sam9s NEXT NAS Project! powered by Synology DS413j!!

hey Sams,

Thank you for the your help, i was able to configure my DS over internet. Connected my modem to the router netgear JNR1010 router. works perfectly..

Now currently Im trying to connect my samsung Smart TV (UA40D6000SR) and receiver Yamaha 573 to my DS. i have connected all these devices to the router (WIRED) but neither my TV no HT recognizes the DS as server.
tried the steps from synology page, but did not help.
Any idea???
was reading some blogs .. this is DSM 4.3 issues... some say need to change the router...
have you tried connecting any DLNA devices to the DS..??? any help.....

hey Sams,

Thank you for the your help, i was able to configure my DS over internet. Connected my modem to the router netgear JNR1010 router. works perfectly..

Now currently Im trying to connect my samsung Smart TV (UA40D6000SR) and receiver Yamaha 573 to my DS. i have connected all these devices to the router (WIRED) but neither my TV no HT recognizes the DS as server.
tried the steps from synology page, but did not help.
Any idea???
was reading some blogs .. this is DSM 4.3 issues... some say need to change the router...
have you tried connecting any DLNA devices to the DS..??? any help.....

You need Media Server package running on synology in order for you to access media on NAS via DLNA/UPnP ......... is that running ..???

Yes Sam, Media Server is running, and on the DMA compatibility tab > Device List, I see the Yamaha and Samsung listed.

Yes Sam, Media Server is running, and on the DMA compatibility tab > Device List, I see the Yamaha and Samsung listed.

mmmm I dont have any such issue, never had, but yes I am yet on DSM4.1, still pending to upgrade, let me search a bit on this can get back ....... it cannot be a router issue if you ask me but still .....

Though I dont use my TV or AVR as a DLNA client, but my WD TV LIve and all my mobiles and TABS can see the server fine on UPnP

jeetg ....any luck for the same ...were u able to resolve the issue ...?

Hey Sams,

Sorry for the late reply....

Finally last night i was able to fix this, DS firewall was the culprit, i added the exception for the DLNA deceives and it worked...

this feature was something i really wanted to have.. so that i can access my collections and play my son's rhymes in all his devices.... ;)

finally .. now the next thing.. upgrading of HD for DS..

Thank you for help..

Jeets

Hey Sams,

Sorry for the late reply....

Finally last night i was able to fix this, DS firewall was the culprit, i added the exception for the DLNA deceives and it worked...

this feature was something i really wanted to have.. so that i can access my collections and play my son's rhymes in all his devices.... ;)

finally .. now the next thing.. upgrading of HD for DS..

Thank you for help..

Jeets

oh ok, good to know the problem, I have not enabled the firewall, didnt feel the need to. I however have enabled the Autoblock feature ......
Even I am planning to upgrade synology to next level

will soon put this one on sale and will go for higher version ... :)

Hello Sam,

Have been reading this very informative thread for some time. The reason, my 1st NAS. Soon I will have the same NAS model coming along with my brother from US. Have ordered 2 units of 3TB WD Red NAS drives along with it. Thank you so much for detailed instructions on how to set this up.

I plan to transfer my media from the existing 3 TB HDD (WD green, 7200 RPM) once I am done with the initial NAS set up.

Have couple of below questions regarding data transfer & RAID.

1. As per your instructions, I will configure NAS with 2 new drives and post data transfer will add my existing drive, all 3 tb. I am thinking of going ahead with SHR to began with.

The question is - Is SHR right kind of RAID for me? Will it be possible to change the RAID system after adding the third drive? Is there any possibility of loss of data while doing so?

2. According to you, what's the recommended method to transfer the data to the new hard drives. Is the possible to transfer it out side of NAS post volume creation (using my computer) or I will have to keep the HDDs inside the NAS?

Well, as regards to data, its all media (personal pics, music & movies), existing HDD is almost full to its capacity.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Amit

You are most welcome and appriciate your feedback. Below is my response ..

1. As per your instructions, I will configure NAS with 2 new drives and post data transfer will add my existing drive, all 3 tb. I am thinking of going ahead with SHR to began with.

The question is - Is SHR right kind of RAID for me? Will it be possible to change the RAID system after adding the third drive? Is there any possibility of loss of data while doing so?

A : Yes SHR is synology propriety RAID. Yes you can change the raid type after adding a third drive, but not recomended as yes the entire data will be wiped out as you would be reconfiguring the drives. If you just want to extend the volume by adding a third drive, yes that can be done without loosing the data

2. According to you, what's the recommended method to transfer the data to the new hard drives. Is the possible to transfer it out side of NAS post volume creation (using my computer) or I will have to keep the HDDs inside the NAS?

No you cannot transfer the data out the NAS and then expect to install the drives in side the NAS. Once the drives are installed the NAS will initizlize the drives and write a file system on it, this will wipe out all data. YOu have to install the drives first, initialize them and then start copying the data. If your NAS will have a USB 3 then I would recommend that else gigabit LAN is recommended.

feel free to put your queries ..

Regards
Sammy

Last edited:
Update:

Sam,
Glad to inform that NAS has been set up successfully. Did not have to look at anything else other than instructions:clapping:. Thank you once again.

Media is being transferred as I write. The video station pulls out media information very accurately.

Have installed essential and media packages and its running for last 3 days with 2 HDDs in it. Have accessed it through all of my devices - portable and mobile. Movies being streamed to wired HD900b connected to Emotiva gear and tv.

Is there any way I can make the HD900B pull the media info from video station and display the same on tv? That will be awesome....:yahoo:

Regards,

Amit

Hi Sam,
I am getting unused DS413J with 12TB loaded (4 x 3tb WD RED) for 55k

Seller brought it from Canada to use in his office. But his planned changed later and decided to sell it.

Do you think this is good deal to go ahead?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Sam,

Seller brought it from Canada to use in his office. But his planned changed later and decided to sell it.

Thanks in advance!

I think its a good deal. I got the diskless NAS for about $370 + $250 for the the disks (3 tb, WD Red 2 nos). If you add another $250 for additional 2 disks, the package works out to be $870 and at today's rate it seems reasonable. Check out how old the set up is and take call accordingly.

Just my 2 cents, I know Sam & others experts will provide their opinion/s.

Thanks & Regards,

Amit

Hi Sam,

Thanks in advance!

I would refrain from getting an old hard drive or even a new from that far If the seller can provide full warranty on the hdd then i might say you can take the plunge. I would still Prefer to purchase hard drive from here so if you ask me frankly I would say take the NAS but purchase the hard drive from india itself .

If they are under warranty I would say go ahead.

Warranty is available in US/Canada not in India.

I would refrain from getting an old hard drive or even a new from that far If the seller can provide full warranty on the hdd then i might say you can take the plunge. I would still Prefer to purchase hard drive from here so if you ask me frankly I would say take the NAS but purchase the hard drive from india itself .

NAS+ HDDs are unused.
If I buy HDDs in India I Believe I have to spend ~42-48K for 4 WD RED HDDs (3TB each).

He is willing to let it go for 50K. I understand that I will not get warranty in this case.
I have not finalized the deal yet considering your advice.

I think its a good deal. I got the diskless NAS for about $370 + $250 for the the disks (3 tb, WD Red 2 nos). If you add another $250 for additional 2 disks, the package works out to be $870 and at today's rate it seems reasonable. Check out how old the set up is and take call accordingly.

Just my 2 cents, I know Sam & others experts will provide their opinion/s.

Thanks & Regards,

Amit

Even I think this is good deal. If I order the NAS from Amazon ($ 379) it will cost me INR ~31K and each HDD from amazon is ~$130 (without shipping and duty).

The price you mentioned is also without shipping & duty.

Only concern here is warranty. Hence I asked for opinion of knowledgeable members if the deal is cheap enough to buy these without warranty.

Last edited:
My comment was more on the price aspect. Warranty aspect is important too, in case something goes wrong.
But I think each one of us takes that call based on various factors.
Thanks and regards,

For me hard drive is a very important aspect. As the data is all why we are purchasing the NAS in the first place. If that's goes kaaput we loose everything. If just the NAS blows we still have our data. So I would spend some extra and would always get the hard drives from India with full warranty. if budget is of some concern then get 2 instead of 3 or 4 hdd. Rest is buyers call.

Hi,

I am new to NAS but has recently bought a Synology 414.
I have a CISCO-Linksys E2000 like yourself.

So far, it has been pretty straightforward setup except the DDNS part.
Just want to check if the DDNS works for you on the free synology.me service on E2000? I checked on the internet and it seems that E2000 only works for DYNDNS and TZO?

I used the setup wizard by Synology (ez-internet). It did not report error and when I checked in the DSM Control Panel/DDNS, the status returns as "Normal". But I checked the DDNS setting on the router admin page, it showed the DDNS as not enabled. When I typed the <hostname>.synology.me into the browser URL, it showed my dlink web surveillance camera admin page instead. I am confused. Is the DDNS successfully set up or not? Is my web surveillance camera admin page interfering with the setup?

Would appreciate some advice. Thanks.

HI tsimlw,

I do not use the linksys E2000 inbuild DDNS services, neither do I use EZ-internet, I also do not use synology.me service. Though as a test run I did try use it just to see the performance, but I was not happy. The services did not register correctly.

Assuming you will google up few things I am sharing a brief explanation of what I use/have done.

I use noip.org as my prefered DDNS service.
Once you have decided a hostname from noip like xyz.noip.org (or what ever you decide) .......to access your synology page from internet you now need to open port 5000 or fw port 5000 and point to your synology internal ip 192.168.x.y. This would be found in your router setting under Applications and Gaming and then single port forwarding ....

Once that is done you you have setup NO-ip.org DDNS service under DDNS section of Synology.

After that you should be able to access synology page via URL

http://xyz.noip.org:5000

Like mine is https://sam9s.no-ip.org:5001 (I use HTTPS secure connection hence 5001 else 5000 is the default port)

I have to add ............ things becomes a bit more complicated if you have a modem ISP sitting behind your router, coz in that case the PPPoE dialing is done by the Modem and if thats the case your router will not allow port fw from its interface. If thats is the case do update.

Let me know if you have any further queries ..... :)

Last edited:
You dont need a fixed IP to access your NAS from outside, (thought if you do get it, its nice, makes things simpler), that is where DDNS comes in to the picture. It allows you to create a Domain name that always points to your external dynamic public IP. A service usually running on your NAS or can be on your windows as well, is made to run 24x7 that updates the domain name to always point to the current public dynamic IP, so even if its not fixed, and keeps changing (dynamic), you will always be able to access your NAS from internet.

This is exactly what I have done and explained in my above post. I did not opt for a fixed IP coz Airtel changes 5000/year for the same which is a shame actually.

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back