Samsung LA40A610 or LA40A550P1 ?

..want to make the purchase before the new year .. any suggestions on where I could get the PV8 for 48K (or less) in Bangalore. I will be buying the TV along with Onkyo 5100 ( auditioned other HT combinations over the weekend..pure acoustics / Jamo / Elac with various AVR's) and finally decided that the best way forward (for me) would be to start with the 5100 package and get better speakers down the line.... I have a one year old daughter ..so not too comfortable with floor standing speakers.
Well sriramiyer don know about the tv, but the ht-s5100 seems to be a good htib though, a good start i can say, and it doesn't break the bank either...
But u should know, it has no HD audio decoding, so u ve to feed in analogs if u want true 7.1 from a BD player and it does not up convert the video, it is just pass through using hdmi...
I myself wanted to buy one, but opted to wait for the ht-s6100, any idea wen it is getting released in india?..

Well excuse me if i am wrong, but i don think it is 16:9 Gurudristi.
As u may know, aspect ratio is calculated by dividing the no. of horizontal pixels by vertical pixels, which in this case is 1024/768 which amounts to 4:3, which is your normal aspect ratio not the wide one.
They manage to give u a wide screen experience by changing the spacing between these pixels(viz horizontal spacing) which again leads to pixelation.

But anyway, about my usage, isn't it better to be future ready, because u rarely change the television, and the future is HD, one way or the other.

Dear Nikhil,

Thanks for the acknowledgement.:D
Actually, you are quite right, since the resolution is 1024X768 (1.33) which is 4:3.
However, most of the manufacturers have put these resolutions into a 16:9 format screen. (if u check the lenght and height of the panel) and therefore call them 16:9 format screens ;)
The minimum resolution for a HD format is 720(height), that why you get panels with 720p(progressive) or 1080p( where the height is 1080 pixels). Interlaced and progressive are ways as to how the picture is formed on the the screen(could start seperate thread)
The length of the screen does not decide the HD format. ( it could be 1024, 1366 or 1920)

Common screen formats and their formulas are as follows:
Cinema Scope 2.35:1
Letterbox Video 1.85:1
HDTV 1.78:1
NTSC Video 1.33:1

accordingly,

HD Ready are the ones which can show upto 720p. Most manufacturers are offering the following resolution =1024x768 or 1366x768
full HD : which can show upto 1080p are 1920x1080

Interestingly, Hitachi has a Plasma model called P42 A01 which is in 16:9 format, has a resolution of 1024 x1080.

In short, Go with your viewing pleasures. Just a memo, do remember plasma pictures are more smoother while LCD are crisper and are punishing on bad signals.:(

Have you actually used the 3D capability on the A450 ?

I haven't managed a side by side comparison but didn't find a significant difference between the A450 and the PV8 .. though the dealers tell me that PV8 is 400 Hz while the A450 is 100 Hz .. no sure how much of an impact this makes.

Anyway, since the PV8 is cheaper by 5 - 7 K ... is 3D capability + possibly superior customer service of samsung worth the price difference ... I am still inclined towards the PV8 :)

To be frank , I have not used the 3D capability.:eek: However, am planning to buy a PS3 and would then be using the 3D.
I am not sure of the 100Hz issue, but the plasma is performing all right both on TV as well as on DVDs.

Put them side by side and go with what your eyes tell you.

Try to check them out with the lighting conditions as they are at your home and not the showroom brightly lit environment.

first, take the remote in your hands and set both the TVs with similar setting and then compare.

Then set them up the best you can without checking on the other TV and then compare.again....:cool:

Take what you eyes tell you

I have no doubt on the after sales service of Samsung....Excellent is the word... Please call their service numbers and check on their response.

Last edited:
hey guys

u have confused me again
i was planning to buy Panny Pv8 but now i have come across that its resolution is 1024*768 (4:3).

how will it respond when i will connect my laptop with it.
in my knowledge it will just widen the normal resolotion and pictures will be distorted.

what do u say guys.
i wanna tv basically for widescreen viewing
Should i go for LCD?

pls help out
thanks

Last edited:
it is confusing....:confused: and thats why a lot of us are there to help...:)

There is a lot of difference between format and resolution.:eek: check this wikipedia site

High-definition television - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Its a detailed explanation about HD, Check out the details on HD TV regarding your doubts about rescaling

Quote from the site

A common native resolution used in HD Ready LCD TV panels is 1366 x 768[16] pixels instead of the ATSC Standard 1280 x 720 pixels. This is due to maximization of manufacturing yield and resolution of VGA, VRAM that comes with a 768 pixel format. Hence, LCD manufacturers adopt the 16:9 ratio compatible for the HD Ready 1080p video standard. Nevertheless, every HDTV has an overscan processing chipset to fix resolution scaling and color rendering, eg LG XD Engine, SONY BRAVIA Engine. Only when viewing 1080i/1080p HD contents under HD Ready 1080p where there is true pixel-for-pixel reproduction, and for HD ready LCD TV, do some signals undergo a scaling process which results in a 3-5% loss of picture.

Unquote

In my view, LCDs display are better if you want to use it with your laptop. Plasma may not perform upto your expectation.:rolleyes:

However, I feel and recommend that with the current transmissions of TV, plasma performs better, even when viewing DVDs in low to normal lighting conditions.

maximization of manufacturing yield and resolution of VGA, VRAM that comes with a 768 pixel format

one of the reasons the LCD manufs might be doing this is to use the same lines as PC monitors to manufacture the TVs. This is a cost cutting measure and lines up with the term "maximization of manufacturing yield" above since computers are defaulted to 1024 x 768.

I picked up few quote on HDTV /plasmas from the net for all my friends confused over their buying as well as auditioning a Plasma:)

HDTV Guide for Plasma TV buyers

High Definition Television is the new buzzword in the world of television. More often, the word HDTV is in a sense analogous to higher resolution. As a result, we indulge in a simple calculation: the greater the resolution, the better the picture quality will be. As a result, we go for flat panels which have high native resolution like 720p or 1080p. But, is the resolution only one criteria for judging the picture quality of a display? It is true that the higher resolution ensures sharper pictures. However, there are also other features like colour reproduction, brightness and contrast which are equally, may be, more important than resolution as the over-all picture quality is the hybrid of all these features.

While you go through plasma reviews, the specification of the TV often provides you with essential information like resolution, contrast ratio, response time etc. If you are already familiar with these terms, you may often find yourself in a better position to choose the best Plasma TV to suit your taste. It is also a good idea to navigate through the features listed in the review. Double check, whether the plasma TV which lures your attention with its stylish design and excellent specs, has been provided with anti-glare technology as the plasma screens have a natural tendency to reflect light in ambient conditions. Especially, when you plan to install your plasma tv in a bright room, this feature is often useful.

Well, how to evaluate the performance of a plasma TV? As a thumb of rule, branded Plasma TVs often render great pictures. However there is a maze of specification which may often bewilder you if you are not so familiar with. Fortunately, it is not be- all and end-all.

You may still become a better judge of plasma TV than a reviewer using these simple techniques:
Check how the colours look on the screen. Do they look natural and accurate? How is the colour saturation? How do the nearest hues appear distinct?

Next important consideration is the black levels achieved by the TV. Play a DVD and watch dark scenes on the screen. You should be able to see the darkest objects without graying. It is a good idea to test this feature in a little dark room instead of bright room.

Test the sharpness the pictures by reducing the brightness settings as the maximum brightness may often hide the flaws. Reducing the brightness and contrast to 50 % of their original settings often help you to judge the picture quality.

Most Plasma TVs boast of their HDTV capabilities. It is wise to put them under a test before you invest money. If the retailers cannot provide HDTV broadcast, a Blue ray disc or a DVD often makes best video material to test the performance of the TV.

Be familiarized with the remote and meddle with all the pre-sets which modify how the images look on the screen. Some of the Plasma TVs have come up with a myriad of useful presets which may add greater value to your money

Enjoy and CHEERS!:cool:

Not sure which year this article was written. Two glaring omissions it makes is that it does not talk about budget and screen sizes at all!

Most Plasma TVs boast of their HDTV capabilities. It is wise to put them under a test before you invest money. If the retailers cannot provide HDTV broadcast, a Blue ray disc or a DVD often makes best video material to test the performance of the TV.

From my experince as a plasma owner the one thing that ticks me off is the quality of SD broadcast from Tata Sky. In the couple times I have hooked up a Blu ray player to my TV (I don't own one) the picture was excellent, the SD broadcast is a majority of viewing and I would contend to look at this to get guage of its capabilities.

Be familiarized with the remote and meddle with all the pre-sets which modify how the images look on the screen. Some of the Plasma TVs have come up with a myriad of useful presets which may add greater value to your money

I don't see how this point has anything to do the with TV capabilities.

Well sriramiyer don know about the tv, but the ht-s5100 seems to be a good htib though, a good start i can say, and it doesn't break the bank either...
But u should know, it has no HD audio decoding, so u ve to feed in analogs if u want true 7.1 from a BD player and it does not up convert the video, it is just pass through using hdmi...
I myself wanted to buy one, but opted to wait for the ht-s6100, any idea wen it is getting released in india?..

I know the 5100 does not up convert but am planning to get a pioneer 610 and link it directly to the PV8; as for HD audio decoding ..didnt know about this aspect .. which system

hey guys

u have confused me again
i was planning to buy Panny Pv8 but now i have come across that its resolution is 1024*768 (4:3).

how will it respond when i will connect my laptop with it.
in my knowledge it will just widen the normal resolotion and pictures will be distorted.

what do u say guys.
i wanna tv basically for widescreen viewing
Should i go for LCD?

pls help out
thanks

tinny,

Really no confusion. Just go with what you like since you have to live with it. Don't let others influence you too much to the point of confusing you...

Does 6100 comes with HD Audio? Not sure if it will upscale though, might be only pass through since upconverting is done only in the very high end AVRs.

BTW on Amazon they are talking about Onkyo 7100 now...

I know the 5100 does not up convert but am planning to get a pioneer 610 and link it directly to the PV8; as for HD audio decoding ..didnt know about this aspect .. which system

HD Audio is the next level of audio, High Definition audio to go along with High Definition video. Dolby Labs are out with TrueHD while the DTS guys are out with DTS-HD Master Audio. You can read up more at Dolby TrueHD - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and DTS-HD Master Audio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Content will be an issue till Blu-Ray becomes more mainstream, but it does make sense if you want to be ahead/current with technology or want to be future safe for a couple of years at least. I am sure though something new will come along in a couple of years or so to make us want to upgrade our h/w and s/w...

BTW you will need a Blu-Ray player for HD Audio. Upscaling DVDP will not do. So basically you are looking to upgrade your entire setup.

Last edited:

Linking up a bd player with good up conversion ll always help the picture quality, since the tv's usually come with pretty poor conversion chips...
Yes HD isn't just about video, it covers audio too... 7.1 generic audio is said to be HD audio... To get 7.1, there should be a HD audio decoder either in the receiver or the player, check whether pioneer 610 has in built decoding, because the receiver in ht-s5100 doesn't have it...

Does 6100 comes with HD Audio? Not sure if it will upscale though, might be only pass through since upconverting is done only in the very high end AVRs.

BTW on Amazon they are talking about Onkyo 7100 now...

Yup 6100 does have hd audio decoding...
Yes it does up convert to 1080i, but from what i have read, it is pretty poor at it, not even upto ps3's up conversion standards... its better to go for a player wit good up conversion instead of depending on 6100...
And yes 7100 is out too, but minor differences, it comes with 2 speaker stands in the package...

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back