sam9s NEXT NAS Project! powered by Synology DS413j!!

Yes, it is a lot of data, but also partly because of the uncompressed format I use in the music server which takes up a lot of space with null bites (WAV64). The back up is in various formats depending on whether I initially bought it in FLAC, ALAC or WAV etc. I rip in WAV and don't download music that is free which I don't know the source of. I am very particular about maintaining the quality of the music files and indexing. I have received some music from friends (and recently a chunk from a generous FM - thanks!) but am very tough on culling these for the sake of the quality of the collection.

As it is specifically Western classical music for the most part (save 2 x 2TB for Jazz and Other - Pop, Rock, World, Samplers, Test discs etc.), I am quite organized by now on how I want the filing system to look. My next effort will be to work with someone (who wishes to work on this as a passion or hobby) on developing a cross-referencing database, replete with metadata and artwork, for this music. I have not yet come across a satisfactory interface as yet although the information (in varying levels of reliability) is available. I think there is a lot of money to be made by someone if they can standardize this in the future.

OK so all your data is basically FLAC files, well then its still easier to organize, unlike me, where I have all kinds of data ranging from Movies (with DVDrips, HDRips kept separately), TV Shows, Youtube videos, Home Made Movies, Mobile Videos, Songs FLAC and MP3, applications, softwares, office data, games ISOs, truck load of documents, guides. ...... blah blah , the list goes on and on. In a scenario like this it is a bit difficult to organize. Which finally I was able to since I started using NAS. Now everything is neatly placed on a centralized location, properly organized.

I would like to know more about what you mean by "developing a cross-referencing database, replete with metadata and artwork, for this music" ..... just as a curiosity ...... :)

Hi Sam, sorry for the misunderstanding...about 10% is FLAC (one part of the music files on the back up drives) and the rest is in other formats, but all music and the principle format that I use to play music is WAV64 (hence the huge amount of data).

My comment on the database was a plea to figure out a way to access my music using a relational database. I just don't have that information associated with each folder (representing an album) and also would love to develop the super-structure required to access this information once it is inserted via various data heads. Hope that makes sense.

By the way, slightly off topic, but what program do you recommend that I get to download you tube videos. And will it also deal with recording live streaming? Thanks.

Hey,
So i tried to figure out and thought of an idea to run parallel network in my house i.e. wifi and ethernet cable.
Currently there are cat5 cables in every room which come together on the ground floor, So if i connect them all to an ethernet switch and that switch to a WIFI modem/router then shouldn't i have both wifi and cable network in the form of LAN as well as internet connectivity ?
Then for the basement i already have a cat5 cable running to the same place on the ground floor which will be connected to the switch and in the basement end i will connect another 5-6 socket switch with which i will connect my HTPC (with external Hard drive) my ps3 and an ethernet wifi router for the basement alone.
So my main query from you now is that will my plan work ?

By the way, slightly off topic, but what program do you recommend that I get to download you tube videos. And will it also deal with recording live streaming? Thanks.

I have tried a couple but none worked perfectly, (YTD is most popular) but then my synology came to rescue, there is a chrome and firefox synology plugin, that gives a neat button at the bottom of every you tube video on youtube, I just need to click on it and it downloads the video straight on to my NAS at home .. :D .. :) Neat isnt it ..

2cr96cg.jpg

Hey,
So i tried to figure out and thought of an idea to run parallel network in my house i.e. wifi and ethernet cable.
Currently there are cat5 cables in every room which come together on the ground floor, So if i connect them all to an ethernet switch and that switch to a WIFI modem/router then shouldn't i have both wifi and cable network in the form of LAN as well as internet connectivity ?
Then for the basement i already have a cat5 cable running to the same place on the ground floor which will be connected to the switch and in the basement end i will connect another 5-6 socket switch with which i will connect my HTPC (with external Hard drive) my ps3 and an ethernet wifi router for the basement alone.
So my main query from you now is that will my plan work ?

you dont need a switch unless you run out of ports. So you can connect all your LAN cables to your wifi router directly and yes that would give you internet to your devices connected to LAN cable and wirelessly as well. Your router in turn would be connected to your ISP MOdem. If you need to extent your network say to your basement yes a switch would be handy

Also connecting a router to a router is a bit tricky, if you do not need wifi in your basement I would say get a switch connect to your primary router.
If you need wifi as well then yes you can connect a router to your primary router but few setting needs to be done. If you know what to do, good enough, if not then let me know and I shall guide you ....

Regards
Sammy

I went the interim route and bought three WD 3 TB red caviar discs for my desktop yesterday. I thought this would let me, at some future stage, remove the internal drives from the desktop and put them into a NAS enclosure when I am ready.

If you have win8, try and setup storage space .. I've not tried it myself, but read about it and feel its quite helpful. You can setup a storage space of any max limit(say 100tb) and u can keep adding and removing disks when u need.

Btw- how much did ur 3tb reds cost ??

I have tried a couple but none worked perfectly, (YTD is most popular) but then my synology came to rescue, there is a chrome and firefox synology plugin, that gives a neat button at the bottom of every you tube video on youtube, I just need to click on it and it downloads the video straight on to my NAS at home .. :D .. :) Neat isnt it ..

2cr96cg.jpg

you dont need a switch unless you run out of ports. So you can connect all your LAN cables to your wifi router directly and yes that would give you internet to your devices connected to LAN cable and wirelessly as well. Your router in turn would be connected to your ISP MOdem. If you need to extent your network say to your basement yes a switch would be handy

Also connecting a router to a router is a bit tricky, if you do not need wifi in your basement I would say get a switch connect to your primary router.
If you need wifi as well then yes you can connect a router to your primary router but few setting needs to be done. If you know what to do, good enough, if not then let me know and I shall guide you ....

Regards
Sammy

Sam,
Following the synology feature you described (which looked very useful to me) I researched some time back on this and found that for we people who have windows based NAS solutions there is a similar chrome plugin https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...tion-f/laeghehalempfenbefbjbhccjcoakpmm?hl=en which works the same way if JDownloader is installed on the NAS (if you intend to use JDownloader as service in case you do not take the benefit of startup at login feature because you usually do not login to NAS boxes to start a session then use this direction [Solved] Run JDownloader (with web interface) as a service - JD Community) then you can literally initiate dowload of anything including youtube videos remotely on your NAS (or even any windows PC running back at home) from anywhere as long as you have chrome and this plugin.

Very....good review sam9s .. reading this...ordered DS213J, just waiting of it.. any thing i need to be looking for other then what you mentioned in the blog.. when compared to DS413J..

Thanks ...... jeet .... no everything is more or less covered, there is not much of a difference between 213j and 413j except the ram, more hdd enclosures and external looks.

Hi Sam,

Got my DS213J, currently installed my 500GB HD init. trying the initial setup on this HD, would be ordering 4TB soon..

Wanted to know, would I be able to access my DiskStation over the internet?

couldnt find PartII and later parts, could you please paste the links pls

jeet

^^ Havent created part two, yet ...... I actually wait and see how the demand is, which the sad part is, is less, else would have written the part II sooner. Never the less I will write part II, when is something I have not decided. But if you need anyspecific information, I can help you out let me know... :)

And yes you can access diskstation over internet. Do you see, sam9s website project in my sig, that is completely developed on Synology Ds413j and can be accessed anywhere in the world.

Hey Sam,

Thank you,

Today i was trying to set up my DS over the internet, was trying the EZ-INTERNET wizard provided.
I have Airtel 16Mbps line and connected to Beetel Modem (Airtel Provided). I have the PPPOE UID and PWD,

How to make Synology NAS accessible ... - Synology Inc. Network Attached Storage - NEW NAS Experience

using the wizard when I try to Enable PPPoE enter the PPPoE details i get a connection failed.

in one of your reply you suggested that Port Forwarding cannot be done on a Modem.. is that the reason my PPPoE connection is getting failed??

I guess i need to get a Router for this, please suggest me a good model.

regards
jeet

I believe you need a static IP from your ISP for accessing of your NAS from outside the home network. Normally a ISP will give you a dynamic IP only and static IP has to be acquired from them specifically and it is not easy to get a static IP. Sam procured it from his ISP after lots of struggle.

Yes you need a router and yes port fw cannot be done on Modem, that is why we have to switch the modem from PPPoE to Bridge, and configure your router on PPPoE.

I have explained this in detail on the second part of my UNRAID NAS thread.

http://www.hifivision.com/home-thea...part-ii-sam9s-nas-project-powered-unraid.html

go through it and let me know if you face any problem ......

For router E series from linksys is a good start

Last edited:
I believe you need a static IP from your ISP for accessing of your NAS from outside the home network. Normally a ISP will give you a dynamic IP only and static IP has to be acquired from them specifically and it is not easy to get a static IP. Sam procured it from his ISP after lots of struggle.

errrr no manniraj, though I struggled to get the static ip, eventually I dropped the idea as Airtel was charging 5000/year for the same.

Solution to this is DDNS services, which I am planning to explain in PART three in detail. But I have given/written enough in part one itself to make it clear how to use it. Just scroll through under DDNS heading ....

jeetg, by configuring ur modem on bridge and router on PPPoE along with using DDNS services you will easily be able to access your NAS from internet.

Also I forgot to mention , dont configure EZ Internet, its not that usefull as it sounds. once you have your modem on bridge and router on PPPoE, you can anyhow access your NAS over internet using DDNS services. You wont even need EZ Internet

Last edited:
Very....good review sam9s .. reading this...ordered DS213J, just waiting of it.. any thing i need to be looking for other then what you mentioned in the blog.. when compared to DS413J..

Hi, from where did you ordered DS213J+ ?

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back