Samsung Universal RF 3D Glasses SSG-4100 - Review

just4kix

Samsung Universal RF 3D Glasses SSG-4100 - Review​

Today, my friend from US came by and he dropped me 4 pairs of Samsung SSG-4100GB Universal RF 3D glasses. Having used them for a while, I thought I should post a review. I purchased these glasses and from USA for the following reasons:
  • Panasonic supplied only 2 pairs of glasses
  • Original Panasonic glasses are bloody expensive - last checked, the dealer quoted Rs. 4,800 a pair.
  • Samsung glasses are way cheaper at Rs. 1,300 a pair but Samsung India would not sell me these. They said that they have limited stock to go with their TVs only.
  • Cheaper at Amazon.com but Amazon.com would not ship to India. Hence ordered them via a friend coming down for a visit.
So, here are my own impressions.

Packing & package contents: Much better than the Panasonic packing (at least what came with the TV). The pictures below show the packing:

20121215_181055_zpsa5f55936.jpg

20121215_181116_zps088d7ee8.jpg

20121215_181246_zpsaee5df81.jpg

The package contains a user manual that is missing with the Panasonic glasses. The battery is also separately pouched. In the Panasonic glasses, the battery (CR2025) was already installed but disconnected (protected) by a plastic sheet.

Installation/Assembly: Unlike the Panasonic (and most other) 3D glasses, the Samsung 3D glasses require some assembly. First the battery must be installed. This is done by slipping off the battery cover, inserting the battery and closing the slip cover. The glass holder ear pieces have to be slipped/snugged into the main glasses holder. The actual active shutter glasses had a protective plastic cover that needs to be peeled off (on both sides). After assembly the glasses look like this:

20121215_181333_zpsa0f12ee1.jpg

In the Panasonic glasses, one had to pull off the protective plastic and you were good to go.

Stowage: The Panasonic (and most other) 3D glasses have the traditional style. The ear holders fold down like a regular goggles and storing in a case is easy. Not so with the Samsung glasses - the holders that go over the ears do not fold. So unless you unassemble/detract the pieces, the glasses must be stored as is. This is something bad about these glasses.

Comfort: The Samsung glasses are lighter than the Panasonic (and most other) 3D glasses. They are almost weightless when worn. But they tend to leak light from the sides.

Usability: Now coming to brasstacks, this is where most people would be interested:
  • perfectly compatible with the Panasonic ST50; so I guess will work with any Panasonic 2012 or ?T50 models
  • I did not have to change polarity at all; I tested with IMAX Deep Sea 3D and alternated between original Panasonic glasses and Samsung; there was adjustment required in the 3D options
  • as stated above, they are nearly weightless when worn; you do not even feel anything
  • although they leak some light from the sides, it is something that people will learn to live with
The On/Off switch is press on/press off toggle type. It is very tiny. In the Panasonic, the on/off switch is a slider type and easier to operate. This one take a little getting used to. But in no way this is a bummer.

20121215_183257_zps95294ffd.jpg

Cost: On Amazon, these glasses cost US$ 17.99 a pair (when I ordered). My friend (in Dallas, Texas) had to pay 7% sales tax. So the total cost came to $19.25 or Rs. 1058.75. I ordered 4 pairs and hence I saved Rs. 965.

Overall: A much cheaper alternative to the original glasses. Highly recommended because for a price of one pair (in India), I got four.

p/s. If I have missed out something, please do ask.

I had damaged the slider switch in the Panasonic glasses [Rechargeable] and got it replaced thrice in 1 month :). It had a very poor construction. The Samsung glasses you got looks good for the price and also no slider, so no need to be careful too :rolleyes:

Thanks for the review. So you can use these Samsung active glasses with the Panasonic TV? No problem of sync or cross-talk?

rightly put... i have been using this... there is light leaking from rear portions..
overall its very comfotable ... i wear it over my specs.. still i find them comfortable .

havent drained the battery over usage yet.
should we purchase new battery or are there recharging options ?

I have had this for four months now..like all things 3d initial josh has subsided...I just keep my four pairs next to tv....so they too gather dust on daily basis...I was not able to review quality as I don't have panny glasses...so nice to know they are same as panny

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back