Sansui AU-417 amp

need inputs on how the phono stage performs. plus in general how are Sansui amps?

"In general", the Sansui AU series are considered to be one of the best amps ever made. Just make sure you carry out checks as suggested to FM kittu in another global hi-fi forum.

Getting back to the thread topic, I would suggest that you go in for an used amp that is more 'contemporary' in the Indian Context. I mean its better to go in for a technics, pioneer, kenwood and the like rather than relatively lesser known amps. Since you are in b'lore, do make use of the ability to audition before buying and in that respect, go in for a Sansui AU series with at least about 60 w on tap. Buy it only if you like the sound and appearance. Check all input/output selectors/connectors are working, listen for any undue hum with the source connected. Check for absence of the POP noise from your speakers when you switch the amp on or off. If all that is OK, its presumably safe to consider it. The point is that you can land a good used amp, albeit mostly sans remote, for abt half the cost of a sonodyne. The only thing which it may require is changing the capacitors as these tend to dry out esp over long periods of disuse. Not too much of a hassle if you know a scrupulous and capable mech. See, no matter what you buy as your first amp, I assure you that you WILL upgrade as soon a you have the money, so why go overboard at the outset. So, its better that you go in fr a pre-owned amp now and put away the balance towards going in for either a new integrated or pre-owned separates(remember bi-amping) later.
UNQUOTE

However, careful inspection and audition is a mandatory pre-requisite.
You may like to read this
Sansui AU-417 Integrated Amplifiers Reviews

Amplifiers

If in a good condition, go for it but that depends on what is quoted for it, IMHO, it should not cost more than 10-11k, 12k at most even if impeccable but luckier guys have also got it for much less, do keep that in mind.

(BTW, I tend to agree with FM Hemant Waghe on what he has suggested in your technics thread.)
Regards

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply. However, my problem is that there is means for me to perform checks on the phono stage as the seller hasn't got a turntable. However, he can perform all other checks for me. Also, there is a good chance that the amp may have been worked upon. Would it be advisable to buy the amp if it has been tweaked?

Thank you for the reply. However, my problem is that there is means for me to perform checks on the phono stage as the seller hasn't got a turntable. However, he can perform all other checks for me. Also, there is a good chance that the amp may have been worked upon. Would it be advisable to buy the amp if it has been tweaked?

See if you can persuade the seller to carry it to a friends house who has a TT as a TT is more fragile in transit than an amp.

As far as your query about the tweak goes, there's only one way to find out, by asking the seller if you can get the lid popped in his presence in front of a pro restorer like FM Akshay here.

OTOH, if you have keen ears, which I am sure you do, and if you like the sound and its aesthetically OK, why bother? Do compare the sound with that of an amp that you are absolutely familiar with.
HTH

He has checked the amp and the sounds seems nice. Yes, opening up the amp is the only way to check for tweaks. Thanks.

Also please give some feedback about the Technics amp.

Last edited:
Who is he, brother?

Firstly, you must realize that there is a diff betweenn tweaking and repairing. Tweaking is slang that usually denotes modification to enhance performance. If the tweak is successful, it should ideally sound better than the 'stock version'. If it sounds better than the stock version, it probably is, provided it doesn't heat up unusually while sounding better. In this case however, you will not be able to compare unless the seller has one amp which is tweaked while the other one is stock.

Secondly, read this line deliberately again from post 3 above.
"I mean its better to go in for a technics, pioneer, kenwood and the like rather than relatively lesser known amps."

But do remember that some great manufacturers have made lousy products though the converse may not be so common, but it has happened.

I am not familiar with the particular technics amp that you talk about in the other thread. Googling it may lead to further insight. Also, very often, ebay/audiogon prices are usually a good indicator of the component's popularity and reputation.

Read this
How To Find and Buy Used Audio Equipment Guide | Audioreview
How To Find and Buy Used Audio Equipment Guide | Audioreview

Next, don't worry and upset yourself as it takes some time before, as a newcomer, you get used to forum rules, courtesies and traditions. It happened with me too, much worse in fact. All part of the wider learning process and MUST be taken in that spirit alone.

Regards

an amp more than 25-30 years old would have, at some point in time, been on a service technician's desk for some reason or the other. the key here is to ensure that replacement components were of good quality and of matching value. it is common for indian service technicians to use locally procured spares and even compromise on value. for example, if a electrolytic cap5 uf has to be replaced, if not available, the technician is likely to use 4.7uf. these little variances have an impact on performance. keep your eyes and ears open :)

thanks reubensm,

valid point there. i am in a fix about this. to go for it or not. i mean it sounds good to the ears and all but your point has to taken into consideration. plus it is not coming at a bargain. it is fairly priced at Rs 8000.

need inputs on how the phono stage performs. plus in general how are Sansui amps?

Long ago I had two Sansui Integrated Amps one was AU-D7 and they were wonderful " Made in Japan " product which are no more available.....If you get any Sansui amp. in good condition then go for it.

Its very painful to see a company like Sansui stop making good quality product and becoming a Chinese Company like Nakamichi.

an amp more than 25-30 years old would have, at some point in time, been on a service technician's desk for some reason or the other. the key here is to ensure that replacement components were of good quality and of matching value. it is common for indian service technicians to use locally procured spares and even compromise on value. for example, if a electrolytic cap5 uf has to be replaced, if not available, the technician is likely to use 4.7uf. these little variances have an impact on performance. keep your eyes and ears open :)

Getting Quality Service is very difficult in our Country , most technicians are dishonest and have half baked knowledge on electronics. Many of my equipments are lost for ever due to poor service.........:sad:

hi deba,

exactly. i am so interested in this because it is Sansui AU series. really in a fix about this. if it would have been around Rs 5000 i would have picked it up. but i guess now i will have to open it up and have a look inside for repairs, etc.

Very true.

An amp of that vintage will need a full service including replacing
any dried up/dead capacitors and relays with good quality equivalents,
and adjusting the bias, DC offset etc. Since these are likely to
be discrete designs (uses individual components like transistors, diodes etc,
instead of ICs), the technician may have to find and replace any
faulty components - for eg, some transistors may be leaky, or prone to failure
due to aging. Again, some of the parts may be hard to find.

Unless you know a very trustworthy technician or can read the
service manuals and get info from audiokarma etc to do the service
yourself, going in for this kind of amp could be a disappointment.

Hi
I just sold my Sansui FM/Amp (dont know the model) with the 2 speakers, (one woofer 10", three mid range & two tweeters) in each cabinet, it was approx 20 yrs old, used it with my Turntable/CD/Cassette, very good sound and more important could be easily serviced with parts available, only once did the output transistor go but generally only the fuses had to be replaced, I sold the lot for Rs.4000/- and bought an Onkyo, which is not good for music, Sansui was best known for its Amps as Poineer for their speakers in the early 70's & 80's. Go ahead you wont regret your buy

thanks reubensm,

valid point there. i am in a fix about this. to go for it or not. i mean it sounds good to the ears and all but your point has to taken into consideration. plus it is not coming at a bargain. it is fairly priced at Rs 8000.

Methinx 8k is a good price if the condition is OK. When you pop the lid, check the transformer cover inside. Most AU series were not bare. If it appears that the lid has been removed, LET IT GO. Also, look for philips(india) and keltron components inside esp keltron. Now, that only means that its been repaired in India. How well, will have to be ascertaine from the schematic/repair manual by an expert. Give it a go. BTW, most exactly matching caps in India that I found for the AU 101 come from Philips and Keltron.

Last edited:
Its very painful to see a company like Sansui stop making good quality product and becoming a Chinese Company like Nakamichi.

The attack of the Chinese Audio Brigade on the audio world at large had begun long ago and they are capturing hearts, minds and wallets. And mind you, they are not necessarily targeting the budget end of buyers.

There are some genuinely well-received and well-reviewed Chinese audio gear, spanning the whole gamut from digital and analog sources, even tonearms, SS/tubed/hybrid pre-amps & power amps, and speakers. For a sampler, check out this Hongkong webstore which seems to be stocking the best of what China has to offer: Cattylink Analog Research

Hybrid CD players seems to be very popular thrust area for many of the Chinese OEMs.
Joshua

Hey there gangof4
So what have you done about the amp purchase?
How about an update mate? You owe that much to all, (if not a collective thank-you) who took time out to help/ responded to your queries. As in life, same on forum - you get some, you give some.

Thats friendly advice, bro, take it or leave it.
Regards

hi there,

been super busy lately so have not been able to follow it up with the person selling. thanks anyway.

Sansui AU and AUD and TU series of tuners were legendary products. In 1970s

Though Kenwood, Sansui and Prioneer were good rivals but Sansui"s Products

gave overperformance than the spects given by the company.If that quality

has to be maintained now the manufacturing cost will be very high and maynot
be witghin our reach. Hence if any of these products are available for a reasonable
price it is preferred that we should go for them. Only thing to be considered
is that the seller is not a professional cheater in second sales as per my best
experience and knowledge.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back