sam9s NEXT NAS Project! powered by Synology DS413j!!

I believe you need a fixed IP from your ISP for obtaining of your NAS from outside the property system. Normally a ISP provides you with a powerful IP only and fixed IP has to be obtained from them particularly and it is not simple to get a fixed IP. Sam obtained it from his ISP after plenty of battle.

Static IP is not a constraint. You may opt for Dynamic DNS from service providers like DynDNS and your NAS will be accessible over Internet on a protocol of your choice (FTP, SFTP, HTTP, CIFS, NFS, AFP...). Just remember to open an appopriate port on your Router. Additionally, Airtel provides a Static IP to home users on payment of any yearly fee (it was 5000 bucks an year back). You might wsnt to take additional security measures when you expose your NAS box to Internet. Use a DIY firewall (pfSense) and protect your data. At least that's what I did to my 12 TB FreeNAS based setup.

^^ Yes you are correct, what confuses you ..?

Last edited:
I believe you need a fixed IP from your ISP for obtaining of your NAS from outside the property system. Normally a ISP provides you with a powerful IP only and fixed IP has to be obtained from them particularly and it is not simple to get a fixed IP. Sam obtained it from his ISP after plenty of battle.

This... :what:

How did my post land so far away from the one I was responding to? :confused:

So Vizeta, did you take the plunge and buy it?

Yes.... after through inspection I bought it for 50K..... I got it with 4x2TB WD Red HDDs.

I got everything brand new in packed condition.
Installation was very smooth. Using it for last 40 days no issue observed.

Initially I used it without UPS (for 25 days) and faced ~12 ungraceful shutdowns.

Only once a HDD went to degraded state. REcovery took almost 20 hours :eek:

I bought a APC UPS BY700 immediately which has USB management interface. Synology detected the UPS immediately and power management become very easy with this.

So far I can say this is a really great and powerful product.

Thank Sam for sharing so much details about this product which helped me to make my mind to buy this product.

Last edited:
Lovely review Sam...I am sold on this :)
more than a review your post is like a guide to even set it up...
Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Hello Sam,

A great review. Any ideas, where I can buy it here itself. Preferably online, otherwise any reference to a Shop in Delhi/ Pune will also do.

TIA

Well couple of people have bought it like George, Vizeta. I think the prefered route is amazon as they ship this product to india. When I initially purchased 212j I followed the same route ....

towards the end i was obviously guessing the price
and from the length of details and quality I thought it must be in lacs :lol:
of course i have no idea about NAS or its pricing

kudos for the review!:clapping:

Its not that expensive as you made it sound .. :D .... but yes among Home NAS Synology is the most expensive ... :)

Last edited:
@sam9s
i was thinking of something like that for storage purpose as my hdd slots have filled in all 5 bays in my CM 690 and i need more space too.

remote access or streaming wire lessly is not my desire...just storage space

any suggestions?

well I'd say go for a basic DIY NAS with FreeNAS or UNRAID or what is comfortable for you, if storage is your only n primer reason.

@Sam,

At last I booked a lower version of the NAS, DS214se along with a 3TB HDD. I had a limited budget hence the lower version and also looking at good online reviews even for this NAS version. But the only concern area for me now is that I am going to use this only for storage purpose (movies/music/photos) and I am going to use my HTPC/Raspberry Pi/music-pc/mobiles to get the required files to playback on the respective devices. So should I be concerned with the NAS feeding the devices at slower speed (stuttering in movies/music playback) it being only the storage and no processing will be done at its side as the NAS is only 800 Mhz and 256mb RAM. I am going to use like the simple file sharing box without any processing being done at its end.

@Sam,

At last I booked a lower version of the NAS, DS214se along with a 3TB HDD. I had a limited budget hence the lower version and also looking at good online reviews even for this NAS version. But the only concern area for me now is that I am going to use this only for storage purpose (movies/music/photos) and I am going to use my HTPC/Raspberry Pi/music-pc/mobiles to get the required files to playback on the respective devices. So should I be concerned with the NAS feeding the devices at slower speed (stuttering in movies/music playback) it being only the storage and no processing will be done at its side as the NAS is only 800 Mhz and 256mb RAM. I am going to use like the simple file sharing box without any processing being done at its end.

Synology is a great storage device as well with SHR and all, so its not like if we are using it just for storage we are loosing out something. For movies and videos even I use my HTPC/Media player to playback (not the NAS even thought it has this amazing Video Station) only for Audio I am using my synology USB audio out with E10 DAC. I am also using my rasp pi as my logitech media server even though synology also has it own built in Logitech Server.

When NAS feeds the stream to the playback device all processing is done at the player end. The only thing used and to be of some concern is the network bandwidth, which is good enough for casual videos and FLACS. Only for full HD ISO you might want to keep a gigabit network.

SO I guess you are pretty safe all departments ..... :)

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back