bi amping

oldguyYV8410

Hey Guys, First time user here, and I'm imterested in your thoughts. I have a Sansui Eight Delux receiver(1970). I am using it with Polk RTi A7 tower speakers, very happy with the performance, its about three years now. I would like to Bi amp the system. I have read some on line suggestions but still unsure of the process. first thought is the Sansui a good unit to start with, and if so what would be a good match for as another amp. Or should the Sansui be put back in the box and start from scratch. I don't know how much work would have to be done on the polks, to use active crossover, but i think thats the way i would like to go.
thanks for any thoughts on this project, they will all be considered and appericated.

Hey Guys, First time user here, and I'm imterested in your thoughts. I have a Sansui Eight Delux receiver(1970). I am using it with Polk RTi A7 tower speakers, very happy with the performance, its about three years now. I would like to Bi amp the system. I have read some on line suggestions but still unsure of the process. first thought is the Sansui a good unit to start with, and if so what would be a good match for as another amp. Or should the Sansui be put back in the box and start from scratch. I don't know how much work would have to be done on the polks, to use active crossover, but i think thats the way i would like to go.
thanks for any thoughts on this project, they will all be considered and appericated.
Hi :)

Glad to know you are happy with the Sansui. Fondly hope you have checked the internals, especially the caps to be sure they are all OK inside considering their age. I woud'nt bother going fully active with 3 amps unless the speakers are DIY or especially designed as a 3 way speaker. I think the RTI A7 are a 2.5 way design if my memory serves me right.

Going ahead I would look at a more modern amp as a possible upgrade to the Sansui, but only your ears can be the judge . So better audition at home before you pull the trigger. A more powerful amp will run the speakers at their optimum without having to faff with passive biamping.

However, if you are really happy with the sansui, and are looking for a change in presentation, then you can consider adding tube amps for mids and treble. You will need a stereo tube power amp with a gain switch. So that you feed the tube amp from the preamp outputs of the sansui, and then adjust the gain on the tube amps to balance out the mids / treble to match the volume of the Sansui. Ideally you'd want the tube amps to have higher gain than the present Sansui. And then you wire the sansui to the lower binding posts of the speakers and the tube amps to the upper binding posts of the speakers.

In the RTI A7's pic I couldnt see any external jumper connecting the two sets of speaker binding posts. However, if it is present then same has to be removed before biamping. If same cannot be found outside, then the jumper might be present internally, which will mean removing the binding posts to access the crossover and removing the jumper there. All the best :)

For starters, remove the jumpers between the 2 sets of binding posts at the speaker end.
Leave the speaker wire at the speaker end connected to 1 set of binding posts.
Run an additional set of speaker wires from your Sansui (from the "System B" or "System C" sets) to the 2nd set of binding posts at the speaker end that is currently unconnected.
From the front panel of the Sansui, turn the "Speakers" knob to either "A+B" or "A+C" depending upon whether you connected the additional set of speaker wires to "System B" or "System C".
Do you hear a difference?

Bi- amping refers to two stereo amps connected to the compatible speakers high frequency and mid-low frequency terminals after removing the jumpers. Bi-wiring is connecting one amp to a compatible speaker using different cable sets for high and low frequencies.

Does your sansui have pre outs? If yes then you could hook up 2 class D amps to power the speakers. Aiyima and fossi amps being very popular these days. You could also try crown and emotiva at a higher price bracket.

MaSh

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back