worked as intended. As I said I did not like it much so did not do any RnD ......Haisaikhat has spend much more time on Plex, but then on a different NAS ...:)

What exactly is your need, there might be something else that might better fit ..... :)

I tried it for a very brief moment, and did not like it at all specially after using Synology Audio/Video Station. For Transcoading Audio over 3G on my Cell I use LMS. Video I never watch over 3G.

But plex worked as intended. As I said I did not like it much so did not do any RnD ......Haisaikhat has spend much more time on Plex, but then on a different NAS ...:)

What exactly is your need, there might be something else that might better fit ..... :)

Thanks Sam.

I currently use Plex and XBMC on my HTPC & Mac for movies and was impressed by Plex Media Server features which are not easily doable on XBMC. Like copying movie file in media folder and server takes care of scrapping movie info automatically, all your watched list and playlists are updated on all client as server is centrally located. This can be achieved on XBMC but will need some tinkering to do.

Also Plex has very good Android and iOS clients which can be used through wifi if not 3G.

I am sure now after your answers that this NAS will serve very well for XBMC users but was more interested in seeing if it can run Plex.

esobaki .... see NAS gonna serve Plex exactly the way plex intends too, that is the reason its there in the official application list of synology. Else synology would not have included it at all. Its just that I did not find it to be impressive, over synologys own DLNA/UPnP Media server and A/V station.

Coming to what you want to achieve, XBMC dos that well even without any tinkring, i.e I just copy (first Rename) the movie in to the folder that already has been added to XBMC, and XBMC automatically pics all movie info, metadata.

If you have multiple clients with XBMC and want to have a complete sync between them, yes in that case MySQL has to come in to the picture, and you have to configure it so that, the XBMC info is stored on the database.

Coming to Android/iOS client, EVERY multimedia app or feature (UPnP client, A/V station, LMS ... Serviio ...you name it) on Synology has a fully working Android or iOS app, that works on Wifi and 3G as well, just for 3G you have to do manual configurations to make it work (that is valid for any NAS or application that you need to access from internet)

I just copy (first Rename) the movie in to the folder that already has been added to XBMC, and XBMC automatically pics all movie info, metadata.

I will have to try this. I currently use MediaElch to scrape media info for the movies first and then update the XBMC library. That's why I shifted to Plex.

About the synology's A/V station apps will have to see it myself but your detailed explanation enough (I am already sold).

Need to start saving some bucks for this buy..!!! :)

This is certainly a comprehensive n wonderful review/userguide. I am also v impressed by your ability to :) take out time and share these detailed guides with community..indeed inspirational :)

I purchased a DS212j last week through Amazon(costed ~ 14k INR) and the stuff about DSM pretty much applies to it as well. I did learn about lot of new capability through your guide. So thanks for it.

I have few questions for you ..

Q1. I am trying(now and earlier also) to open ports on my airtel wifi router/modem and havent been able to do so. I have tired eveything from enabling the DMZ to NATing and followed all the steps that are out there on the net. I know you may be covering opening ports in part3 but I have a feeling that Airtel Beetel450 is not v reliable. Do you have any suggestions for any good ADSL router that I can buy that works well with Airtel.

Q2: I am getting v slow speed of 2mbps while copying within my LAN(DS212j to desktop or Xtreamer etc). Do you think he router can be the bottleneck.

This is certainly a comprehensive n wonderful review/userguide. I am also v impressed by your ability to :) take out time and share these detailed guides with community..indeed inspirational :)

I purchased a DS212j last week through Amazon(costed ~ 14k INR) and the stuff about DSM pretty much applies to it as well. I did learn about lot of new capability through your guide. So thanks for it.

I have few questions for you ..

Q1. I am trying(now and earlier also) to open ports on my airtel wifi router/modem and havent been able to do so. I have tired eveything from enabling the DMZ to NATing and followed all the steps that are out there on the net. I know you may be covering opening ports in part3 but I have a feeling that Airtel Beetel450 is not v reliable. Do you have any suggestions for any good ADSL router that I can buy that works well with Airtel.

Q2: I am getting v slow speed of 2mbps while copying within my LAN(DS212j to desktop or Xtreamer etc). Do you think he router can be the bottleneck.

Hi Avnik,

Appreciate your compliments, its good atleast some get to utilize what I write with my sole dedication and interest ... :)
I will comment on the speed part first. Which router do you have. Airtel Beetel I presume is just the modem, I also have the same Beetel but 220BX, not sure about 450, is it a modem cum router or just the router, if ts just modem, like mine, then which router is it connected to.
Synology I am afraid to say isnt the best NAS out there when it comes to data transfer speed. With full gigabit network across all my gadgets, gizmos and systems, I could only manage to get around 30-40 MBps. While when I was on UNRAID (my first NAS, a DIY) I always easily used to get 50+. Copying via USB 3.0 it used to even touch 80-90MBps. Not with synology. On Wifi n with UNRAID I used to get 12-15MBps, with Synology its touches max 8-9MBPS, so yes that is one area I will agree Synology is just average. It you are getting in the same range than you are OK. If its painstakingly slow, then bottleneck can be anywhere. But usually as a thumb rule, you should maintain an all gigabit network, with a quality gigabit router, gigabit ethernet (NIC) and quality CAT 6 cables.

Coming to port fw. yes I would prefer to cover that in my Part 3, but I can share the main step that you need to do, rest when you google you will get to know how its done.

I am assuming that you have a beteel Modem connected to a router, through which rest of your devices are connected. To understand this you need to know one main thing .............An Always on broadband connection is not exactly always on, there is a PPPoE protocol that is maintained by the Modem by constantly dialing to the server. This dialing takes place with your airtel User ID and a password that is set by the airtel customer care.

For this this reason as long as your modem does the dialing you cannot do a port FW on your router, you need your router do the PPPoE dialing rather than the modem, only then the router will allow to port fw. How do you make this happen...... by setting you modem to Bridge mode, which bypasses the PPPoE dialing to router and then setting your router to do the PPPoE dialing.
To accomplish this you need to know your airtel broadband user ID and password (call CC for this.) and set you router to do the dialing with these credentials.

Once this is done, you will be able to port FW from your router.

I hope this is enough for now, I have given you the basic concept, rest how to do is an easy google job ... :), :) ,,, or wait for my part 3 ... :D :D.

Regards
Sammy

Last edited:
@avink, just curious, did you manage to port fw and have access to you NAS from outside

Short answer : Yes :)
Long answer : I was using the airtel provided modem+router box which was on PPoE and also acting as dhcp...and i swear i had its port forwarding working once and was able to access my xtremer admin over internet. However it was flaky and most probably for the reasons mentioned by you above. On your advice, I hooked up a netgear wgr614 router which was lying around and flipped the modem to bridge mode. I was able to forward the ports on router and can access my synology using ddns. I just set it up yesterday night..so have been accessing it from within the LAN . the real test would be when I access it from outside, over the net, today. But since ddns is working, I am assuming it should work. will keep you posted.

Congratts ,,,, good to know it worked ..... its gonna be an all together different feeling when you will access your NAS from outside, listen to you own music collection over 3G, and have access to your entire photo collection via PhotoStation.

I bought the DS213 a couple of days back (along with the two 3TB WD Red drives). Very excited to see the review. The hardware config of 413j is very much the same as 213 (213 is little stronger with the higher clocked CPU) and since I am not looking at the RAID5, I guess the performance that I am going to see would be similar to what you are getting, sam.

What is the cheapest option for a SOHO environment (small office with 3-5 PC's).
Mainly useful for
1>Automatic backup of full machine
2> Selected file/ folder backup
3> Works across network with just the NAS and the switch kept on.
4> Any support for IP cameras for surveillance

Also, I assume that price for the 212 is around 16K. 2 x 1 TB drives will cost another 8-10K.

I bought the DS213 a couple of days back (along with the two 3TB WD Red drives). Very excited to see the review. The hardware config of 413j is very much the same as 213 (213 is little stronger with the higher clocked CPU) and since I am not looking at the RAID5, I guess the performance that I am going to see would be similar to what you are getting, sam.

Yes 413j performs more or less same as 212j, except maybe the RAM and CPU usage is more, but performance wise there is not much of a hit. 413 can accommodate more HDD, thats the main adv, other advantages are very few and specific ....

What is the cheapest option for a SOHO environment (small office with 3-5 PC's).
Mainly useful for
1>Automatic backup of full machine
2> Selected file/ folder backup
3> Works across network with just the NAS and the switch kept on.
4> Any support for IP cameras for surveillance

Also, I assume that price for the 212 is around 16K. 2 x 1 TB drives will cost another 8-10K.

Well you can use any DIY NAS OS to achieve the same, (freeNAS, UNRAID, Openflier, WHS, OPenMediaVault, LaCie NAS OS 3 ......... lot many options) however with any DIY, you have to configure everything. Plus which OS will carter to your specific requirements is something you have to test and then finalize. In a nut shall need some efforts to successfully accomplish the above.

The same can also be achieved with a prebuilt NAS ...... Synology, Netgear, Belkin, D-Link ........all provide these functionalists, what you want is something you have to research ...

I can answer anything specific to Synology and UNRAID (prebuilt and DIY) or you can also refer my two NAS threads here, that explains my both DIY and Prebuilt projects ....

Regards
Sammy

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back